Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3rd grade ?

1. May 21, 2008 #1
    Tory, Heather, Kara, and Donna went to see a movie. Heather took the first seat. Kara and Tory did not sit next to each other. Donna only sat next to Tory. In what order did the girls sit?

something not right here me thinks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2008 #2
    methinks also
    were there 5 seats? :D

4. May 21, 2008 #3
    all information is given.

I'm trying to find if this is from the tv show 'smarter than 5th grader'

I won't to see what answer was accepted.

5. May 21, 2008 #4
    K - H - D - T

Who said Heather had to be on the side? :tongue2:

6. May 21, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But Heather has to be in the first seat. Maybe there's a zero seat?

7. May 22, 2008 #6
    "Heather took the first seat."

I think this can be interpreted in two ways.

-First way: Heather sat down in seat '1'. (Which makes this problem seem impossible.)
    -Second way: Heather sat down first (no specific location) -- (Taking her seat first...)

That's how I see it anyways.

8. May 23, 2008 #7
    Who's to say that they all sat in a single row, or all on the same side of the aisle?

9. May 23, 2008 #8
    Quote:
    Tory, Heather, Kara, and Donna went to see a movie. Heather took the first seat. Kara and Tory did not sit next to each other. Donna only sat next to Tory. In what order did the girls sit?

put a comma between Donna only, and sat next to Tory and it works

isle HKDT

might just be a typo

10. May 25, 2008 #9

answer: heather-donna-tory-kara

11. May 25, 2008 #10
    Donna only sat next to Tory.

donna-tory-kara - doesn't work

12. May 27, 2008 #11
    K-h-t-d

13. May 28, 2008 #12
    Yes but that means the poster intentionally misguided the question. The "first seat" is not "sitting down first" in any dialect of English I've ever heard.

Feels less like a riddle and more like trying to interpret someone for whom English is their 4th language...

Is winning First Place the Bronze medal because its awarded before gold and silver?

14. May 28, 2008 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

They were at a drive in movie. Heather and Kara sat in the two front seats, Donna and Tory sat in the back

15. May 30, 2008 #14
    I would disagree...examples:
    He shot the first soldier killed in the battle (doesn't imply any line-up of soldiers)
    She ate the first cookie from the batch (again, no order implied)

I think the first seat can very well mean the one someone sat in first

16. May 31, 2008 #15

That's the point. It's a trick question. It's stupid and simple; no need for over-analysis.

17. Jun 12, 2008 #16
    Answer: Imhotep is invisible.

18. Mar 4, 2009 #17
    When they say "Donna only sat next to Tory" they mean "Donna is the only one who sat next to Tory." Alfi is right, it's HKDT.

19. Mar 9, 2009 #18
    no, first place is first because the racer finished first, opposed to second or third. it is not related in any way to when the award is given.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?