Calculating Volume of Intersection for 3 Balls with Different Centers

In summary, we have a problem where we need to find the volume of intersection of three balls with radii 2 and centers at (1,0,0), (0,1,0), and (0,0,1). One possible approach is to translate and rotate the space in order to satisfy the conditions for a known method. This approach is valid since translations and rotations preserve volume. To begin, we can translate the space such that one vector ends up at (0,0,0).
mccoy1

Homework Statement

If i have 3 balls of radii =2 and centres =(1,0,0),(0,1,0) and (0,0,1). Find the volume of the intersection of the three balls.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The only method i know only works when the first ball has a centre at (0,0,0) and the second has the centre at x-xis. But these three balls have their centres at each axis. What can I do? Thank you guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mccoy1! :smile:

Maybe you can translate and rotate the space a bit such that the three balls do satisfy your conditions. And since translations and rotations preserve voluma, we can do this.

So, first, try to translate the space such that one vector ends up in (0,0,0).

micromass said:
Hi mccoy1! :smile:

So, first, try to translate the space such that one vector ends up in (0,0,0).

It makes sense, but how do I do just that? I haven't learn that yet to be honest. I'll google it in a meanwhile.
Thanks for the tip.

1. What is the concept of 3 Balls, intersection?

The concept of 3 Balls, intersection is a mathematical problem involving three balls placed in a two-dimensional space, where they intersect at a single point. The problem asks for the probability that a randomly chosen point in the space will lie within the intersection of all three balls.

2. How is the probability of 3 Balls, intersection calculated?

The probability of 3 Balls, intersection is calculated by dividing the volume of the intersection by the total volume of the space in which the balls are placed. This can be represented by the formula P = V_intersection / V_total.

3. What are the possible outcomes for 3 Balls, intersection?

There are three possible outcomes for 3 Balls, intersection: the balls do not intersect at all, they intersect at one point, or they intersect at two points. The probability of each outcome depends on the specific dimensions and placement of the balls.

4. What real-world applications does 3 Balls, intersection have?

3 Balls, intersection has many real-world applications, such as in physics for calculating the probability of particles colliding in a given space, in computer graphics for determining the intersection of multiple objects, and in statistics for estimating the probability of events occurring simultaneously.

5. Are there any variations of the 3 Balls, intersection problem?

Yes, there are many variations of the 3 Balls, intersection problem, such as adding more balls to the space or changing the dimensions of the space. There are also variations that involve different shapes, such as cubes or cylinders, instead of balls.