2-D Relative Velocity Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving two planes flying between two airports on the same meridian with a 60 km/h wind from the south 30' east of north. The problem involves determining the airspeeds and headings of the two planes based on their arrival times. The solution involves drawing vector diagrams and using the equations \vec{v}_{Qg} = \vec{v}_{Qw} + \vec{v}_{wg} and \vec{v}_{Pg} = \vec{v}_{Pw} + \vec{v}_{wg}. However, the solution provided in the book has a discrepancy and the correct answer is 261.7 km/h with a heading of 6.58^\
NoPhysicsGenius
I am having difficulty with Problem 49 of Chapter 3 from Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Paul A. Tipler, 4th Edition:

Airports A and B are on the same meridian, with B 624 km south of A. Plane P departs airport A for B at the same time that an identical plane, Q, departs airport B for A. A steady 60 km/h wind is blowing from the south 30' east of north. Plane Q arrives at airport A 1 h before plane P arrives at airport B. Determine the airspeeds of the two planes (assuming that they are the same) and the heading of each plane.

In drawing the vector diagram for plane Q, we use the following equation:

[tex]\vec{v}_{Qg} = \vec{v}_{Qw} + \vec{v}_{wg}[/tex]

where [itex]\vec{v}_{Qg}[/itex] is the velocity of Plane Q relative to the ground, [itex]\vec{v}_{Qw}[/itex] is the velocity of Plane Q relative to the wind, and [itex]\vec{v}_{wg}[/itex] is the velocity of the wind relative to the ground.

Since I am unable to include a picture of the vector diagram, I will instead describe it as follows (and you might wish to draw it on a sheet of scratch paper for future reference):

[itex]\vec{v}_{Qg}[/itex] points from due south to due north;
[itex]\vec{v}_{wg}[/itex] points from the tail of [itex]\vec{v}_{Qg}[/itex] toward the northeast;
[itex]\theta[/itex] is used to denote the angle between [itex]\vec{v}_{Qg}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}_{wg}[/itex], which is 30' east of north;
[itex]\vec{v}_{Qw}[/itex] points from the head of [itex]\vec{v}_{wg}[/itex] to the head of [itex]\vec{v}_{Qg}[/itex], in a direction west of north;
[itex]\theta_Q[/itex] is used to denote the angle of the heading of Plane Q. It is located between [itex]\vec{v}_{Qw}[/itex] and a line drawn from the tail of [itex]\vec{v}_{Qw}[/itex] parallel to [itex]\vec{v}_{Qg}[/itex]. Note that, by interior angles, [itex]\theta_Q[/itex] is also the angle between [itex]\vec{v}_{Qg}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}_{Qw}[/itex].

In drawing the vector diagram for plane P, we use the following equation:

[tex]\vec{v}_{Pg} = \vec{v}_{Pw} + \vec{v}_{wg}[/tex]

where [itex]\vec{v}_{Pg}[/itex] is the velocity of Plane P relative to the ground, [itex]\vec{v}_{Pw}[/itex] is the velocity of Plane P relative to the wind, and [itex]\vec{v}_{wg}[/itex] is once again the velocity of the wind relative to the ground.

A description of the vector diagram for Plane P is as follows:

[itex]\vec{v}_{Pg}[/itex] points from due north to due south;
[itex]\vec{v}_{wg}[/itex] points from the tail of [itex]\vec{v}_{Pg}[/itex] toward the northeast;
[itex]\theta[/itex] is used to denote the angle between [itex]\vec{v}_{wg}[/itex] and a line drawn parallel to [itex]\vec{v}_{Pg}[/itex], which is 30' east of north;
[itex]\vec{v}_{Pw}[/itex] points from the head of [itex]\vec{v}_{wg}[/itex] to the head of [itex]\vec{v}_{Pg}[/itex], in a direction west of south;
[itex]\theta_P[/itex] is used to denote the angle of the heading of Plane P. It is located between [itex]\vec{v}_{Pw}[/itex] and a line drawn from the tail of [itex]\vec{v}_{Pw}[/itex] parallel to [itex]\vec{v}_{Pg}[/itex]. Note that, by interior angles, [itex]\theta_P[/itex] is also the angle between [itex]\vec{v}_{Pg}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}_{Pw}[/itex].

