Upcoming 8-Core Processors: Release Date, Compatibility, and Performance

• Thread starter Kutt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Core
In summary, there is currently a 10 core 20 thread processor available with support for up to 4tb of quad channel RAM. It uses LGA1567 socket type and can potentially create a supercomputer with a theoretical speed of 224Ghz and 1tb of DDR3 RAM. However, it comes at a high price of around $31,000. Late next year, a 6-8 core ivy bridge-e and 8 core AMD piledriver are expected to be released, potentially providing more affordable options for high performance processors.
Kutt
When are the long awaited 8-core processors from AMD and Intel going to be commercially available? Will they use current sockets and chipsets or require new ones?

What kind of applications would fully make use of an 8-core 16-thread processor? Certainly there aren't any PC games that would need or use so much CPU resources. Do I really need this much CPU power if I'm just playing games, viewing photos, and browsing the internet? My Core i7 930 (Nehalem) seems to work just fine for everything I do.

I can't remember, but does the Ivy Bridge use Intel socket 2011 or 1155?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hey Kutt.

The first thing is that the OS will make use of the different cores and threads with regards to it's I/O and other interrupt handlers in the context of its execution environments (services, processes, etc).

The second thing is that some types of applications including game engines are becoming multi-threaded due to the necessity of becoming multi-threaded due to the resource requirements to run complex and resource intensive games.

The video card will always handle the graphics routines but a lot of stuff does have to be done by the CPU still and any chance of using multi-threaded frameworks where performance is increased will be coded in at some point.

Also you must understand that modern game engines use event driven frameworks for all the gameplay and even for the internal stuff inside EXE's and DLL's so having multiple threads is very natural in a gaming environment: the big key is the synchronization but you must remember that game engines are designed to not require total synchronization.

In network mode, the engines expect packets to be dropped and it's easier from a design point of view to run a single player game mode as a multiplayer mode with a few tweaks so that everything goes through the same pipeline as the multiplayer mode does and the multiplayer mode has to do deal with lack of guaranteed synchronicity between clients and the server.

For a lot of stuff, you probably don't need the extra cores but when it comes to really resource intensive applications like games, video editing, photo editing, music editing and production, animation and 3D modelling production and a host of other similar ones, then having multiple cores will be beneficial since a lot of the developers of these have this in mind from the start and code their applications to utilize these features.

Also things like computing engines will also be designed to take these into account which include things like MATLAB, Maple, Mathematica and so on.

in answer to your question, they already have released a 10 core 20 thread processor with support of upto 4tb quad channel ram and the socket type is LGA1567.

So theoretically you could create a machine using a X8QB6-F motherboard, 4xIntel E7-8870 cpu's giving you a theoretical speed of 224Ghz and 1tb of ddr3 ram running in quad channel, quad sli with two gtx690's, 2x800gb(1600gb total) 910 series intel ssd's in raid 0 or 5 (for speed of 4000mbps read 2000mbps write) or 8x 480gb(3840gb total) 520 series intel ssd's in raid 0 or 5 (for speed of 4400mbps read 4160mbps write)

There you go, a commercially available super computer.

now for the price.

Item___________________cost(ea)__subtotal
intel ssd x8______________$514_____$4,112
cpu x4_________________$4,616___$18,464
mobo__________________$2,325__________
g-skill ripjaws(16gb kit)______$98_____$6,272
graphics x2______________$1,185____$2,370
total____________________________$31,218

So if you have around 30 grand to spend on a computer be my guest haha.

and finally socket 2011 for ivy bridge i7's

Last edited:
Late next year a 6-8 core ivy bridge-e and 8 core AMD piledriver are expected to come on the market. AMD has been having trouble so it might be delayed, but piledriver is expected to finally produce competitive performance with sandy bridge. If so it could become an inexpensive alternative to ivy bridge-e. We'll just have to wait and see as always.

I can provide information and insights on the upcoming 8-core processors from AMD and Intel. The release date for these processors is not yet confirmed, but it is speculated that they will be commercially available in the near future. The compatibility of these processors will depend on the specific model and manufacturer. In general, they will likely use current sockets and chipsets, but some may require new ones.

The use of 8-core processors is mainly beneficial for tasks that require intensive and complex calculations, such as video editing, 3D rendering, and scientific simulations. These processors can also improve multitasking capabilities, allowing for smoother and faster performance when running multiple applications simultaneously. However, for everyday tasks such as gaming, photo viewing, and internet browsing, an 8-core processor may not be necessary.

The performance of an 8-core processor will also depend on the optimization of the software being used. While there may not be many PC games currently that can fully utilize all 8 cores, as technology and software continue to advance, we may see more applications and games that can take advantage of this processing power.

The Ivy Bridge processors from Intel use the LGA 1155 socket, while the LGA 2011 socket is used for their high-end processors. It is important to check the specifications of the processor and motherboard to ensure compatibility.

Overall, the need for an 8-core processor will depend on the specific tasks and applications being used. For everyday use, a Core i7 930 processor may be sufficient, but for more demanding tasks, upgrading to an 8-core processor may provide significant performance improvements.

1. What is an 8 core processor?

An 8 core processor is a central processing unit (CPU) that contains eight independent processing units, also known as cores, within a single physical chip. This allows the processor to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, resulting in faster and more efficient performance.

2. How does an 8 core processor differ from a single core processor?

An 8 core processor has eight individual processing units, while a single core processor only has one. This means that an 8 core processor can handle more tasks at once, resulting in better multitasking capabilities and faster performance.

3. What are the benefits of using an 8 core processor?

The main benefit of using an 8 core processor is improved performance. With more cores, the processor can handle more tasks simultaneously, leading to faster computation and better multitasking abilities. This is especially beneficial for tasks that require a lot of processing power, such as gaming, video editing, and scientific simulations.

4. Are all 8 core processors the same?

No, not all 8 core processors are the same. There are different types of 8 core processors, such as Intel's Core i7 and AMD's Ryzen 7, which have varying clock speeds, cache sizes, and other specifications. It's important to research and compare different models to determine which one best fits your needs.

5. Do I need an 8 core processor for my computer?

It depends on your specific needs and usage. If you primarily use your computer for basic tasks such as web browsing and word processing, an 8 core processor may not be necessary. However, if you frequently use your computer for demanding tasks like gaming or video editing, an 8 core processor can greatly improve performance and efficiency.