Solve 3 Blocks Question Homework: F=MA

• Thread starter IneedHelp:-)
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blocks
In summary, the problem involves three blocks with masses of 1 kg, 3 kg, and 6 kg on a frictionless table, being pushed by a 17 N force applied to the 1 kg block. The solution involves considering all three blocks together and setting up equations for each block's acceleration and force, which results in finding the force of the 3 kg block on the 6 kg block to be 10 N and the force of the 3 kg block on the 1 kg block to be 6 N.
IneedHelp:-)

Homework Statement

Blocks with masses of 1 kg, 3 kg, and 6 kg are lined up in a row on a frictionless table. All three are pushed forward by a 17 N force applied to the 1 kg block.
(a) How much force does the 3 kg block exert on the 6 kg block?
(b) How much force does the 3 kg block exert on the 1 kg block?

Homework Equations

F=MA

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) 17N=1kg(a)
17=a

3kg+1kg=4kg 1+3+6=10 170-68=102
F=4kg(17) F=10kg(17)
68=F 170=F

Completely missing this one I need some direction please!

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) 17N=1kg(a)
17=a
This isn't correct because the 1 kg mass pushes against the 3 kg mass, and by Newton's 3rd law, it pushes BACK on the 1 kg mass. So the acceleration is reduced.

You really have to consider all the masses together. You could write an F = ma equation for each mass. The first one would be
17 - F1 = 1a
where F1 is the force that the 2nd mass pushes on the first, and the first pushes on the second. Keep going on this and you'll have a set of three F = ma equations with unknowns a, F1 and F2. The two forces are the answers to the two parts of the question.

If you just want to find the acceleration, you could think of the 17 N being applied to the combined mass of all three blocks.

thanks for the help, i am having trouble following what you are saying could u give me a starting point so I can go from there and finish the problem. Physics is not my cup of tea I can't visualize this in my head at all!

Start with the 17 N acting on a mass of 1+3+6 and find the acceleration.

Next, consider the 1 kg block pushing on the 3 + 6 kg blocks.
What force must be acting on the 3+6 to make it accelerate with the value you found first?

ok, so I did 17N = 10kg(a). Therefor, a must equal 1.7 correct?

Then, I plugged 1.7 into F=4kg(1.7) which gave me 6.8. I thought this would be correct for portion (a) but it wasn't. I did not attempt the second part of the question because this was wrong. Does this mean that only the 3kg force is the answer, bc that would be 5.1.

That does not make sense to me though because wouldn't the 3kg force also include the force that the 1kg block is acting on that? I am really sorry but I just cannot understand why I am not getting the right answer physics is my weakness and I really am trying.

The 1.7 m/s^2 is correct - good start!

Next, consider the 1 kg block pushing on the 3 + 6 kg blocks.
What force must be acting on the 3+6 to make it accelerate with 1.7 m/s^2?
This is the force of the 1 kg on the 3 kg; and of course the force of the 3 on the 1 which is question (b).

OK, so that would mean F=9kg(1.7m/s2)... this gives an answer of 15.3 N. So if block 1 must be using this force, how do you take that force and figure out what the 3 must be using on the 6?

Would it be F=6kg(1.7), because that would give you the force that must be used in order to get the 6kg block to accelerate at 1.7 thus what the 3 kg block must be pushing with?

I think you've got it!

Awesome, thank you so much delphi you are awesome!

Most welcome!

FAQ: Solve 3 Blocks Question Homework: F=MA

1. What is the formula for F=MA?

The formula for F=MA is used to calculate the force exerted on an object. It states that force (F) is equal to mass (M) multiplied by acceleration (A).

2. How do you solve a 3 blocks question using F=MA?

To solve a 3 blocks question using F=MA, you need to first identify the mass and acceleration of each block. Then, use the formula to calculate the force exerted on each block. Finally, use the principle of action and reaction to determine the net force on each block.

3. What is the principle of action and reaction?

The principle of action and reaction, also known as Newton's Third Law of Motion, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

4. What are the units of measurement for F=MA?

The units of measurement for F=MA are Newtons (N) for force, kilograms (kg) for mass, and meters per second squared (m/s²) for acceleration.

5. How is F=MA used in real life?

F=MA is used in various real-life applications, such as designing bridges and buildings, calculating the motion of objects in space, and understanding the forces involved in sports and other physical activities. It is also used in everyday situations, such as driving a car or riding a bike.