We note the following:

[tex]v_{wg} = 60 km/h[/tex]
[tex]\theta = 30'(\frac{1^\circ}{60'}) = 0.5^\circ[/tex]
[tex]v_{Qw} = v_{Pw}[/tex]
[itex]t_Q = t_P - 1 h[/itex], where [itex]t_Q[/itex] is the time of arrival of Plane Q and [itex]t_P[/itex] is the time of arrival of Plane P.

[itex]\vec{v}_{wg}[/itex] is computed as follows:

[tex]v_{wg,y} = v_{wg} \cos \theta = (60 km/h) \cos 0.5^\circ = 60 km/h[/tex]
[tex]v_{wg,x} = v_{wg} \sin \theta = (60 km/h) \sin 0.5^\circ = 0.524 km/h[/tex]
Therefore, [itex]\vec{v}_{wg} = v_{wg,x} \widehat{i} + v_{wg,y} \widehat{j} = (0.524 \widehat{i} + 60 \widehat {j}) km/h[/itex].

So far, so good.

Here's where things start to get potentially troublesome ...

From the vector diagram for Plane P, we have:

[tex]v_{Pw,x} = -v_{wg,x} = -0.524 km/h[/tex]

From the vector diagram for Plane Q, we have:

[tex]v_{Qw,x} = -v_{wg,x} = -0.524 km/h[/tex]

Now ...

[tex]\sin \theta_Q = \frac{opposite}{hypotenuse} = \frac{|v_{wg,x}|}{v_{Qw}}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow v_{Qw} = \frac{|v_{wg,x}|}{\sin \theta_Q} = \frac{0.524 km/h}{\sin \theta_Q}[/tex]

Also ...

[tex]\sin \theta_P = \frac{opposite}{hypotenuse} = \frac{|v_{wg,x}|}{v_{Pw}}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow v_{Pw} = \frac{|v_{wg,x}|}{\sin \theta_P} = \frac{0.524 km/h}{\sin \theta_P}[/tex]

The condition [itex]v_{Pw} = v_{Qw}[/itex] implies:

[tex]\frac{0.524 km/h}{\sin \theta_P} = \frac{0.524 km/h}{\sin \theta_Q}[/tex]
[itex]\Rightarrow \theta_P = \theta_Q[/itex] (for our purposes, at least--though the angles can actually differ by certain fractional multiples of [itex]\pi[/itex], though I forgot the exact formula ...)

With [itex]\vec{r}_{Qg}[/itex] denoting the position vector of Plane Q relative to the ground and [itex]\vec{r}_{Pg}[/itex] denoting the position vector of Plane P relative to the ground, we have the following conditions:

[tex]r_{Qg,y} = v_{Qg,y}t_Q = 624 km[/tex]
[tex]r_{Pg,y} = v_{Pg,y}t_P = -624 km[/tex]

The condition [itex]r_{Pg,y} = -r_{Qg,y}[/itex] yields:

[tex]v_{Pg,y}t_P = -v_{Qg,y}t_Q[/tex]

The relation [itex]t_Q = t_P - 1[/itex] then yields:

[tex]v_{Pg,y}t_P = -v_{Qg,y}(t_P - 1)[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow (v_{Pg,y} + v_{Qg,y})t_P = v_{Qg,y}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow t_P = \frac{v_{Qg,y}}{v_{Pg,y} + v_{Qg,y}}[/tex]

From the vector diagram for Plane Q ...

[tex]v_{Qg,y} = v_{Qw,y} + v_{wg,y} = v_{Qw,y} + 60[/tex]

Now ...

[tex]\cos \theta_Q = cos \theta_P = \frac{adjacent}{hypotenuse} = \frac{|v_{Qw,y}|}{v_{Qw}}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow |v_{Qw,y}| = v_{Qw} \cos \theta_Q = v_{Pw} \cos \theta_P[/tex]

Therefore ...

[tex]v_{Qg,y} = v_{Pw} \cos \theta_P + 60[/tex]

Now ...

[tex]v_{Pg,y} = v_{wg,y} + v_{Pw,y}[/tex]

Since [itex]v_{Pw,y} = -v_{Qw,y}[/itex], we then have:

[tex]v_{Pg,y} = v_{wg,y} - v_{Qw,y} = 60 - v_{Pw} \cos \theta_P[/tex]

Therefore ...

