1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

22 years old. Need advice on what to do with my low GPA and transferring out of CC.

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    I'm majoring in electrical engineering right now. My GPA is currently at around a 3.0-3.15. I lacked motivation all throughout my entire academic career. It's only been recent that I have been trying harder. I applied to many UC's already, but I know there isn't really much hope there since many require a GPA of 3.2-3.5 minimum, and I already logged in so many units that I would have to get a ton of A's in 5 unit courses just to raise my GPA by a little bit. I have one failed math class that I could not get into this semester because of the long wait list. I have about 1-1.5 years left of undergrad for my major. I just need 2 math classes and 3 physics courses. Anyone know of any schools I should apply to that has a respectable engineering department? Anywhere in the U.S. Also, any advice for me? I'm trying to get back on track,

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: 22 years old. Need advice on what to do with my low GPA and transferring out of

What does your academic advisor suggest?

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3
    Re: 22 years old. Need advice on what to do with my low GPA and transferring out of

I don't have one. I've been suggested many things by many different counselors. I have no clue what to do to be honest. I'm just taking classes that's all. I just finished all my GE. Working on Major requirement classes now.

5. Jan 30, 2012 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I have never heard of a student at a CC without an academic advisor. Are you sure you don't have one? If you wanted to change classes, who would you talk to?

6. Jan 30, 2012 #5

Also, if you have only taken courses at community college, it is highly unlikely that you will have "only 1-1.5" years of undergrad left. 4 year schools are not in the market of letting people sign on for a year to finish out their degrees. It does not make sense economically.

7. Jan 30, 2012 #6

When I need to change classes, I just do it myself online. They have classes for me to see online on a website (assist.org). And I have just been following that. They do have advisers, but I have always led me to take different classes, so I've been confused as to what to do. Now I just follow the assist.org site because it's clear. I talked to an adviser and he said I should do SDSU, which is near my home, but the problem is that It's harder to get into SDSU because it's not part of my schools TAG programs.

Sorry I don't mean undergrad hehe I meant lower division coursework.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook