Solve Kinetic Questions - 2 Examples

• Thread starter Peach
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinetic
In summary, a man can generate about 70 J of work with just his muscles when doing a chin-up. This would constitute around 17.86 kg of work.
Peach

Homework Statement

While doing a chin-up, a man lifts his body 0.40 m. The muscles involved in doing a chin-up can generate about 70 J of work per kilogram of muscle mass. If the man can just barely do a 0.40-m chin-up, what percentage of his body's mass do these muscles constitute? (For comparison, the total percentage of muscle in a typical 70-kg man with 14% body fat is about 43%.)

Homework Equations

W = F * s

The Attempt at a Solution

m = w/(g*s)
m = 70J/(9.8m/s^2 * .40m
m = 17.86 kg

Then I take this and divided by total mass 70kg to get the percentage but I got the wrong answer. I don't know why...what am I doing wrong here?

Homework Statement

Rotating Bar. A thin, uniform 12.0-kg bar that is 2.00 m long rotates uniformly about a pivot at one end, making 5.00 complete revolutions every 3.00 seconds. What is the kinetic energy of this bar?

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2m (vf^2 - vo^2)

I didn't know how to get this started but I gave it a shot. First, I took the 5 revolution per 3 seconds and converted them to velocity.

5rev/3s (2*pie*r/rev) = 20.9 m/s

Then I take that answer and plug it into the kinetic equation but as expected, I was wrong. This kinetic stuff is really confusing or is it just me? :confused: Pls help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peach said:

Homework Statement

Rotating Bar. A thin, uniform 12.0-kg bar that is 2.00 m long rotates uniformly about a pivot at one end, making 5.00 complete revolutions every 3.00 seconds.

What is the problem question here?

Oops. :redface: I totally forgot.

Question: What is the kinetic energy of this bar?

Peach said:

Homework Statement

While doing a chin-up, a man lifts his body 0.40 m. The muscles involved in doing a chin-up can generate about 70 J of work per kilogram of muscle mass. If the man can just barely do a 0.40-m chin-up, what percentage of his body's mass do these muscles constitute? (For comparison, the total percentage of muscle in a typical 70-kg man with 14% body fat is about 43%.)

Homework Equations

W = F * s

m = w/(g*s)
m = 70J/(9.8m/s^2 * .40m
m = 17.86 kg

Check your math. Your equation seems right, but I get a different answer when I plug in the values.

Peach said:
Oops. :redface: I totally forgot.

Question: What is the kinetic energy of this bar?

Excellent. Now, how can you calculate the angular velocity of the bar from the given information? The units should be [rad/s].

Further on, what is the definition of rotational kinetic energy?

Peach said:

Homework Statement

Rotating Bar. A thin, uniform 12.0-kg bar that is 2.00 m long rotates uniformly about a pivot at one end, making 5.00 complete revolutions every 3.00 seconds. What is the kinetic energy of this bar?

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2m (vf^2 - vo^2)

I didn't know how to get this started but I gave it a shot. First, I took the 5 revolution per 3 seconds and converted them to velocity.

5rev/3s (2*pie*r/rev) = 20.9 m/s

Then I take that answer and plug it into the kinetic equation but as expected, I was wrong. This kinetic stuff is really confusing or is it just me? :confused: Pls help?

First of all, your radius of the bar is 1m. Don't get confused.

Second of all, look into Rotational Kinetic Energy. You're using the linear kinetic energy equation

Last edited by a moderator:
1) I checked my math already and I still get 17.86kg. It should be 70/3.92 right? Are you sure I'm not missing anything?

2) I haven't learned about rotational kinetic energy yet. That's on chapter 9, I'm only on chapter 6.

Edit: Is the angular speed (5rev/3s)(2pie/rev) = (10pie*rad/3s)?

Last edited:
Can someone pls pls pls help me with the first problem? I can't figure it out at all, I don't know where I went wrong. I've been punching numbers for the last hour and I still can't seem to get the right answer and this, I know, is a really easy problem and yet I'm going crazy over it. Sigh.

1. Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations
W = F * s

3. The Attempt at a Solution
m = w/(g*s)
m = 70J/(9.8m/s^2 * .40m
m = 17.86 kg

First problem

Peach said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

W = F * s

m = w/(g*s)
m = 70J/(9.8m/s^2 * .40m
m = 17.86 kg

Then I take this and divided by total mass 70kg to get the percentage but I got the wrong answer. I don't know why...what am I doing wrong here?
Not quite sure what you are doing here. Try this. Call the man's total mass M and his muscle mass m. Figure out: The amount of work required to do one chin up; the amount of work his muscle mass can generate. Set them equal and solve for m/M.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

How do you calculate kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

What is the difference between kinetic energy and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state.

What are some real-life examples of kinetic energy?

Some examples of kinetic energy include a car moving down the road, a person running, and a ball rolling down a hill.

How can kinetic energy be changed or transferred?

Kinetic energy can be changed or transferred through work, friction, and collisions with other objects.