2nd Order Differential Equation (Complex)

In summary, the general solution of the differential equation is y(t) = C_1 e^t \cos t + C_2 e^2 \sin t +e^t.
roam

Homework Statement

Find the general solution to the following differential equation:

[itex]\frac{d^2 y}{dt^2} - 2 \frac{dy}{dt} + 2y =e^t[/itex]

The correct answer must be: [itex]y(t) = C_1 e^t \cos t + C_2 e^2 \sin t +e^t[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't been able to get the correct answer so far. The eigenvalues are:

[itex]\lambda^2-2 \lambda +2 = 0[/itex]

[itex]\lambda = \frac{2 \pm \sqrt{4-8}}{2} = 1 \pm i[/itex]

So the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous equation is:

[itex]y_h(t) = C_1 e^{(1-i)t} + C_2 e^{(1-i)t} [/itex]

And with inspection a particular solution is yp = et, so the general solution must be:

[itex]y(t) = C_1 e^{(1-i)t} + C_2 e^{(1-i)t} + e^t[/itex]

Using Euler's formula:

[itex]y(t) = C_1 \frac{e^t}{\cos t + i \sin t} + C_2 e^t (\cos t + i \sin t)+ e^t[/itex]

So, why is my answer so different from the correct answer provided? What do I have to do in order to get the correct answer?

Any help is really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The general solution of the reduced equation should be:
[tex]y_c=e^{t}(C_1 \cos t + C_2 \sin t)[/tex]Then, use the method of variation of parameters to find the particular integral.
roam said:
The correct answer must be: [itex]y(t) = C_1 e^t \cos t + C_2 e^2 \sin t +e^t[/itex]
I think you mistyped the answer as i got the general equation: [itex]y(t) = C_1 e^t \cos t + C_2 e^t \sin t +e^t[/itex]

Last edited:
roam said:

Homework Statement

Find the general solution to the following differential equation:

[itex]\frac{d^2 y}{dt^2} - 2 \frac{dy}{dt} + 2y =e^t[/itex]

[itex]\lambda = \frac{2 \pm \sqrt{4-8}}{2} = 1 \pm i[/itex]

So the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous equation is:

[itex]y_h(t) = C_1 e^{(1-i)t} + C_2 e^{(1-i)t} [/itex]

And with inspection a particular solution is yp = et, so the general solution must be:

[itex]y(t) = C_1 e^{(1-i)t} + C_2 e^{(1-i)t} + e^t[/itex]

Using Euler's formula:

[itex]y(t) = C_1 \frac{e^t}{\cos t + i \sin t} + C_2 e^t (\cos t + i \sin t)+ e^t[/itex]

The homogeneous solution should be written$$y_h(t) = C_1 e^{(1+i)t} + C_2 e^{(1-i)t} + e^t
=C_1e^te^{it}+C_2e^te^{-it} =
C_1e^t(\cos t + i \sin t)+C_2e^t(\cos t - i\sin t)$$from which you can get the sine - cosine form by collecting terms and renaming the constants.

Yest, that was a typo I meant et not e2.

Thanks a lot LCKurtz for the hint, I finally got the correct expression.

1. What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of an unknown function. It is commonly used to model physical systems in physics and engineering.

2. What makes a differential equation complex?

A differential equation is considered complex if it involves complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary part. These equations may have solutions that involve complex functions, such as sine and cosine, rather than just real numbers.

3. How do you solve a 2nd order differential equation with complex solutions?

To solve a 2nd order differential equation with complex solutions, we use the same techniques as solving real solutions, but we also need to use complex number algebra. We can also use the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters to find the particular solution.

4. What is the significance of complex solutions in differential equations?

Complex solutions in differential equations have important applications in physics and engineering. They can represent oscillations, waves, and other physical phenomena that involve both real and imaginary components. They also provide a more complete understanding of the behavior of systems.

5. Can a 2nd order differential equation have both real and complex solutions?

Yes, a 2nd order differential equation can have both real and complex solutions. This is because the general solution of a 2nd order differential equation with constant coefficients is a linear combination of real and complex functions. The real solutions represent the physical behavior of the system, while the complex solutions provide additional information about the system's behavior.