Solve 3 Functions Problems: Find Equations, Intersections, and Roots

• Thread starter tornzaer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, you need to find the equation of a line in the form y = mx+b through the points (2, 3) and the midpoint of the line segment joining (-1, 4) and (3, 2). You also need to find the coordinates of the point(s) where the line through the point (-1, 2) with slope 1/2 intersects the circle with center at the origin and radius 5. To do this, you will need to solve a system of equations using substitution. Finally, to find all values of k so that the quadratic equation 4kx^2 + 3x + k = 0 has two distinct real roots, you will need to use the quadratic
tornzaer

Homework Statement

1) Find the equation of the form y = mx+b of the line through the points (2, 3) and the
midpoint of the line segment joining (−1, 4) and (3, 2).
2) Calculate the coordinates of the point(s) where the line through the point (−1, 2) with
slope 1/2 intersects the circle with centre the origin and radius 5.
3) Find all values of k so that 4kx^2 + 3x + k = 0 has two distinct real roots.

Homework Equations

1) y=mx+b
2) I really do not know
3) Factor and then solve for k

The Attempt at a Solution

1) m=(2-4)/(3--1) That is my slope, but what is the y intercept?
2) I don't really understand the question.
3) How am I to factor a polynomial with 2 unknowns?

Please help. I'm really lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) You need to find the coordinate of the midpoint between (−1, 4) and (3, 2). Once you find that, you'll have two points with which to find the equation of the line y = mx + b.

2) Have you found the equation of the line given? What will be the equation of the circle for the one described in the problem? Find those two equations then solve them simultaneously, or together.

3) Do you remember something to do with quadratic equations that tells you how many real roots a quadratic has?

I got 1, thank you.

For 2, the equation would be 1/2x + 2, correct? I'm stuck at the circle portion, however.

3) For a quadratic equation, there are 2 roots, found by factoring. However, how do I factor a function with 2 unknowns (k and x)?

2) You almost have the right equation, but one of the numbers is wrong.
For a circle with its center at the origin and with radius r, its equation is x2 + y2 = r2

3) Do you know about the quadratic formula and the discriminant?

2) Which number is wrong? The slope is given and I think the y intercept is the y-value. as for the circle, would the y-value be the y intercept and would the r be 5? then I can solve for x.

3) Do I factor out the k and use x=-b+-sqrtb^2-4ac/2a?

2) Plug in (-1, 2) in your equation and you'll see it's wrong. The slope is correct, so the y-intercept is wrong. Check your math again with solving for b in y = mx + b using (-1, 2).
Your circle equation will just be x2 + y2 = 52 (since you know r = 5). x and y intercepts aren't important with the circle.

3) Starting with 4kx^2 + 3x + k = 0, and using the quadratic formula (don't factor out any k), what will a, b, and c be?

2) I'm getting the y-intercept of 3/2. What do I do with the 5 radius, however?

3) a will be 4k, b will be 3 and c will be k.

2) 3/2 is still wrong. Try showing your work in finding b.
Since you know the radius is 5, you plug it into the circle equation. It's in my previous post. You solve that equation with the correct line equation once you've got it.

3) Now plug the three values into the discriminant; are you familiar with the discriminant?

2) 2=1/2(-1)+b ? makes sense?

3) Not familiar I'm afraid.

Edit: since b2-4ac = 1, there are two roots. Just learned about discriminants. Can you help me from there, please?

Last edited:
tornzaer said:
2) 2=1/2(-1)+b ? makes sense?

That is right so far. but I suspect that when you add 1/2 and 2, you're rewriting 2 as 2/2 instead of 4/2. What should you get?

3) Plug in the values for a, b, and c in the discriminant √(b2 - 4ac)
You'll have the unknown k in there, and in order to have two distinct real roots, the discriminant must be greater than 0. How can you find what k should be in order to get two distinct real roots?

2) 5/2. I subtracted instead of adding...

3) So k has to be a positive number?

Can you finish 2) now?

3) The discriminant has to be greater than 0 to have two distinct real roots. So you want to solve for k in the inequality discriminant > 0 where the discriminant has the values given to you in the original equation. Does that make sense?

2) What am I to do with the radius though?

3) I'm not too clear on this. Could you give an example?

2) The circle's equation is:

x2-y2=25

You also got the equation of line:

y=(1/2)x+n

to find n substitute for the point (−1, 2)

When you got both of the equations, you need to solve the system of equations to find the intersection point.

3)To have two real and distinct roots than the determinant D≰0. In other words D>0.

You have the equation

[tex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/tex]

[tex]D=b^2-4ac >0[/tex]

Just find a,b,c in your equation. :smile:

2) How do I go about solving the system of equations?

3) How can I find a,b,c when I don't know what K is?

2) In a case like this, the best way to solve the system of equations is to use substitution. You have the equation y = (1/2)x + 5/2 and you know what y is since it's by itself. Substitute, or replace y in the circle equation x2 + y2 = 25 with what it is equal to, so you have an equation with just one variable: x. Then you can solve for that variable. Do that first and post what you get.

3) The discriminant is b2 - 4ac (the square root isn't important here) and earlier you said "a will be 4k, b will be 3 and c will be k." Replace those in the discriminant in the inequality b2 - 4ac > 0 and post what you get. Do you see why you would want to get something like this for the problem?

3) So it will be (3)^2-4(4k)(k) which is 9-16k^2 > 0.

Yes, so now you have to solve for k, and you will have the values for k that give the equation two distinct real roots.

njama said:
2) The circle's equation is:

x2-y2=25

This is not the equation of any circle.

Mark44 said:
This is not the equation of any circle.

You could let him spot that I wrote the wrong sign. Sigh.

njama said:
You could let him spot that I wrote the wrong sign. Sigh.
If the OP is having trouble figuring out the equation of a straight line he/she might not notice that incorrect sign.

Related to Solve 3 Functions Problems: Find Equations, Intersections, and Roots

1. What is the purpose of solving 3 functions problems?

The purpose of solving 3 functions problems is to find equations, intersections, and roots of three given functions. This allows us to understand the relationships between the functions and find the values of the variables that satisfy all three equations simultaneously.

2. How do you find the equations of three functions?

To find the equations of three functions, we need to have three sets of data points for each function. Using these data points, we can plot the points on a graph and determine the slope of each function. The equations can then be written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

3. What is the significance of finding intersections in 3 functions problems?

Finding intersections in 3 functions problems allows us to determine the points where the three functions intersect on a graph. These points represent the solutions to the system of equations formed by the three functions, and they can help us understand the relationships between the functions and their common solutions.

4. How do you find the roots of three functions?

The roots of three functions are the values of the variables that make all three functions equal to zero. To find the roots, we need to set each function equal to zero and solve for the variable. The solutions will be the x-values where the functions intersect on a graph, also known as the roots.

5. What are some common strategies for solving 3 functions problems?

Some common strategies for solving 3 functions problems include graphing the functions to visually determine the intersections, using substitution or elimination to solve the system of equations, and using technology such as a graphing calculator or computer program to find the roots and intersections.