[tex]t_P = \frac{v_{Qg,y}}{v_{Pg,y} + v_{Qg,y}} = \frac{v_{Pw} \cos \theta_P + 60}{(60 - v_{Pw} \cos \theta_P) + (v_{Pw} \cos \theta_P + 60)}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow t_P = \frac{v_{Pw} \cos \theta_P + 60}{120}[/tex]

Then [itex]v_{Pw} = \frac{0.524}{\sin \theta_P}[/itex] implies:

[tex]t_P = \frac{0.524 \cot \theta_P + 60}{120}[/tex]

I haven't the slightest clue where to go from here.

The answer in the back of the book is as follows:

[itex]261.7 km/h[/itex], [itex]6.58^\circ[/itex] west of north

There is at least one problem with this answer ... Obviously, although the two planes might well have the same angle of heading (as I have shown above), it is obvious from the vector diagrams that the heading of Plane Q would be [itex]6.58^\circ[/itex] west of north, whereas the heading of Plane P would be [itex]6.58^\circ[/itex] west of south.

Also, I should note the following:

[itex]v_{Pw} = \frac{0.524 km/h}{\sin \theta_P} = \frac{0.524 km/h}{\sin 6.58^\circ} = 4.57 km/h \ll[/itex] the correct answer of [itex]261.7 km/h[/itex].

Additionally, note the following discrepancy:

[tex]t_P = \frac{v_{Pw} \cos \theta_P + 60}{120} = \frac{261.7 \cos 6.58^\circ + 60}{120} = 2.67 h \neq \frac{0.524 \cot \theta_P + 60}{120} = \frac{0.524 \cot 6.58^\circ + 60}{120} = 0.538 h[/tex]

Indeed, if the value on the right (namely, [itex]0.538 h[/itex]) were correct, then [itex]t_Q = t_P - 1 h = 0.538 h - 1 h = -0.462 h[/itex]!

Clearly, I have done a great deal wrong here. Can someone please spot the flaw(s) in my reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
try to use 30 degrees instead of 30 minutes because If I used the the data of your book's solution, see what happends (V_p)sin6.58= 261.7sin6.58=29.988...=60sintheta
=> sin(theta)=29.9988.../60=.4998..~.5 =>theta~30degrees.
By the way the solution that I had is V={[(2dv'cos30)/1h]+(v')^2}^(1/2).
where (d) is the distance between the airports and (v') the wind's speed.

I tried it before looking at the solution, and this is what I got.

I started with:

Plane P - [tex]v_p = v_1 - 52[/tex] Against the wind.
Plane Q - [tex]v_q = V_1 + 52[/tex] With the wind.

Note: It says that the velocities are the same.

I went on and calculated the vertical velocity of the wind.

Assuming this is what it meant.

l---/
l--/
lx/
l/ -> x=30 degrees

So, naturally using trig, we get [tex]cos30^o*60=51.9[/tex]. I rounded to 52.

We know that the [tex]v=d/t[/tex].

So, we get for plane P [tex]v_1 - 52 = \frac{624}{t_1 + 1}[/tex].

With a little work we get [tex]v_1 - 52t_1 + v_1 t_1 = 676[/tex]. Remember it took P an extra hour to reach its destination, so t + 1.

For plane Q, [tex]v_1 +52 = \frac{624}{t_1}[/tex].
[tex]t_1 = \frac{624}{v_1+52}[/tex], and we isolate t, so we can put it in the equation of P. We get:
[tex]v^2_1 - 52v_1 - 67548 = 0[/tex]

Use the quadratic formula, and we shall get:

[tex]v_1 = -235.2 or 287.2[/tex]

Using trigonometry or the pythagorean theorem to balance it back against the wind.

I got 285.2km/h, not bothering with the 235, which is 233km/h.

T_1 should be the same for both equations.

They are about .2 hours off, so it's possible that 51.9 could have fixed some of it.

I hope I got it.

Last edited:
wisky40 said:
try to use 30 degrees instead of 30 minutes because If I used the the data of your book's solution, see what happends (V_p)sin6.58= 261.7sin6.58=29.988...=60sintheta
=> sin(theta)=29.9988.../60=.4998..~.5 =>theta~30degrees.

I agree ... This is a typo in the book that I had missed. Thanks.

JasonRox said:
I hope I got it.

Your solution method is correct ... and that is what counts.

