2 questions (weightlessness and SHM)

• Thread starter KatieKangaroo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm
You'll see that the displacement is expressed in terms of the amplitude, so your expression is correct. You just need to include the angular velocity "w" in the expression.In summary, the acceleration of free fall of a satellite has a finite value, allowing for an object at this position to have weight. However, for astronauts inside the satellite, the perception of weight is cancelled out due to the continuous falling of the satellite. Weightlessness is not the absence of all gravitational forces, but rather the absence of apparent weight. As for the second question, an expression for the displacement of a particle at half its maximum velocity in terms of amplitude (Xo) can be expressed as wXo/2, taking into account the
KatieKangaroo
the acceleration of free fall of a satellite has a finite value so that an object at this position certainly has weight. making reference to the perception of weight by an observer, explain how astronauts inside this satellite arppear to be weightless. i thought weightlessness was when the gravitational force on a body from two masses 'canceled out' so there was no overall force acting of the body, but don't think this is true in this situation. can anyone explain this to me?

also, find an expression in terms of Xo (amplitude) for the displacement of a particle when its velocity is half its maximum velocity.
i have wXo/2 (w is angular velocity), however i don't know if 'w' should be in the expression if it says in terms of 'Xo'. can anyone suggest another expression?

thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
As for your weightless astronauts, that is fairly basic. The sattelite (or space station, or whatever) is falling continuously. The astronauts are falling at an equal rate, so that cancels all gravitational forces out. Sort of.

KatieKangaroo said:
the acceleration of free fall of a satellite has a finite value so that an object at this position certainly has weight. making reference to the perception of weight by an observer, explain how astronauts inside this satellite arppear to be weightless. i thought weightlessness was when the gravitational force on a body from two masses 'canceled out' so there was no overall force acting of the body, but don't think this is true in this situation. can anyone explain this to me?
The term "weightlessness" can be confusing. You need to distinguish real weight (the gravitational attraction) from apparent weight. The apparent weight of a supported body is the force that the body exerts on its support. "Weightlessness" means that the apparent weight is zero, not the real weight. (So your thought that weightlessness means that the net gravitational force is zero is not correct.)

This makes sense when you think about what causes us to feel that we have weight. We can't sense gravity directly; instead we feel the forces exerted on us by whatever is supported us: the floor, the chair, etc. The reason why astronauts in orbit feel weightless is that the satellite and the astronauts are both falling together--the satellite doesn't have to support the astronaut, since both are falling about the earth. Another easy way to feel weightless (at least briefly) is to jump out the window! Take away the supporting floor and your apparent weight goes to zero. (Obviously your real weight--the gravitational pull of the earth--hasn't gone to zero!)

also, find an expression in terms of Xo (amplitude) for the displacement of a particle when its velocity is half its maximum velocity.
i have wXo/2 (w is angular velocity), however i don't know if 'w' should be in the expression if it says in terms of 'Xo'. can anyone suggest another expression?
Write the expressions for displacement and velocity and compare them. (Hint: The expressions will have some trig function.)

They could also appear to be weightless if the are orbiting around the earth. This would happen when the centripital force equaled the gravitational force.

thank you, so is it that the satellite is exerting no reaction force on the astronaut as they are both falling at the same rate about earth?

and for my 2nd question, there are no equations in my notes on SHM involving trigonometric quantities :frown: I am pretty sure my teacher would have told us if we needed to know them.
the only equations we have are the ones for velocity and acceleration, none for displacement. so is my expression the only one i can get?

KatieKangaroo said:
thank you, so is it that the satellite is exerting no reaction force on the astronaut as they are both falling at the same rate about earth?
Right. They exert no contact force on each other.

Just like in a elevator if the cable breaks--both you and the elevator would fall together, so you would exert no force on the floor of the elevator (and vice versa) and thus you would be "weightless".

and for my 2nd question, there are no equations in my notes on SHM involving trigonometric quantities :frown: I am pretty sure my teacher would have told us if we needed to know them.
I don't see how you can solve this problem without such equations. Here they are: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/shm.html#c2

1. What is weightlessness and how does it occur?

Weightlessness, also known as zero gravity or microgravity, is the condition where an object experiences little to no gravitational force. This occurs when an object is in a state of free fall, such as in orbit around a planet or in a spacecraft. The feeling of weightlessness is often described as floating because there is no sensation of weight or resistance against the body.

2. What is the relationship between weightlessness and the concept of SHM?

SHM, or simple harmonic motion, is a type of periodic motion where an object moves back and forth between two points with a constant frequency and amplitude. In the absence of external forces, an object in SHM will continue to oscillate indefinitely. Weightlessness can affect the motion of an object in SHM as there is no gravitational force to act as a restoring force, thus altering the frequency and amplitude of the motion.

3. How does weightlessness affect the human body?

Extended periods of weightlessness can have significant effects on the human body. These include loss of muscle mass and bone density, changes in blood circulation, and decreased cardiovascular function. Astronauts must engage in regular exercise and adhere to a strict diet to mitigate the negative effects of weightlessness on their bodies.

4. Can weightlessness be simulated on Earth?

Yes, weightlessness can be simulated on Earth through various methods such as parabolic flight, where an aircraft follows a specific trajectory to create brief periods of weightlessness, or by using a drop tower, which allows objects to fall freely for a short period of time. These simulations can be useful for research and training purposes.

5. How does the study of weightlessness and SHM benefit society?

The study of weightlessness and SHM has led to numerous advancements in the fields of physics, engineering, and technology. Understanding and controlling weightlessness has allowed for the development of space travel and exploration, while the principles of SHM have been applied to numerous technologies, such as pendulum clocks and shock absorbers. Additionally, research in these areas can contribute to advancements in healthcare and improving the quality of life for those living in microgravity environments.