214 AP Calculus Exam velocity

In summary, when given a function for velocity, the total distance traveled can be found by taking the integral of the absolute value of the function over the time interval. If given an average velocity and time, the distance traveled can be found by multiplying the two values. On the other hand, if given a function for distance, the average velocity can be found by taking the derivative with respect to time, and if given a total distance and time, the average velocity can be found by dividing the two values.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{207 \quad DOY}$
A particle moves along the x-axis. The velocity of the particle at time t is $6t - t^2$.
What is the total distance traveled by the particle from time $t = 0$ to $t = 3$ ? $(A)\,3 \quad (B)\,6 \quad (C)\,9 \quad (D)\,18\quad (E) \, 27$

$\displaystyle\int_0^3 6t - t2 \: dt = 3t^2-\dfrac{1}{3}t^3\Bigg|_0^3=27-9=18\quad (D)$

ok think this is correct...

the reason I am posting these is bc I am preparing a list of about 30+ AP exam problems which will be sent via a cell phone about twice a week to HS students who will eventually take the AP calculus Exam.
if you have ever looked up solutions to these, they range from a quick one line to a major production.
I want the simplest and shortest as possible and still maintain integrity of the topic
Most AP problems do not require heavy calculation, many can done just by observation.

MHB has a been a great source to get to the main core of these problems and would be a help tremendously to those who will need to take the test.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Understand there is a difference between "total distance" and "displacement". In this particular problem, they are the same since $v(t) \ge 0$ over the time interval $0 \le t \le 3$.

Strictly speaking ...

displacement (change in position) is a vector quantity, \(\displaystyle \Delta x = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} v(t) \, dt\)

distance traveled is a scalar quantity, \(\displaystyle d = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} |v(t)| \, dt\)

Had the time interval been $0 \le t \le 8$, then the two values would not be the same since the object changes direction at $t=6$

\(\displaystyle \Delta x = \int_0^8 6t-t^2 \, dt = \dfrac{64}{3}\)

... the object ends up 64/3 units in the positive direction from its initial position.

\(\displaystyle d = \int_0^8 |6t-t^2| \, dt =\int_0^6 6t-t^2 \, dt - \int_6^8 6t-t^2 \, dt = \dfrac{152}{3}\)

... the object travels a total distance of 152/3 units, ending up at the relative position mentioned above.

I just wanted to make sure the point is made here. (What skeeter said is right on, but I want to re-inforce the point.)

\(\displaystyle \overline{s(t)} = \int_a^b \overline{v(t)} ~ dt\) ( I'm using \(\displaystyle \overline{v(t)}\) as a vector quantity. I don't like the LaTeX arrow.)

If you are looking for the distance traveled and v(t) is negative over a domain then you have to take the absolute value of it in the integration. That gives you the distance traveled. \(\displaystyle s(t) = \int_a^b | \overline{v(t)} | ~ dt\).

If you are looking for the displacement then you don't need to worry about whether the vector points in a negative direction. So \(\displaystyle \overline{s(t)} = \int_a^b \overline{v(t)} ~ dt\).

-Dan

well, I was wondering why the integral was showing up in some examples and just a division in others

If you are given a function, v(t), that tells the velocity of an object at each time, t, then $\int |v(t)|dt$ gives the total distance traveled. If instead you are given an average velocity,v, over time t, then vt gives the distance traveled.

Neither of those involves a division. That would be "going the other way"- if you are given a function, x(t), that tells the distance traveled at each time, t, then $\frac{dx}{dt}$ give the velocity at each time, t. If, instead, you are given a total distance traveled, d, in time t, then $\frac{d}{t}$ gives the average velocity.

1. What is the significance of the "214 AP Calculus Exam velocity"?

The "214 AP Calculus Exam velocity" refers to a specific question or problem related to velocity that may appear on the AP Calculus Exam. It is important for students to understand this concept and be able to apply it in order to do well on the exam.

2. How is velocity defined in calculus?

In calculus, velocity is defined as the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is typically represented by the derivative of the position function.

3. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. In calculus, instantaneous velocity is represented by the derivative of the position function at a specific point.

4. How can I use calculus to solve problems involving velocity?

In order to solve problems involving velocity, you can use the principles of calculus, such as derivatives and integrals, to analyze the rate of change of an object's position over time. This can help you determine the object's velocity at a specific point in time or calculate the total distance traveled.

5. What are some real-world applications of velocity in calculus?

Velocity is a fundamental concept in physics and has many real-world applications, such as calculating the speed of a moving object, predicting the trajectory of a projectile, and analyzing the motion of objects in fields like astronomy and engineering. In calculus, velocity is also used to understand and model the behavior of complex systems, such as fluid dynamics and population growth.