3 x 3 Matrices, and solving a series of equations.

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of matrices to solve equations and determine if they form a prism. The individual is able to spot when equations are inconsistent, the same, or distinct lines, but sometimes the equations form a prism. They used an example question from a textbook to explain how to determine if equations form a prism and how to find the lines or planes of intersection. The individual also mentioned using a computer program to plot the planes and the criteria for equations to form a prism.
finchie_88
I can solve equations using matrices (finding the inverse method etc), and in my textbook at the moment it sometimes gives questions where the determinant is zero,I understand what that means, and I can spot whether the equations are inconsistent, the same thing (just multiplied by a number), or several distinct lines, but sometimes, they form prisms. My question is: how can you tell from the equations that they form a prism?
Here is an example question from my book...
Solve:
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&1&1\\2&3&-4\\5&8&-13\end{array}\right)[/tex]x[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}x&y&z\end{array}\right)[/tex]=
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}4&3&8\end{array}\right)[/tex]

edit: Sorry about thedodge matrices, its my first time doing them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was curious about this question, so ...

The eqns are,

x + y + z = 4 ------------------(1)
2x + 3y - 4z = 3 ---------------(2)
5x + 8y - 13z = 8 --------------(3)

I plotted these three eqns as planes and found that they do form a prism.
Then I noticed that the lines of intersection of the three planes all looked parallel.
I then took each pair of planes to find the line/plane of intersection.

(2) - 2*(1) gives,

y - 6z = -5 -------------(4)
========

(3) - 5*(1) gives,

3y - 18z = -12
y - 6z = -4 -------------(5)
=========

5*(2), 2*(3) gives,

10x + 15y - 20z = 15 ------------(6)
10x + 16y - 26z = 16 ------------(7)

(7) - (6) gives,

y - 6z = 1 -------------(8)
========

The lines (or planes) (4), (5) and (8) all have the same slope (y=6z), and so are all parallel.

So, I don't think you can tell if a set of eqns form a prism just by casual observation, but if you do a little work on them, to show that they the intersecting planes all have the same "slope", then that should show that these eqns form a prism.

HTH

Last edited:
Thank you for the help. It is greatly appreciated.:biggrin:

You said that you plotted the planes, did you do that using a computer? (If you didn't, you must have some good art skills).

Yeah, I plotted them on my computer. :smile:
I used Autograph.

Well, they will form a "prism" if any 2 rows of the augmented matrix are consistent with each other, but all 3 together are not. This will happen when there are exactly 3 pivot positions in the augmented 3x4 matrix, and one of the pivot positions is in column 4.

1. What is a 3 x 3 matrix?

A 3 x 3 matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in 3 rows and 3 columns. It is used to represent and solve systems of linear equations.

2. How do you add or subtract two 3 x 3 matrices?

To add or subtract two 3 x 3 matrices, you simply add or subtract the corresponding elements in each matrix. For example, if you have matrices A and B, to add them you would add A11 + B11, A12 + B12, A13 + B13, and so on.

3. How do you multiply a 3 x 3 matrix by a scalar?

To multiply a 3 x 3 matrix by a scalar, you simply multiply every element in the matrix by the scalar. For example, if you have a matrix A and a scalar k, the result would be kA.

4. What is the inverse of a 3 x 3 matrix?

The inverse of a 3 x 3 matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. It is denoted as A^-1 and can be found using various methods such as Gaussian elimination or using the adjugate matrix.

5. How do you solve a system of linear equations using a 3 x 3 matrix?

To solve a system of linear equations using a 3 x 3 matrix, you would set up the equations in the form of AX = B, where A is the coefficient matrix, X is the variable matrix, and B is the constant matrix. Then, you would use matrix operations to solve for X, which represents the values of the variables in the system of equations.