Relative Velocity: Jack & Particle - v to V

In summary: Ok, so from each of these co-moving frames, with what velocity will the particle measure me to be traveling circularly around it?You already answered that. At each instant, in a momentarily co-moving inertial frame, the particle will see you move with a velocity opposite from that of the co-moving inertial frame. So if we keep moving along with the particle, you will just be moving in a circle with the same speed from the particle's perspective.That's correct.
Izzhov
First, a really basic one: if Jack is jogging past me with a constant speed, and I observe that speed to be v in my frame, with what speed will Jack observe me to be moving, as measured from his own frame? If the answer is not v, which Lorentz transformation do I use to derive it?

Second, a slightly more advanced one: say I'm in a lab and I measure a particle to be moving in a circle, in which I am in the direct center, with constant speed v. In the rest frame of the particle, what speed would it measure me to be moving around it? If this answer differs from the first question, whence the difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
Izzhov said:
First, a really basic one: if Jack is jogging past me with a constant speed, and I observe that speed to be v in my frame, with what speed will Jack observe me to be moving, as measured from his own frame? If the answer is not v, which Lorentz transformation do I use to derive it?
It's v.

Second, a slightly more advanced one: say I'm in a lab and I measure a particle to be moving in a circle, in which I am in the direct center, with constant speed v. In the rest frame of the particle, what speed would it measure me to be moving around it? If this answer differs from the first question, whence the difference?
Same answer.

Nugatory said:
Izzhov said:
Same answer.
Actually, I wouldn't give the same answer. The problem is that the question is not complete. There is no standard meaning to "the rest frame of the particle" when the particle is non-inertial. You would have to define that frame before you could answer the question.

DaleSpam said:
Actually, I wouldn't give the same answer. The problem is that the question is not complete. There is no standard meaning to "the rest frame of the particle" when the particle is non-inertial. You would have to define that frame before you could answer the question.

In this context, I would define it as a frame whose origin coincides with the particle at all times and whose axes are parallel to the lab frame's axes. Thus the particle would measure me moving circularly around it.

There is no single "rest frame" for a particle moving in circular motion about a central observer. What you can do is, at each point on the particle's trajectory, attach an inertial frame to the particle whose velocity coincides with that of the particle, at that point. Such a frame is called a momentarily co-moving reference frame. For circular motion, the momentarily co-moving reference frames will necessarily be different at each point on the particle's trajectory.

Izzhov said:
In this context, I would define it as a frame whose origin coincides with the particle at all times and whose axes are parallel to the lab frame's axes. Thus the particle would measure me moving circularly around it.
The only real way to specify this is to write down the transform from the inertial frame. Otherwise a specification like the one you mentioned leaves the length scale, time scale, and simultaneity convention ambiguous.

WannabeNewton said:
There is no single "rest frame" for a particle moving in circular motion about a central observer. What you can do is, at each point on the particle's trajectory, attach an inertial frame to the particle whose velocity coincides with that of the particle, at that point. Such a frame is called a momentarily co-moving reference frame. For circular motion, the momentarily co-moving reference frames will necessarily be different at each point on the particle's trajectory.

Ok, so from each of these co-moving frames, with what velocity will the particle measure me to be traveling circularly around it?

You already answered that. At each instant, in a momentarily co-moving inertial frame, the particle will see you move with a velocity opposite from that of the co-moving inertial frame. So if we keep moving along with the particle, you will just be moving in a circle with the same speed from the particle's perspective.

What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the measurement of the velocity of one object in relation to another object. It takes into account both the speed and direction of the objects.

How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of another object. This calculation takes into account the direction of the objects and can result in a positive, negative, or zero value.

What is the difference between velocity and relative velocity?

Velocity refers to the speed and direction of an object in relation to a fixed point, while relative velocity refers to the speed and direction of an object in relation to another moving object.

How does relative velocity affect collisions?

Relative velocity plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of collisions between two objects. It helps to calculate the forces involved and determine the resulting velocities of the objects after the collision.

What are some real-world applications of relative velocity?

Relative velocity is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as aerospace, navigation, and robotics. It is also important in understanding the motion of celestial bodies and predicting their movements.