JasonRox said:
So, we get for plane P [tex]v_1 - 52 = \frac{624}{t_1 + 1}[/tex].

With a little work we get [tex]v_1 - 52t_1 + v_1 t_1 = 676[/tex]. Remember it took P an extra hour to reach its destination, so [we use] t1 + 1.

For plane Q, [tex]v_1 +52 = \frac{624}{t_1}[/tex].
[tex]t_1 = \frac{624}{v_1+52}[/tex], and we isolate t1, so we can put it in the equation of P. We get:
[tex]v^2_1 - 52v_1 - 67548 = 0[/tex]

It is here that things went wrong for you. Let me perform the substitution in detail ...

[tex]v_1 - 52 = \frac{624}{\frac{624}{v_1+52} + 1}[/tex]

Multiply the expression on the RHS by [itex]\frac{v_1 + 52}{v_1 + 52}[/itex] to get:

[tex]v_1 - 52 = \frac{(624)(v_1 + 52)}{(624) + (v_1 + 52)} = \frac{624 v_1 + (52)(624)}{v_1 + 676} = \frac{624 v_1 + 32448}{v_1 + 676}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow (v_1 - 52)(v_1 + 676) = 624 v_1 + 32448[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow {v_1}^2 - 52 v_1 + 676 v_1 - (52)(676) = 624 v_1 + 32448[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow {v_1}^2 + 624 v_1 - 35152 = 624 v_1 + 32448[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow {v_1}^2 = 32448 + 35152 = 67600[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow v_1 = 260 km/h[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow v_Q = v_1 + 52 = 260 + 52 = 312 km/h[/tex]

Now [itex]v_Q[/itex] corresponds to [itex]v_{Qg}[/itex] using the notation from my original post.

Applying the Pythagorean Theorem then gives:

[tex]{v_{Qw}}^2 = {v_{Qg}}^2 + {v_{wg}}^2 - 2v_{Qg}v_{wg}\cos \theta[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow {v_{Qw}}^2 = (312 km/h)^2 + (60 km/h)^2 - 2(312 km/h)(60 km/h)\cos 30^\circ = 68520 \frac{km^2}{h^2}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow v_{Qw} = 261.8 km/h[/tex]

This compares very favorably to the book's answer of [itex]261.7 km/h[/itex].

To compute the angle of each plane's heading, we do the following:

[tex]v_{Qw} = \frac{|v_{wg,x}|}{\sin \theta_Q} = \frac{v_{wg} \sin \theta}{\sin \theta_Q} = \frac{(60 km/h) \sin 30^\circ}{\sin \theta_Q} = \frac{30 km/h}{\sin \theta_Q}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \sin \theta_Q = \frac{30 km/h}{v_{Qw}}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \theta_Q = \sin^{-1} \frac{30 km/h}{261.8 km/h} = 6.58^\circ[/tex]

This agrees precisely with the book's answer.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
It happens.

You pointed out something else I should have done, too. Answers wouldn't change, but simply a different method that can be useful one day.

Thanks.

1. What is a 2-D relative velocity problem?

A 2-D relative velocity problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the velocity of an object in two dimensions, taking into account the motion of another object in relation to it. This type of problem is commonly encountered in fields such as mechanics and aerodynamics.

2. How do you solve a 2-D relative velocity problem?

To solve a 2-D relative velocity problem, you need to first identify the two objects involved and their respective velocities in each dimension. Then, you can use vector addition and subtraction to find the relative velocity vector between the two objects. Finally, you can use trigonometry to calculate the magnitude and direction of the relative velocity.

3. What are some common applications of 2-D relative velocity problems?

2-D relative velocity problems are commonly encountered in real-world scenarios such as air traffic control, satellite orbiting, and projectile motion. They are also used in the design and analysis of vehicles, aircraft, and other moving objects.

4. What are some challenges when solving 2-D relative velocity problems?

One of the main challenges in solving 2-D relative velocity problems is understanding and visualizing the motion of the objects in two dimensions. Another challenge is keeping track of the different velocity components and applying the correct equations and formulas. It is also important to correctly account for any external forces acting on the objects.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving 2-D relative velocity problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving 2-D relative velocity problems is through practice. Start with simple problems and gradually increase the complexity. It is also helpful to understand the underlying principles and concepts, such as vector addition and trigonometry. Seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.