Solving 2 Blocks on a Slope: Find fmax Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two masses, m1 and m2, with specific values and friction coefficients. The question asks for the necessary fmax for the two masses to stay together and not fall. The conversation also mentions an acceleration variable and a potential solution with a slightly different answer than the expected 11.2N. It is suggested to upload the solution for verification.
shashlik

Homework Statement

hey I need help with this question I have this sketch and the tell me that m1= 2 kg, m2= 5 kg the say that we don't have friction between m2 and the floor the kinetic friction between m1 and m2 is 0.2 and the static friction is 0.5 and we have the f - f pushing m1

Homework Equations

what fmax need to be that m2 and m1 will stay together and don't fall

Attachments

• מטלה 6 גוף על גוף-12.jpg
    מטלה 6 גוף על גוף-12.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 257
  • צילום מסך 2019-03-23 ב-12.04.29.png
    צילום מסך 2019-03-23 ב-12.04.29.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 298
Physics news on Phys.org
shashlik said:
and don't fall
So what does that imply regarding your acceleration variable, a?

haruspex said:
So what does that imply regarding your acceleration variable, a?
its change
actually, I think I solved it but at the answer, that get 11.2 and I got 11.18
can i uploud and you check if i solved it correctly ?

shashlik said:
its change
actually, I think I solved it but at the answer, that get 11.2 and I got 11.18
can i uploud and you check if i solved it correctly ?
Typically an angle of 37 degrees is specified when the author intends a 3-4-5 triangle. Taking cos of it to be exactly .8, and using 10m/s##^2## for g, gives 11.2N exactly.

1. What is the purpose of solving 2 blocks on a slope?

Solving 2 blocks on a slope involves determining the maximum force (fmax) needed to move two blocks of varying masses on an inclined plane. This allows us to understand the relationship between mass, force, and gravity in a real-life scenario.

2. How do you calculate fmax for 2 blocks on a slope?

To calculate fmax, you will need to know the mass of each block, the angle of the slope, and the coefficient of friction between the blocks and the slope. Using Newton's Second Law and the equations for friction, you can determine the maximum force needed to move the blocks.

3. What factors affect the value of fmax for 2 blocks on a slope?

The value of fmax is affected by the mass of the blocks, the angle of the slope, and the coefficient of friction between the blocks and the slope. Additionally, the surface roughness and the presence of any external forces can also impact the value of fmax.

4. How can solving 2 blocks on a slope be useful in real-world applications?

Solving 2 blocks on a slope can be useful in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing ramps for wheelchairs or vehicles, determining the maximum weight a crane can lift on an incline, and understanding the forces involved in rockslides or avalanches.

5. Are there any limitations to solving 2 blocks on a slope?

While solving 2 blocks on a slope can provide valuable insights into the relationship between mass, force, and gravity, it is important to note that it is a simplified model. In real-world scenarios, there may be additional factors and forces at play that can affect the movement of objects on an inclined plane.