How Does Angular Velocity Affect the Ball's Position on a Basketball Hoop?

• Thread starter Vrbic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary: I don't want still look to theoretical books I would like to apply what I read (but it is possible that something I forgot or missed). Or what is your suggestion?
Vrbic

Homework Statement

A basketball player threw a ball with radius ##a## in such way that it rolls (without slipping) on a hoop of a basket with radius ##R##. Let's define an angle ##\theta## as a angle between a plane of basket and line between the point of touch of the ball and the hoop and the center of the ball. What is the dependence between ##\theta## and angular velocity of rolling ##\omega##?

Homework Equations

##F_g=mg##
##F_{od}=mv^2/r##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have some solution, but I don't know if it is right. I suppose there should be some balance between gravitational and centrifugal torque. It means I need to have same forces values of forces in incline coordinate system. I mean that x-axis will be aligned with line of indicating the angle ##\theta## and y-axis will be perpendicular to it. And origin in the center of the ball. Than I need to have projection of both forces to y-axis has to be same magnitude but opposite direction.
From that I have ##\sin{\theta}F_{od}=\cos{\theta}F_g## and result should be
##\omega=\sqrt{\cot{\theta}g/R }##
What do you mean about this solution?
I'm a bit suprised that I need not to know a radius of the ball.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vrbic said:

Homework Statement

A basketball player threw a ball with radius ##a## in such way that it rolls (without slipping) on a hoop of a basket with radius ##R##. Let's define an angle ##\theta## as a angle between a plane of basket and line between the point of touch of the ball and the hoop and the center of the ball. What is the dependence between ##\theta## and angular velocity of rolling ##\omega##?

Homework Equations

##F_g=mg##
##F_{od}=mv^2/r##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have some solution, but I don't know if it is right. I suppose there should be some balance between gravitational and centrifugal torque. It means I need to have same forces values of forces in incline coordinate system. I mean that x-axis will be aligned with line of indicating the angle ##\theta## and y-axis will be perpendicular to it. And origin in the center of the ball. Than I need to have projection of both forces to y-axis has to be same magnitude but opposite direction.
From that I have ##\sin{\theta}F_{od}=\cos{\theta}F_g## and result should be
##\omega=\sqrt{\cot{\theta}g/R }##
What do you mean about this solution?
I'm a bit suprised that I need not to know a radius of the ball.

What is the radius of the circluar motion?

PeroK said:
There are a couple of other issues.
ω Is the angular velocity of rolling, not its angular velocity around the hoop.
I strongly suspect we are supposed to take into account the gyroscopic effect. This means the net torque will not be zero.

PeroK said:
Ah...I see. The radius is affected by the inclination of the ball. And I have to correct it by ##a \sin{\theta}##. Do you agree?

haruspex said:
There are a couple of other issues.
ω Is the angular velocity of rolling, not its angular velocity around the hoop.
Ok. That is also right and I can correct it by changing left hand side of solution by ##a\omega/R##. Do you agree?

haruspex said:
I strongly suspect we are supposed to take into account the gyroscopic effect. This means the net torque will not be zero.
In this case, I don't know what exactly do you mean or what and why should I do. Can you give me more hint?

Vrbic said:
In this case, I don't know what exactly do you mean or what and why should I do. Can you give me more hint?
Have you been studying angular momentum?

PeroK said:
Have you been studying angular momentum?
Yes, I know that such effects exist, but I'm not much familiar with them. I don't have much intuition in this. So far...

Vrbic said:
Yes, I know that such effects exist, but I'm not much familiar with them. I don't have much intuition in this. So far...
This will be quite a complex problem, as you have the changing angular momentum of the rotating ball to take into account.

You might want to revise what you've learned about angular momentum before you tackle this.

PeroK said:
This will be quite a complex problem, as you have the changing angular momentum of the rotating ball to take into account.
Why do you expect that angular momentum is changing? I believe that it is idealized case and the ball is rolling without friction and ##\theta## is also constant.

PeroK said:
You might want to revise what you've learned about angular momentum before you tackle this.
I hoped that if I resolve such problem, I learn more about these things :) Should I use another concept? Try to construct Lagrangian and from it find equations of motion and from them look for my solution?
I don't want still look to theoretical books I would like to apply what I read (but it is possible that something I forgot or missed). Or what is your suggestion?

Vrbic said:
Why do you expect that angular momentum is changing? I believe that it is idealized case and the ball is rolling without friction and ##\theta## is also constant.
The spin angular momentum of the ball is changing direction as it moves round the hoop. You need to learn about this before you can tackle this problem.

PeroK said:
The spin angular momentum of the ball is changing direction as it moves round the hoop. You need to learn about this before you can tackle this problem.
Ok, and will you suggest me some good literature for this problem?

Vrbic said:
Ok, and will you suggest me some good literature for this problem?
I've got the Kleppner and Kolenkow text on classical mechanics, which is very good, I think.

You may be able to find this one topic of spin AM of a rigid body covered online somewhere.

Vrbic said:
idealized case and the ball is rolling without friction and θθ\theta is also constant.
Theta is constant, but there will be friction.

We already met the equation you need in the other thread. The component of "net" torque normal to the angular momentum is the product of the angular momentum and the precession rate. I put net in quotes because (I think this is right) you can treat the centrifugal pseudoforce as applying a torque, so the torque causing the precession is the resultant of gravity and centrifugal. (Do I have that right, PeroK?)

The rate of precession must be such that the ball endlessly repeats the same cycle. That allows you to relate it to ω and the radii.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
To be honest, I'm not familiar with this particular problem, but it will have the "millstone" effect, where there is an additional force needed to cause the change in spin angular momentum.

@Vrbic how a millstone works is that the changing angular momentum of the stone increases the force with which it grinds the corn. The circular motion gives you more than the weight of the stone that you would get if the stone simply rolled backwards and forwards.

Likes Vrbic

1. What is the purpose of a ball on a basket hoop?

The purpose of a ball on a basket hoop is to score points in the game of basketball. The ball is thrown through the hoop, which earns the team points and brings them closer to winning the game.

2. How high off the ground is a basket hoop?

The standard height of a basket hoop is 10 feet (3.05 meters) above the ground. This height is used in all levels of basketball, from youth leagues to professional leagues.

3. What is the regulation size of a basketball for a basket hoop?

The regulation size of a basketball for a basket hoop is 29.5 inches (75 cm) in circumference. This size is used for both men's and women's basketball games.

4. How does a ball stay on a basket hoop?

A ball stays on a basket hoop through a combination of gravity and the rim of the hoop. When the ball is thrown through the hoop, it falls back down towards the ground due to gravity, and the rim of the hoop prevents it from falling through completely.

5. Can a ball on a basket hoop be moved?

Yes, a ball on a basket hoop can be moved. In basketball, players often try to steal the ball from their opponents or block shots, which involves moving the ball from its original position on the basket hoop.