2 cars drag racing question

In summary, the two cars in a drag race have a constant velocity of 40 m/s and an acceleration of 3.6 m/s^2 respectively. The first car moves 10 m before the second car starts moving. By setting their final displacements equal to each other, the time and displacement before the two cars meet can be calculated.
i_heart_you
2 cars drag racing question...

Homework Statement

The first car has a constant velocity of 40 m/s and moves 10 m before the 2nd car starts moving. The second car speeds up with an acceleration of 3.6 m/s^2. What is the time and the displacesment before the 2 cars actually meet?

Homework Equations

V=d/t
d=V1t x (1/2) a t^2.. i think?

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out the time it took for the first car to travel 40 m... which would be equal to initial t for the second car. Since I want to find when the two cars have an equal displacement i set their displacements equal and it didn't really work out cause i ended up with a negative time for some reason?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi i_heart_you, welcome to PF.

Start by writing two kinematics equations, one for each car, giving the displacement as a function of time. The first one you posted is inapplicable here because it works for constant velocity only and the second one is incorrect. Don't guess, look 'em up.

thanks for your help... i finally figured it out
i just had to split up the displacements into initial and final and make the final displacements equal to each other...

1. How do you determine the winner of a drag race between two cars?

The winner of a drag race is determined by which car crosses the finish line first. This is typically done with the use of a timing system that measures the time it takes for each car to complete the race.

2. What factors can affect the outcome of a drag race between two cars?

There are several factors that can affect the outcome of a drag race, including the performance capabilities of each car, the skill of the driver, and the track conditions. Weather, such as temperature and wind, can also have an impact on the race.

3. How do you ensure a fair race between two cars in drag racing?

To ensure a fair race, both cars are typically required to meet certain regulations and specifications set by the governing body of the race. This includes things like weight, engine size, and safety equipment. Additionally, both cars are typically given equal time to warm up and prepare for the race.

4. What is the average speed of cars in a drag race?

The average speed of cars in a drag race can vary greatly depending on the type of race and the performance capabilities of the cars involved. However, it is not uncommon for cars to reach speeds of over 200 miles per hour in a drag race.

5. How do you become a drag race car driver?

Becoming a drag race car driver typically involves a combination of natural talent, training, and experience. Many drivers start by participating in local races and working their way up through the ranks. It also requires a strong understanding of the mechanics and dynamics of a race car and the ability to make quick and precise decisions while driving at high speeds.