2 Spheres of Charges and their Interaction

In summary: I don't think any integration is required if you already know (e.g., from Gauss' law) that a sphere with charge q uniformly spread on its surface produces an electric field outside the sphere that is identical to the field produced by a point charge q located at the center of the sphere. See if you can argue without any mathematics that the force F in each figure below has the same magnitude.Hopefully the meaning of F is clear in each diagram. For example, in the top diagram, F is the force on the right sphere produced by the left sphere. In the second diagram, F is the force on the right sphere if the left sphere is replaced by a point charge
Shreya
Homework Statement
Please refer the image.
Relevant Equations
Nil
I can understand what happens with the conductor... (induction effects).
But how can induction happen in insulators ? Is it due to the the induced dipole moment?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210803-053804_Drive.png
    Screenshot_20210803-053804_Drive.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 93
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Certainly one would expect an induced dipole moment. What answer does that lead to? Do you know which answer is considered correct?

Likes Shreya
haruspex said:
moment. What answer does that lead to? Do you know which answer is considered correct?
The Option d is given as the right one.

Shreya said:
The Option d is given as the right one.
And is that what you would conclude from an induced dipole moment?

haruspex said:
And is that what you would conclude from an induced dipole moment
That is actually the part that I don't get. Please Help.

Shreya said:
That is actually the part that I don't get. Please Help.
Even in an insulator the charges can shift a little. E.g. at the level of an individual atom the electron cloud can be displaced slightly relative to the nucleus.
The charge movements are in the same directions as in a conductor, just much more restricted in magnitude.
So, for the purpose of the question, you can treat all objects as conductors.

Can you see how the induced charges change the force between the spheres for the two cases (like charges and unlike charges), or is that the part you don't get?

Likes Shreya, Steve4Physics and Delta2
haruspex said:
Can you see how the induced charges change the force between the spheres for the two cases (like charges and unlike charges), or is that the part you don't get?
I think I get that.
In the case of like charges, say both positive (+ -)(+-) such charge configuration causes Fc>Fm
In the case of unlike charges, (+-)(+-) Fm>Fc

Shreya said:
I think I get that.
In the case of like charges, say both positive (+ -)(+-) such charge configuration causes Fc>Fm
In the case of unlike charges, (+-)(+-) Fm>Fc
Yes, but I can't see how those 'charge diagrams' illustrate it. I suspect the spacing got messed up by the website's formatting software. I presume you meant something like
Shreya said:
In the case of like charges, say both positive (+...)(...+) such charge configuration causes Fc>Fm
In the case of unlike charges, (...-)(+...) Fm>Fc

• Informative
Likes Shreya
haruspex said:
I suspect the spacing got messed up by the website's formatting software.
I think I messed it up.
Thanks a lot Haruspex for helping me out

I am puzzled about something we take for granted but somehow it doesn't seem so obvious to me:
Let's assume that the two spheres do not interact via electrostatic induction, so no redistribution of charges on their surface. So there is uniform distribution of charge on their surface.

Why do we take for granted that the coulomb force in this case would be as if the whole charge was concentrated at the center of the spheres? We have to do integration to see it or is there some other argument?

Likes JD_PM and Shreya
Delta2 said:
I am puzzled about something we take for granted but somehow it doesn't seem so obvious to me:
Let's assume that the two spheres do not interact via electrostatic induction, so no redistribution of charges on their surface. So there is uniform distribution of charge on their surface.

Why do we take for granted that the coulomb force in this case would be as if the whole charge was concentrated at the center of the spheres? We have to do integration to see it or is there some other argument?
I don't think any integration is required if you already know (e.g., from Gauss' law) that a sphere with charge q uniformly spread on its surface produces an electric field outside the sphere that is identical to the field produced by a point charge q located at the center of the sphere.

See if you can argue without any mathematics that the force F in each figure below has the same magnitude.

1628039997153.png

Hopefully the meaning of F is clear in each diagram. For example, in the top diagram, F is the force on the right sphere produced by the left sphere. In the second diagram, F is the force on the right sphere if the left sphere is replaced by a point charge at the center of the left sphere. Etc.

• Informative
  • Love
Likes JD_PM, Delta2 and Shreya
Delta2 said:
I think integration gives you the same result.
Using gauss law, by taking a spherical gaussian surface and computing the elctric field, will be much easier.
Another way to think is in terms of centre of charge (like centre of mass).
Every distribution of charges can be simplified to a point charge (position of the point charge will vary depending upon config). The sphere has a spherical symmetry (obviously!) So the uniformly distributed sphere can be considered to be a point charge located at the centre.
You may use symmetry arguments to state that the direction of the force will be along the line joining the centres of the sphere.

Likes Delta2
Ok, @TSny I can see it now, I don't have to do integration but I 've to use Newton's 3rd law (if I am not mistaken) to conclude that the force between 2nd and 3rd picture is the same.

Likes JD_PM, Shreya and TSny
Delta2 said:
Ok, @TSny I can see it now, I don't have to do integration but I 've to use Newton's 3rd law (if I am not mistaken) to conclude that the force between 2nd and 3rd picture is the same.
Yes. Newton's third law holds for two point charges at rest. The superposition principle then implies that the third law holds for two arbitrary, static distributions of charge.

Likes JD_PM, Shreya and Delta2

1. How do two spheres of charges interact with each other?

Two spheres of charges interact with each other through the electromagnetic force. This force is caused by the attraction or repulsion between the positive and negative charges on the spheres. The strength of the force is determined by the distance between the spheres and the amount of charge on each sphere.

2. What happens when two spheres of opposite charges are brought close together?

When two spheres of opposite charges are brought close together, they will attract each other. The positive charges on one sphere will be attracted to the negative charges on the other sphere, and vice versa. This attraction will cause the spheres to move towards each other until they reach a point of equilibrium.

3. Can the charges on two spheres cancel each other out?

Yes, the charges on two spheres can cancel each other out if they have equal but opposite charges. This is known as neutralization, where the positive and negative charges on the spheres will cancel each other out, resulting in a net charge of zero.

4. How does the distance between two spheres affect their interaction?

The distance between two spheres affects their interaction by influencing the strength of the electromagnetic force. As the distance between the spheres increases, the force between them decreases. This is because the electric field between the spheres weakens with distance, resulting in a weaker force of attraction or repulsion.

5. Can two spheres with the same charge interact with each other?

Yes, two spheres with the same charge can interact with each other. If the spheres have a positive charge, they will repel each other. If they have a negative charge, they will attract each other. The strength of the force between them will depend on the amount of charge on each sphere and the distance between them.