Calculating Inertia and Kinetic Energy of Connected Shafts

In summary, the conversation discusses the operation of two shafts rotating in opposite directions and their connection through a clutch system. The moment of inertia for each shaft is calculated and the final speed and direction of rotation for the connected shafts are determined. The angular torque developed by the connected shafts and the kinetic energy of the connected shafts at an increased speed are also discussed. The final speed is a combination of the two shafts' speeds and the question of which shaft's speed changes is clarified.
username0194

Homework Statement

b) During the operation of a machine, two shafts rotate in opposite directions and are then connected by a clutch system. Shaft 1 has a rotational speed of 800 rev/min, a mass of 35 kg and a radius of gyration of 375 mm. Shaft 2 has a rotational speed of 1100 rev/min, a mass of 45 kg and a radius of gyration of 520 mm. Determine:

i) the moment of inertia for each shaft;
ii) the final speed and direction of rotation for the connected shafts;
iii) the angular torque developed by the connected shafts if the rotational speed increases to 900 rev/min in a time of 3.2 s.
iv) the kinetic energy of the connected shafts at the increased speed.

Homework Equations

I1=m1k1squared
w3= 2pieN/60

The Attempt at a Solution

i. calculate I(1)=m1k1squared answers were 4.62 kgm2 & 12.17 kgm2
ii anti clockwise 57.9 rad/s with N3 working out 552.9 rev/min

iii not sure what changes speed here is it full speed combined or just shaft 1 ? Think I know how to do the rest when this is solved

Physics news on Phys.org
username0194 said:
is it full speed combined or just shaft 1 ?=
It says 'connected', so I would take it as the two shafts combined.

Related to Calculating Inertia and Kinetic Energy of Connected Shafts

What is the formula for calculating inertia of connected shafts?

The formula for calculating inertia of connected shafts is I = Σm(r²), where I represents the total inertia, Σm represents the sum of the masses of all connected shafts, and r represents the distance from the center of each shaft to the axis of rotation.

How do you calculate the kinetic energy of connected shafts?

To calculate the kinetic energy of connected shafts, use the formula KE = ½Iω², where KE represents kinetic energy, I represents the total inertia, and ω represents the angular velocity of the shafts.

What units are used for inertia and kinetic energy calculations?

Inertia is typically measured in units of kilogram-meters squared (kg · m²), while kinetic energy is measured in joules (J).

What factors can affect the accuracy of inertia and kinetic energy calculations?

Factors that can affect the accuracy of these calculations include the precision of the measurements of mass and distance, as well as any external forces acting on the connected shafts.

How can inertia and kinetic energy calculations be applied in real-world situations?

Inertia and kinetic energy calculations are commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the behavior of rotating systems, such as engines and turbines. They can also be applied in sports and recreational activities, such as calculating the potential energy of a spinning top or a rotating gymnast.