2-D motion: projectile motion of football

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a football being thrown at an angle and the receiver needing to run at a constant speed to catch it. The solution involves finding the total time the ball is in the air, breaking down its velocity into components, and calculating the distance the receiver needs to cover in that time.
Maiia
Hi, I have been having a lot of trouble with this problem. I have been trying to figure it out for hours with limited success... Any help would be very much appreciated!

Homework Statement

A football is thrown toward a receiver with an initial speed of 16.9m/s at an angle of 38.6 degrees above the horizontal. At that instant, the receiver is 17.4m from the quarterback. The acceleration of gravity is 8.81m/s2. With what constant speed should the receiver run to catch the football at the level at which it was thrown? Answer in units of m/s.

Homework Equations

V0cosθ= Vy
V0sinθ= Vx
1. Range= (V0^2 sin2 θ)
------------
g
2. displacement X= Vxt
3. delta X= V0t + 1/2 at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a picture, and because the problem says it is caught on the same level, I assumed I could use the range formula. So I did that and found the total Range (delta X). Then, I plugged that into the 2nd equation to find the total time the football is in the air.
I took the answer I got from the Range formula (delta X) and subtracted 17.4m from it because that is how far the receiver will have to run. Then, I used the 2nd equation again to find how long it took the football to travel 17.4 meters. I took that time and subtracted it from the total time to find out how much time the receiver would have to run and catch the football. Then, I used the Delta X/ that time to get the Vx. Are my steps right? Because when I tried to submit the answer online, it said my answer was incorrect...
When I did all these steps, I got an answer of 13.20769597 m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, this receiver should try out for the NFL. =)

You are right in applying the range formula. You want to know the "total time" that the ball is in the air (this is your mistake). This is how much time the receiver has to move to catch the ball.

oh i see my mistake. Thanks a lot!

this is ticky as far as component problems go...
I know nothin about a range formula, I'll assume its a variation of the basics...

1) okay first you break down the ball's velocity into components.

that means Vx = Vcos(38.6) and Vy = Vsin(38.6)

2) next we want to know how long this ball is in the air. The time the ball takes going up is equal to the time it take for the ball to come down! So find the time it takes to go up and double it... (and A = -9.81 m/s^2)

V final = V initial + A(t)

2t = total air time.

3) Find the distance the ball will travel horrizonally.

X = V (x component) times t

4) Find out how far away the ball will land from the reciever

ball distance - where the reciever starts = distance receiver must cover

5) at step 2 you found how long the ball will be in the air. the reciever must cover the distance in part 4, in the time the ball takes to reach that spot from step 2. so

V = X/T, V reciever = step 4 distance/step 2 time

take the time to picture what's going on in each step.

thanks, that's a very detailed explanation :)

Related to 2-D motion: projectile motion of football

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, where the only force acting on the object is gravity. This type of motion is characterized by a curved path, with the object moving both horizontally and vertically.

2. How does a football exhibit projectile motion?

A football is kicked or thrown with an initial velocity, and then follows a parabolic path due to the force of gravity. As it moves through the air, the football experiences both horizontal and vertical components of motion, resulting in projectile motion.

3. What factors affect the projectile motion of a football?

The factors that affect the projectile motion of a football include the initial velocity of the kick or throw, the angle at which it is kicked or thrown, the air resistance, and the force of gravity.

4. Can you calculate the maximum height and range of a football in projectile motion?

Yes, the maximum height and range of a football in projectile motion can be calculated using the equations for projectile motion, as well as the initial velocity and angle of the kick or throw. These calculations can also take into account air resistance and the force of gravity.

5. How is projectile motion of a football used in sports?

The understanding of projectile motion of a football is important in sports such as football, soccer, and rugby, where players need to be able to accurately kick or throw the ball to a specific location. Knowledge of projectile motion can also help coaches and players strategize and improve their performance on the field.