A bit of confusion regarding instructions

In summary: You are correct, if the Frobenius multiplicity is greater than 1, then the second solution will have a logarithmic term. Thanks for pointing this out.In summary, the problem asks for general solutions on the interval (0,infinity). The method of Frobenius is not required, and solutions will have the form ΣCnX^(n+r). If the singular point at x=0 is not included in the domain of the solution, regular power series solutions will be used. However, if the singular point is included, then the method of Frobenius must be used to get two linearly independent solutions.
MidgetDwarf
Mentor note: moved the thread to the homework forum

So I was given a few problems to take home, to complete by the professor. My question is not regarding how to solve the problems but rather, if I understand the instructions.

We are given the following instructions.

Find the general solutions on (0,infinity) of
2(x^2)y''-x(x-1)y'-y=o.

I believe, since the problem is asking me to find solutions on the interval (0,infinity), we do not need to worry about the regular singular point at x=0 (power series expansion does not exist at x=0). So my solutions will be in the form
of power series. Method of Frobenius is not required ( solutions will have the form ΣCnX^(n+r)). Regular power series solutions is what the problem is asking me correct?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump. any help?

No typos ? Tried to cheat using WolframAlpha ?

Yes, since the only singular point, x= 0, is not in the domain, you do not need to use Frobenius.

Likes MidgetDwarf
MidgetDwarf said:
So I was given a few problems to take home, to complete by the professor. My question is not regarding how to solve the problems but rather, if I understand the instructions.

We are given the following instructions.

Find the general solutions on (0,infinity) of
2(x^2)y''-x(x-1)y'-y=o.

I believe, since the problem is asking me to find solutions on the interval (0,infinity), we do not need to worry about the regular singular point at x=0 (power series expansion does not exist at x=0). So my solutions will be in the form
of power series. Method of Frobenius is not required ( solutions will have the form ΣCnX^(n+r)). Regular power series solutions is what the problem is asking me correct?

Thanks.

No, the Method of Frobenius is the correct method. Restriction to [itex](0, \infty)[/itex] guarantees that [itex]x^{n+r}[/itex] will actually be real, whatever [itex]r[/itex] is.

Likes MidgetDwarf
So I'm definitely overthinking this simple problem. The problem says to find general solutions on (0, infinity). (multiple problems/thats where the find general solutions came from). Since I am not including x=0 (i think), I can ignore the singular point and solve using regular power series solutions. If I do it this way, I get one solution. If i use Method of Frobenius, I get 2 solutions that are linearly independent. I'm basically teaching myself :/.

I know that x=0, a singular point. However, I was reading my differential book, Zill: A first course in differential, p. 254/example 3.

The DE given is:

2xy'' + (1+x)y' + y = 0. They list no interval where we have to find solution.

On the bottom of the page, this is what is listed.

The series converges for x≥0; as given, the series is not defined for negative values of x because of the presence of x^1/2. For r2=0, a second solution is...

Now this is the part that made me question myself.

On the interval (0,infinity) the general solution is y=C1y1(x) + C2y2(x).

For this example, the author used Method of Frobenius. If i used regular power series, 1 solution disappears.

From this, can I make the assumption that I have to use Method of Frobenius, when I need solutions on the interval (0, infinity)?

Thanks for everyone that replied.

Also, I encountered something that was different in every other problem I did so far. This is a separate problem.

When I have a singular point, and i am told to find the solution at this point, in this case the singular point happens at x=0. For my Indicial Equation, I get r=0, with multiplicity 2.
This is the only r I get. I know that by the Frobenius Theorem, I am guaranteed atleast 1 solution. However, the r=0 with multiplicity 2. Does this follow the same idea of the Cauchy Euler Differential Equations, when the roots of the auxiliary equations are equal?

Do i just multiply my first answer by a logarithm?

MidgetDwarf said:
I believe, since the problem is asking me to find solutions on the interval (0,infinity), we do not need to worry about the regular singular point at x=0 (power series expansion does not exist at x=0). So my solutions will be in the form of power series. Method of Frobenius is not required ( solutions will have the form ΣCnX^(n+r)). Regular power series solutions is what the problem is asking me correct?
While x=0 may not be in the domain of the solution, you're expressing the solution as a series expanded about x=0, a regular singular point, so you need to use the method of Frobenius.

Likes MidgetDwarf
vela said:
While x=0 may not be in the domain of the solution, you're expressing the solution as a series expanded about x=0, a regular singular point, so you need to use the method of Frobenius.

Thanks Vela, I consulted the ODE book by Coddington. It was exactly what you were talking about.

I also found something very interesting. When using the method of Frobenious, if we get an r that has multiplicity greater than 1, then our second solution will have a logarithmic term. It is in the style of solving a Cauchy-Euler ODE with repeated roots.

Really exciting how such a simple problem, can make you learn so much.

Likes BvU

What is causing the confusion in the instructions?

The confusion in the instructions could be caused by unclear or conflicting information, missing steps, or technical jargon that is difficult to understand.

How can I clarify the instructions?

You can clarify the instructions by asking for clarification from the person who wrote them, consulting with a colleague or mentor, or conducting additional research on the topic.

What should I do if I am still confused after reading the instructions?

If you are still confused after reading the instructions, you should reach out to the person who wrote them for clarification or seek help from a colleague or mentor. It is important to fully understand the instructions before proceeding with the task.

Can I make assumptions about the instructions?

No, it is important to follow the instructions exactly as they are written and not make assumptions. Making assumptions can lead to mistakes or errors in the task.

How can I prevent confusion in the instructions in the future?

To prevent confusion in the instructions in the future, it is important to carefully review and proofread them before distributing them. It can also be helpful to have someone else review the instructions for clarity and accuracy.