Welcome Paul Ask Your Physics 12 Questions Here

In summary, Nautica and Paul say that it depends on the angle you are talking about and that 2D kinematics is not just limited to motion under the influence of Earth's gravity. They also say that it is good to remember to break 2D vectors into their 1D components and to learn to choose the sine or cosine as appropriate.
xXshortyXx
Hey every one,
This is my first post on the forums glad to know i have such smart people here who can help me when I am stuck. right now I am taking physics 12 in British columbia. For some reason I am really having trouble grasping the topic of 2d kinematics. any pointers in helping me understand will be greatly apprecieated!

THX Paul

Physics news on Phys.org
I've always thought the whole gist of the thing went something like "Left and right have nothing to do with up and down except for time, and if you find something that appears to have both, it won't after a sine or cosine."

cookiemonster

Originally posted by xXshortyXx
Hey every one,
This is my first post on the forums glad to know i have such smart people here who can help me when I am stuck. right now I am taking physics 12 in British columbia. For some reason I am really having trouble grasping the topic of 2d kinematics. any pointers in helping me understand will be greatly apprecieated!

THX Paul

Well what specifically are you having trouble with. Maybe give an example problem.

With 2D kineamatics you must remember that the Y direction (up and Down) are only dependent on gravity and the range or X direction is only dependent on the intial velocity in that direction. The 2 forumulas should help.

X = r cos of the angle.
Y = r sin of the angle.

Always break these vectors down and then it is a plug and chug from then on.

Nautica

Er.. x is not necessarily paired with the cosine and y is not necessarily paired with the sine. It really depends on which angle you're talking about. Additionally, 2D kinematics is not limited to motion under the influence of Earth's gravity and really should be generalized beyond such a scenario.

It is good advice to always break 2D vectors into their 1D components, though, and you will do that with trig functions.

cookiemonster

If you will notice in my post I qualified my Y by saying it was up and down.

Nautica

Even so, y not always paired with the sine. Take, for instance, a swinging pendulum. The angle is usually taken to be between the y-axis and the rod. In such a case, the vertical is paired with the cosine.

I think it's better to just remember to separate components and to learn to choose the sine or cosine as appropriate.

cookiemonster

2d Equations

Y=Voyt-.5gt^2
Vy=Voy-gt
Vy^2=Voy^2-2gy

1. What is "Welcome Paul Ask Your Physics 12 Questions Here"?

"Welcome Paul Ask Your Physics 12 Questions Here" is a forum or platform where individuals can ask questions related to Physics 12 and receive answers from experts or other members of the community.

2. How can I ask my Physics 12 questions on this platform?

To ask your Physics 12 questions, simply type your question in the designated space and click on the "Submit" button. Your question will then be posted on the platform for others to see and answer.

3. Who can answer my Physics 12 questions on this platform?

Anyone who has knowledge and expertise in Physics 12 can answer your questions on this platform. This includes experts, teachers, students, and other members of the community.

4. Are the answers provided on this platform reliable?

The answers provided on this platform are based on the knowledge and understanding of the person answering the question. It is always recommended to do your own research and consult with your teacher or a professional for accurate and reliable information.

5. Can I ask multiple Physics 12 questions on this platform?

Yes, you can ask multiple Physics 12 questions on this platform. However, it is recommended to ask one question at a time to ensure that you receive thorough and accurate answers.