1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd order ode w/complex conjugate roots

1. Jan 13, 2009 #1
    x''+x'+2x=0 x(0)=2 x'(0)=0

I've taken the characteristic equation and reduced the roots to

1/2 +- Sqrt(7/4)i of the form

a +- bi (i = sqrt(-1)

Then i put the homogeneous solution into the form of e[tex]^{}at[/tex]*(B1cos(bt)+B2sin(bt))

for B1 i used the first i.c. and found that B1=2

for B2 i used the i.c. for x' and found B2 to be 1/(sqrt7/4)

now i need to get it into the form of Ae[tex]^{}at[/tex]sin(bt+phi)

where A = sqrt(B1^2+B2^2) and phi is acos(B1/A)

the problem is that A is not the hypotenuse of of a right triangle. I didn't know if i screwed up my b values along the way or if i should go to the law of cosines, but i saw no mention of such a problem so I figured i may have made an error beforehand. any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2009 #2
    Actually I dont understand what your problem is... :D

What do you mean by "A is not the hypotenuse of a right triangle"??, What right triangle?

4. Jan 13, 2009 #3
    I mean that in this case law of cosines would be required to find A

so i can't reduce the homogeneous solution by the method i was given (A = sqrt(B1^2+B2^2) , so i'm wondering if i made a mistake beforehand.

;]

5. Jan 13, 2009 #4
    I think you made a tiny arithmetic error, you have x'' + x' + 2x = 0, let's say the char. equation is a^2 + a + 2 = 0, quadratic formula gives us roots

[tex] \frac{-1 \pm \sqrt{-7}}{2} = -\frac{1}{2} \pm i\sqrt{\frac{7}{4}} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?