Solve 3x3 Matrix Equation: x, y, z Variables

• Thread starter Destroxia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3x3 Matrix
In summary, the matrix A satisfies the equation where x, y, and z can be any numbers. The correct matrix was found intuitively, but I want to know how to do it properly for future, more complex problems.
Destroxia

Homework Statement

Find a 3x3 matrix A that satisfies the following equation where x, y, and z can be any numbers.

## A \begin{vmatrix}
x \\
y \\
z
\end{vmatrix}
= \begin{vmatrix}
x + y \\
x - y \\
\end{vmatrix}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to solve this like we learned in class, with gaussian elimination, but it obviously doesn't work in this scenario, because all of the coefficients in the matrix are literal in this sense.

I found the correct matrix intuitively, but I want to know how to do it properly for future, more complex problems, I've looked at the book, but couldn't find any sample problems regarding this type of solution.## A = \begin{vmatrix}
a & b & c\\
d & e & f \\
g & h & i
\end{vmatrix}## <-- literal coefficients, not sure how to continue.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about how the matrix multiplication works, then you realize that the ##A## matrix is just a collection of coefficients infront of ##x,y,z## So in this case $$A =
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 & 0 \\
1 & -1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}
$$ To understand this yourself, try to generalize the entries of ##A## and then do the matrix multiplication with that column vector, and just equate coefficients.

Panphobia said:
Think about how the matrix multiplication works, then you realize that the ##A## matrix is just a collection of coefficients infront of ##x,y,z## So in this case $$A =
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 & 0 \\
1 & -1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}
$$ To understand this yourself, try to generalize the entries of ##A## and then do the matrix multiplication with that column vector, and just equate coefficients.

Okay, so it's just equating coefficients? Thank you very much!

Well to understand it you can think of it like that. For example in your case
$$
A
\begin{bmatrix}
x \\
y \\
z
\end{bmatrix}=
\begin{bmatrix}
a_{11} & a_{12} & a_{13} \\
a_{21} & a_{22} & a_{23} \\
a_{31} & a_{32} & a_{33}
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
x \\
y \\
z
\end{bmatrix} =
\begin{bmatrix}
a_{11}x + a_{12}y + a_{13}z \\
a_{21}x + a_{22}y + a_{23}z \\
a_{31}x + a_{32}y + a_{33}z
\end{bmatrix} =
\begin{bmatrix}
x + y \\
x-y \\
\end{bmatrix}

$$

See the result on the three base vectors
##
\begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
0 \\
\end{bmatrix}##,

##
\begin{bmatrix}
0 \\
1 \\
\end{bmatrix}##,

##
\begin{bmatrix}
0 \\
0 \\
\end{bmatrix}##.

1. How do I solve a 3x3 matrix equation with variables x, y, and z?

To solve a 3x3 matrix equation, you will need to use a method called "Gaussian elimination." This involves manipulating the matrix to convert it into a simpler form, eventually leading to the values of x, y, and z.

2. What is the purpose of solving a 3x3 matrix equation with variables x, y, and z?

Solving a 3x3 matrix equation allows you to find the values of x, y, and z that satisfy the given equations. This can be useful in solving systems of equations or finding the intersection of three planes in three-dimensional space.

3. Are there any special rules or steps to follow when solving a 3x3 matrix equation with variables x, y, and z?

There are various methods for solving 3x3 matrix equations, but the most common method is Gaussian elimination. This involves using row operations to manipulate the matrix into a simpler form. It is important to keep track of the row operations and maintain consistency throughout the process.

4. Can a 3x3 matrix equation with variables x, y, and z have more than one solution?

Yes, it is possible for a 3x3 matrix equation to have infinitely many solutions or no solutions at all. This depends on the specific coefficients and constants in the equation, as well as the relationship between the three variables.

5. How can I check my solution to a 3x3 matrix equation with variables x, y, and z?

To check your solution, you can substitute the values of x, y, and z into the original equations and see if they satisfy all three equations simultaneously. You can also plug the solution into the original matrix equation and see if it results in a zero matrix.