Finding Tension T1 in a Pulley System

In summary, the tension in the string between the two blocks on the left-hand side of the pulley is 9.8 N.
emilyb1995
A pulley is massless and frictionless. The
masses 2 kg, 3 kg, and 6 kg are suspended as
in the figure.

(Figure Attached)

What is the tension T1 in the string be-
tween the two blocks on the left-hand side
of the pulley? The acceleration of gravity is
9.8 m/s2 .
Answer in units of N

I'm completely stupped and have no clue where to begin. Just a hint on where to begin would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,834
Physics news on Phys.org
you should start by drawing a free-body diagram for each mass

It would just be Fg and Ft acting on each mass, correct?

well, yeah. The only forces here are the force of gravity on each mass and the force due to the strings on each of them

if you write down the net force for each of them then you should be able to see where to go from there

I write them down like this: (I'm going to tall the 6k mass m1)

F1 = m1g - T3

it's important to make sure the signs of each force are correct. I am setting downwards to be the positive direction.

(to get the little subscripts you can use the X2 button in the second row of the list of buttons in the post editor thingy)

Okay. So, if the 3kg mass is m2 and the 2kg mass is m3:

F2=T2-m2g
and
F3=T1-m3g

Are those correct?

Everything plugged in would be:

F1=6a=58.8-T3
F2=3a=T2-29.4
F3=2a=T1-19.6

Last edited:
emilyb1995 said:
Okay. So, if the 3kg mass is m2 and the 2kg mass is m3:

F2=T2-m2g
and
F3=T1-m3g

Are those correct?

Everything plugged in would be:

F1=6a=58.8-T3
F2=3a=T2-29.4
F3=2a=T1-19.6

well, really, at this point you don't want to plug anything in just yet. Oftentimes I find it easier to go through a physics problem with just the variables; it makes things less complicated when I write it down, and I know exactly where everything is, in case I need to do some algebra to it. also, I would reexamine the forces acting on the 3kg mass, m2

and then finally, of course, we're going to need the net force on the entire system, which is simply Fnet = (m1 + m2 + m3)a

That makes sense. So, with the 3k force, would it be
F2=T2-(m2g+m3g) ?
And if so, how would I solve for T1?

emilyb1995 said:
That makes sense. So, with the 3k force, would it be
F2=T2-(m2g+m3g) ?
And if so, how would I solve for T1?

Well, it's actually a bit simpler than that. If you just look at the 3kg mass, there should be three forces acting on it. You got gravity and the 2nd tension force, but there's one more.

Would T1 be acting on it as well?

emilyb1995 said:
Would T1 be acting on it as well?

yep, so now you have four equations, right? One for the force acting on each mass, and one for the net force on the system. Don't forget that the net force acting on any object or system is just the sum of the forces acting on it.

Hmmm. You lost me. Would the system's Net Force equation just be m1g-T3+T2-T1-m2g+T1-m3g

emilyb1995 said:
Hmmm. You lost me. Would the system's Net Force equation just be m1g-T3+T2-T1-m2g+T1-m3g

it's just F1 + F2 + F3

those are the three forces acting on the system, so we just add them together to get the total. You should find that the tension forces all cancel out (pay close attention to how T2 and T3 relate to each other if you don't see why they cancel out).

Because the masses are suspended, would F2+F3=F1?

P.S. Sorry for all the questions, I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around it.

That would be true if the system were not moving. However, one side of the pulley has more mass than the other side. Common sense tells us that the side with more mass will go downwards, while the side with less mass will move upwards. So we know that the total force on the system can't be zero, because the masses are unbalanced.

So, there are three parts to this system. And to get the sum of the forces acting on the system, you just add up all the forces acting on each part of the system.

We're doing this because we don't know the total acceleration of the system. We need that to figure out T1. We know that all we need is a, because in the equation for F3, the only unknown quantity besides T1 is a.

it's m3 = T1 - m3g

so by determining a, we can determine T1 using that equation

to determine a, we need to find out what the total force acting on the system is. And since we have equations for each of the individual forces acting on the system we can just add them up to find the net force.

Just clicked. Thank you so much. Got it right. :)

1. How do I determine the tension in a pulley system?

The tension in a pulley system can be determined by using the equation T1 = T2 + (m*g), where T1 is the tension on the first side of the pulley, T2 is the tension on the second side of the pulley, m is the mass of the object being lifted, and g is the gravitational acceleration. Alternatively, you can also use the equation T1 = 2T2, where T2 is the tension on the second side of the pulley.

2. What factors affect the tension in a pulley system?

The tension in a pulley system is affected by several factors, including the weight of the object being lifted, the number of pulleys in the system, the angle of the rope, and the friction between the rope and pulley. The length and thickness of the rope can also affect the tension.

3. Can the tension in a pulley system be greater than the weight of the object being lifted?

Yes, the tension in a pulley system can be greater than the weight of the object being lifted. This is because the tension is distributed among the multiple ropes and pulleys in the system, allowing for a higher overall tension to lift heavier objects.

4. How does the direction of the applied force affect the tension in a pulley system?

The direction of the applied force does not affect the tension in a pulley system. The tension will remain the same regardless of whether the force is applied upwards or downwards, as long as the force is being applied to lift the object.

5. Is there a maximum tension that a pulley system can handle?

Yes, there is a maximum tension that a pulley system can handle. This is dependent on the strength and durability of the materials used in the pulley system. It is important to make sure that the tension in the system does not exceed the weight capacity of the pulleys and ropes to prevent any potential damage or accidents.