2arctan(1/2)+arccos(-3/5)=x how to solve?

• Thread starter Wi_N
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving finding the sum of two unknown values, which is known to be pi. The suggested approach is to use trigonometric addition formulas and manipulate the expressions using double angle formulas. The OP is seeking guidance on how to proceed with solving the problem.
Wi_N

Homework Statement

I need their sum, i know its pi but i have no idea how to get that.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

no idea where to even begin solve it algebraic or analytical. convert them into tan and cos I am clueless.
any guidance would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wi_N said:

Homework Statement

I need their sum, i know its pi but i have no idea how to get that.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

no idea where to even begin solve it algebraic or analytical. convert them into tan and cos I am clueless.
any guidance would be appreciated.

I would start by taking e.g. ##\cos## of both sides.

You can use the trigonometric addition formulas.
start with tan(2 arctan (1/2)). use tan(2x) = 2 tan(x)/(1-(tan(x))^2)

Then you compute the cosine of the whole expression with the addition formula for cos(a+b).

you'll have to compute terms like cos (atn(a)). If you draw a right triangle with one angle equal to atn(a) it should be easy to see what cos(atn(a)) is.

As the first term is twice the angle α = arctan(1/2), assume that arcos(-3/5)=2β. Use the double angle forrmula to get cos2β. Following @willem2's hint, you get how tan2β and cos2β are related, so you get tanβ. How is it related to tan α?

Likes scottdave
@all:

Our rules require some effort from the OP to show us where the difficulties are. Otherwise answers will just be wild guesses, or full solutions. Please report such threads like this one. If we start to make exceptions, the rule will become meaningless and we would develop from a teaching website to a problem solving one, contradicting one of our most basic principles. Thank you.

Likes scottdave

1. What is the equation 2arctan(1/2)+arccos(-3/5)=x?

The equation 2arctan(1/2)+arccos(-3/5)=x is a trigonometric equation that involves the inverse trigonometric functions arctan and arccos. It is asking for the value of x that satisfies the equation.

2. How do I solve the equation 2arctan(1/2)+arccos(-3/5)=x?

To solve this equation, you can use the properties of inverse trigonometric functions and algebraic manipulation. First, you can use the tangent half-angle formula to rewrite arctan(1/2) as arccos(2/3). Then, you can use the inverse trigonometric identity arccos(-x) = π - arccos(x) to rewrite arccos(-3/5) as π - arccos(3/5). Finally, you can combine like terms and solve for x.

3. What are the steps to solve 2arctan(1/2)+arccos(-3/5)=x?

The steps to solve this equation are as follows:

1. Use the tangent half-angle formula to rewrite arctan(1/2) as arccos(2/3).
  2. Use the inverse trigonometric identity arccos(-x) = π - arccos(x) to rewrite arccos(-3/5) as π - arccos(3/5).
  3. Combine like terms and simplify the equation.
  4. Solve for x.

4. Can this equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, this equation can have multiple solutions. Since the inverse trigonometric functions have multiple values for a given input, there can be more than one value of x that satisfies the equation. It is important to consider the domain and range of the inverse trigonometric functions when solving this equation.

5. What are the possible values of x for this equation?

The possible values of x for this equation depend on the values of the inverse trigonometric functions used in the equation. In this case, x can take on any value in the interval [0, 2π) since both arccos(2/3) and π - arccos(3/5) have values in this interval. However, it is important to check for any restrictions on the domain of the inverse trigonometric functions that may limit the possible values of x.