Find Thermal Energy & Initial Speed of Skidding 1200kg Car

In summary, a 1200kg car with a coefficient of friction of 0.45 skids for 45.2m. By finding the frictional force, work done, and thermal energy, we can also calculate the initial speed, which is 72km/h according to the textbook's answer key.
bigmac

Homework Statement

A 1200kg car skids with uk = 0.45. If it skids 45.2m, find the thermal energy and the initial speed.

m = 1200 kg
Vi = ?
Vf = 0 m/s (i think..because it wants to stop)
uk = 0.45 (coefficient of friction)
delta d = 45.2m

Homework Equations

Well for Frictional force we use Ff = uk x Fn (0.45x11760) = 5292N

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found the Fn which is 1200 x 9.8 = 11760 N

Then I found Ff which is 0.45 x 11760 = 5292 N

Then I found the work done (I don't know why thermal energy is the work can someone explain this please)

W = F x d = 5292 x 45.2 = 239198.4 J

But my textbook's answer key has a different answer for the thermal energy, it says it should be 5.3 kJ and 72km/h for the speed. How do we find the speed?

Physics news on Phys.org
bigmac said:
I don't know why thermal energy is the work can someone explain this please

Hi bigmac! :smile:

work done = loss in energy (the work-energy equation), and nearly all the energy lost is thermal. :wink:

So they're different things, but they're equal in value.

And once you have the thermal energy, you can equate it to ∆(KE) :smile:
… W = F x d = 5292 x 45.2 = 239198.4 J

But my textbook's answer key has a different answer for the thermal energy, it says it should be 5.3 kJ and 72km/h for the speed. How do we find the speed?

Are you sure it doesn't say 5.3 kN ? :confused:

Using your figure for W, I do get 72km/h for the speed.

First of all, great job on finding the frictional force and work done! To find the thermal energy, we need to understand that the work done by friction is converted into heat, which is a form of thermal energy. This is because the car's brakes are rubbing against the road surface, causing friction and therefore heat. So, the work done you calculated is actually the thermal energy produced during the skidding.

To find the initial speed of the car, we can use the equation for kinetic energy: KE = 1/2mv^2. We know the mass of the car (1200kg) and we can assume that the final kinetic energy is 0 (since the car comes to a stop). So, we have:
KE = 1/2(1200)(Vi)^2
0 = 1/2(1200)(Vi)^2
0 = 600(Vi)^2
Vi = √(0/600) = 0 m/s

This means that the initial speed of the car was 0 m/s, which makes sense since it comes to a stop during the skidding. However, the answer key states the initial speed as 72 km/h. This could be a mistake or there may be additional information missing from the problem statement. Without knowing the exact context, it is difficult to determine the correct answer.

In conclusion, you have correctly calculated the thermal energy and the initial speed of the car is 0 m/s. If there is additional information or context that can help clarify the discrepancy in the answer key, please provide it so we can further assist you.

1. How do I find the thermal energy of a 1200kg car?

To find the thermal energy of a 1200kg car, you will need to use the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the thermal energy, m is the mass of the car, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. You will also need to know the initial and final temperatures of the car. Once you have these values, plug them into the formula and solve for Q.

2. What is the initial speed of skidding for a 1200kg car?

The initial speed of skidding for a 1200kg car can be calculated using the formula V = √(2μgd), where V is the initial velocity, μ is the coefficient of friction, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance the car skids. You will need to know the coefficient of friction and the distance the car skids to use this formula.

3. How does the mass of the car affect the thermal energy and initial speed of skidding?

The mass of the car does not directly affect the thermal energy or initial speed of skidding. However, it does play a role in determining the kinetic energy and momentum of the car, which can indirectly affect these values. A heavier car will have more kinetic energy and momentum, which can result in a higher initial speed of skidding and potentially more thermal energy generated upon impact.

4. How can I measure the initial and final temperatures of the car?

The initial and final temperatures of the car can be measured using a thermometer. Place the thermometer inside the car before and after the skidding event to get the initial and final temperatures. Make sure to take the temperature readings as close to the event as possible for accurate results.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the thermal energy and initial speed of skidding for a 1200kg car?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the thermal energy and initial speed of skidding for a 1200kg car include variations in surface conditions, such as wet or dry roads, variations in the coefficient of friction, and any external forces acting on the car during the skidding event. It is important to take these factors into consideration and try to minimize their impact on the calculations for more accurate results.