Where Will the Falling Suitcase Land? - Projectile Motion Homework Question

In summary, the problem involves an airplane flying at a velocity of 90.0 m/s at an angle of 23.0m\s above the horizontal. A suitcase is dropped from the plane when it is 115 m above an observer on the ground. The goal is to calculate the distance from the observer where the suitcase will land, ignoring air resistance. The solution involves finding the time of flight using the equation y = ut + 1/2at^2, then using this time to calculate the range using the equation x = ut. Finally, the Pythagorean Theorem is used to find the distance from the observer.
alex2256

Homework Statement

OK, I'm posting to clarify if my answer is correct.

1. An airplane is flying with a velocity of 90.0 m/s at an angle of 23.0m\s above the horizontal. When the plane is a distance 115 m directly above an observer that is standing on level ground, a suitcase drops out of the luggage compartment. How far from the observer will the suitcase land? You can ignore air resistance.

Homework Equations

y = ut + 1/2at^2
x = ut

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, I divided the x and y components into a table, then solved for time and got 4.845 seconds. I then plugged it into x = ut and got 436.05m, then constructed a triangle and did the Pythagorean Theorem and got 450.9m

Could someone please check this for me, since I don't have the answers to the question?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
To find time of flight t, use
y = - u*sinθ*t + 1/2*g*t^2.
- u*sinθ is the vertical component of the velocity of projection.
Then the range = u*cosθ*t

Your approach seems correct. To verify your answer, you can also use the equations for projectile motion:

y = y0 + v0y*t + 1/2 * a * t^2
x = x0 + v0x * t

Where:
y0 = initial height (115m)
v0y = initial vertical velocity (calculated using 90m/s and 23 degrees)
a = acceleration due to gravity (-9.8 m/s^2)
x0 = initial horizontal position (0m)
v0x = initial horizontal velocity (calculated using 90m/s and 23 degrees)

Solving for t in the first equation, we get t = 4.845 seconds, which is the same as what you calculated. Plugging this value of t into the second equation, we get x = 436.05m, which is also the same as what you calculated.

So, your answer of 450.9m using the Pythagorean Theorem is correct. Good job!

1. What is 2D projectile motion?

2D projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched or thrown at an angle, experiencing both horizontal and vertical motion due to the force of gravity.

2. What are the key components of 2D projectile motion?

The key components of 2D projectile motion include the initial velocity, launch angle, horizontal and vertical displacement, and time.

3. How is 2D projectile motion different from 1D projectile motion?

2D projectile motion involves both horizontal and vertical components, while 1D projectile motion only has a vertical component. Additionally, 2D projectile motion requires the use of vector components and trigonometric functions to calculate the motion, while 1D projectile motion can be solved using basic kinematic equations.

4. What are the equations used to solve 2D projectile motion problems?

The equations used to solve 2D projectile motion problems include the horizontal displacement formula (x = v0cosθt), vertical displacement formula (y = v0sinθt - 1/2gt2), and the time of flight formula (t = 2v0sinθ/g).

5. What are some real-life examples of 2D projectile motion?

Examples of 2D projectile motion in real life include throwing a ball, launching a rocket, and shooting a basketball into a hoop. It can also be seen in sports such as javelin throwing, long jump, and discus throwing.