1st year calc, simple trig derivative

In summary, In this conversation, the expert summarizer explains that the chain rule is used to calculate the derivative of cos2(x). There are three different ways to do this, and the expert has trouble with one of them.
m0286
Hello!
This is probably real simple, just I am confused the question is Differentiate the following
y=sin^2 x - cos^2 x
I know you need to use just f'(x)+g'(x)
and I know the derivate of sinx is cosx and derivative of cosx is -sinx... but what do you do with the sin^2... is the derivate of sin^2x just cos^2x? and derivate of cos^2x just -sin^2x? THANKS

Physics news on Phys.org
An easy way to think about it is cos^2(x) = cos(x) * cos(x), and use the chain rule (first times the derivative of the second, plus the second times the derivitave of the first)...

You could make it even easier by substituting in:
sin^2 x = 1 - cos^2 x
Then you get:
y = 1 - cos^2 x - cos^2 x = 1 - 2cos^2 x
And then you only have to use the chain rule (or product rule) once. :)

Unless I'm mistaken, [itex] cos^2 x - sin^2 x = cos 2x [/itex], so can you use that?

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
An easy way to think about it is cos^2(x) = cos(x) * cos(x), and use the chain rule (first times the derivative of the second, plus the second times the derivitave of the first)...

Yes, it can be done that way, but that's not the "chain rule", it is the "product rule".

To use the chain rule, let u(x)= cos(x) and y(u)= u2. Then dy/dx= (dy/du)(du/dx). That will give the derivative of cos2(x).
Also, of course, if you let u(x)= sin(x) and y(u)= u2 you can do exactly the same thing to get the derivative of sin2(x).

I assume that you know that d(f(x)+ g(x))/dx= df/dx+ dg/dx.

Looks like there are 3 different ways to do this!

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, it can be done that way, but that's not the "chain rule", it is the "product rule".
Oopsies, thanks for the correction. :blushing:

hello!
Thanks a lot for the help... I decided to use the product rule since I am most familiar with that.
So once I did that I ended up with
(sinx)(cosx)+(sinx)(cosx) and (cosx)(-sinx)+(cosx)(-sinx)
so you add them together for f'(x)=h'(x)+g'(x)
now i ALWAYS mess these big things up... so here's what i did:
((sinx)(cosx)+(sinx)(cosx)) + ((cosx)(-sinx)+(cosx)(-sinx))
=2(sinxcosx)+2(cosx(-sinx))
=2sinx+2cosx+2cosx-2sinx
=0sinx+4cosx
=4cosx
Now that doesn't seem right can someone help me with what I am doing wrong? Or was the answer just 2(sinxcosx)+2(cosx(-sinx))... and I took it to far? THANKS!

There are some minor problems in your work.
m0286 said:
now i ALWAYS mess these big things up... so here's what i did:
((sinx)(cosx)+(sinx)(cosx)) + ((cosx)(-sinx)+(cosx)(-sinx))
The plus sign is wrong, you can take a look at the problem again, it's
y = sin2x - cos2x :)
=2(sinxcosx)+2(cosx(-sinx))
=2sinx+2cosx+2cosx-2sinx
How can you go from the former expression to latter one? Are you trying to say that
sin(x)cos(x) = sin(x) + cos(x)?
------------
Apart from that, everything looks perfect. :)

Ok thnx :)
I see it was a stupid mistake...
I went from
=2(sinxcosx)+2(cosx(-sinx)) to
=2sinx+2cosx+2cosx-2sinx Because i multiplied them by the 2 infront of the brackets.. guess that's wrong! haha but thanks. I always get confused when you do certain things and dont. Thanks for all your help!

I don't mean to put you down but you really need to review your algebra. My experience is that people who cannot do algebra easily have a very hard time with calculus.

Surely you cannot believe that
2(sin x cos x)= 2sin x+ 2cos x!

Because you were differentiating sin2x- cos2x you should have 2sin x cos x- (-2sin x cosx)= 2sin x cos x+ 2sin x cos x.

Remember that finchie-88 pointed out that cos2x- sin2x= cos(2x)? Take the derivative of cos(2x) and compare it with the above.

1. What is the basic concept of calculus?

The basic concept of calculus is the study of change and motion. It involves two main branches: differential calculus, which deals with instantaneous rates of change and slopes of curves, and integral calculus, which deals with the accumulation of quantities and the area under curves.

2. What is a derivative in calculus?

A derivative is a function that describes the rate of change of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable. In simpler terms, it is the slope of a curve at a specific point.

3. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the rules of differentiation, which include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of any algebraic function.

4. What is the derivative of a trigonometric function?

The derivative of a trigonometric function is the slope of the function at a specific point. The derivatives of common trigonometric functions include: sin x = cos x, cos x = -sin x, tan x = sec^2 x, csc x = -csc x cot x, sec x = sec x tan x, and cot x = -csc^2 x.

5. How is the derivative of a function used in real life?

The derivative of a function has many real-world applications, such as calculating the velocity of a moving object, finding the maximum or minimum points of a function, and determining the rate of change of a quantity in a given situation. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to model and analyze real-world phenomena.