1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 cars drag racing question

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    2 cars drag racing question....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The first car has a constant velocity of 40 m/s and moves 10 m before the 2nd car starts moving. The second car speeds up with an acceleration of 3.6 m/s^2. What is the time and the displacesment before the 2 cars actually meet?

2. Relevant equations
    V=d/t
    d=V1t x (1/2) a t^2.. i think?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figured out the time it took for the first car to travel 40 m... which would be equal to initial t for the second car. Since I want to find when the two cars have an equal displacement i set their displacements equal and it didn't really work out cause i ended up with a negative time for some reason?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: 2 cars drag racing question....

Hi i_heart_you, welcome to PF.

Start by writing two kinematics equations, one for each car, giving the displacement as a function of time. The first one you posted is inapplicable here because it works for constant velocity only and the second one is incorrect. Don't guess, look 'em up.

4. Oct 2, 2009 #3
    Re: 2 cars drag racing question....

thanks for your help... i finally figured it out
    i just had to split up the displacements into initial and final and make the final displacements equal to each other....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook