Can an MSP430 Handle 1MSPS 16-Bit Sampling for Five Channels?

• Thread starter dmorris619
  • Start date
In summary, your sampling rate needs to be 1MSPS at a resolution of 16 bits for approximately 8 milli seconds. You need to sample five channels simultaneously and store the values in memory until they can be offloaded to a non-volatile memory source after sampling is done. However, you could use FIFO memory that is 16-18 bits wide to speed up the process.
dmorris619
I am having a bit of a sampling rate problem in terms of choosing a microprocessor for the project I am working on. Where everything stands right now is that my sampling rate needs to be 1MSPS at a resolution of 16 bits for approximately 8 milli seconds. I need to sample five channels simultaneously and store the values in memory until they can be offloaded to a non-volatile memory source after sampling is done. I know there are analog to digital converters that sample at 1MSPS at 16 bits resolution, my problem really lies in clocking that data off the ADC fast enough to store it some temporary volatile memory and this problems gets made worse by having to clock all five channels out before the next sample.

Part of my requirements as well is that it be low power so it has to be a microprocessor, I was hoping to find something really low power like an MSP430. I just do not think it has the power to read the data off that quickly. However I can use multiple microprocessors to handle a single ADC, provided they all sample in phase with one another.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I am open to very inventive solutions.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Assuming you are using a parallel ADC, why not simply use FIFO memory that is 16-18 bits wide? It is cheap, easy, low power and comes in speed grades from a few Mhz to more than 100mhz.

Fish

Fish4Fun said:
Assuming you are using a parallel ADC, why not simply use FIFO memory that is 16-18 bits wide? It is cheap, easy, low power and comes in speed grades from a few Mhz to more than 100mhz.

Fish

That definitely sounds like a possibility. Assuming my ADC can clock out the data at a rate similar to the FIFO memory and both are above the master clock rate of my MSP430, say 16MHz, could I in practice shift out the data from the ADC to the FIFO at a rate of 16Mhz? Is there some limitation of the MSP430 or something else that would limit this?

The biggest problem I see is that most 16 bit ADCs with "multiple channels" only contain a single ADC and simply switch the inputs to the ADC, which precludes taking "simultaneous" readings. I see several ways around this, but they can get expensive. In your OP, you suggested you needed 1MSPS for 8mS (8000 samples per channel, 40k total samples, 80kb of data). You could obviously achieve this with five ADCs operating @ 1MSPS and five FIFOs > 8k x 16. You could use five ADCs @ 1MSPS and a single FIFO >40k x 16 and simply "Mux" the data in. You could use a single ADC > 5MSPS and switch the Analog Inputs to take five samples XnS apart.

5 channel, 16 bit resolution @ 1MSPS for 8mS is a lot of data and can be tricky to pull off. The additional caveat of "low power" makes the design that much more difficult. Since you do not intend to use the on chip ADCs in the MSP430, you might consider different uControllers, or perhaps even an FPGA. An FPGA could be synthesized to act as both FIFO and uController.

Thinking more on it, I think an FPGA might be the best route to go. If this is a "one off" project, you might consider simply buying an "FPGA Eval/Demo Board" and "plugging it into" your analog board.

Just trying to "think".

Fish

Related to Can an MSP430 Handle 1MSPS 16-Bit Sampling for Five Channels?

1. What is the significance of 1MSPS in a 16-bit MCU?

The acronym MSPS stands for "mega-samples per second," which refers to the speed at which an MCU (microcontroller unit) can process analog-to-digital conversions. A 1MSPS 16-bit MCU is capable of converting analog signals into digital values at a rate of 1 million samples per second. This high speed allows for more accurate and precise measurements of analog signals.

2. How does a 16-bit MCU differ from an 8-bit or 32-bit MCU?

The number of bits in an MCU refers to the size of the data it can process in a single instruction. A 16-bit MCU can handle data in 16-bit chunks, while an 8-bit MCU can only handle 8-bit chunks and a 32-bit MCU can handle 32-bit chunks. This means that a 16-bit MCU can process larger and more complex data, making it more suitable for applications that require higher precision and accuracy.

3. What are some common applications for 1MSPS 16-bit MCUs?

1MSPS 16-bit MCUs are commonly used in applications that require high-speed and accurate analog-to-digital conversions, such as data acquisition systems, medical devices, industrial control systems, and instrumentation devices. They are also used in audio and video processing, motor control, and sensor data processing.

4. What are some potential challenges or limitations with 1MSPS 16-bit MCUs?

One potential challenge with 1MSPS 16-bit MCUs is power consumption. The high speed and precision of these MCUs require more power, which can be a concern for battery-powered devices. Another limitation is the cost, as 16-bit MCUs tend to be more expensive than 8-bit MCUs. Additionally, the high speed of these MCUs may require more complex circuitry and design, which can add to the overall cost and complexity of a project.

5. How can I choose the right 1MSPS 16-bit MCU for my project?

When choosing a 1MSPS 16-bit MCU, it is important to consider your project's specific requirements and the features offered by different MCUs. Some factors to consider include the number of analog inputs, the resolution and accuracy of the ADC, the available memory and processing speed, and the communication protocols supported. It is also helpful to research and compare different MCUs from different manufacturers to find the best fit for your project.