1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A bit of confusion regarding instructions

1. Nov 6, 2015 #1
    Mentor note: moved the thread to the homework forum

So I was given a few problems to take home, to complete by the professor. My question is not regarding how to solve the problems but rather, if I understand the instructions.

We are given the following instructions.

Find the general solutions on (0,infinity) of
    2(x^2)y''-x(x-1)y'-y=o.

I believe, since the problem is asking me to find solutions on the interval (0,infinity), we do not need to worry about the regular singular point at x=0 (power series expansion does not exist at x=0). So my solutions will be in the form
    of power series. Method of Frobenius is not required ( solutions will have the form ΣCnX^(n+r)). Regular power series solutions is what the problem is asking me correct?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2015 #2
    bump. any help?

4. Nov 8, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No typos ? Tried to cheat using WolframAlpha ?

5. Nov 8, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, since the only singular point, x= 0, is not in the domain, you do not need to use Frobenius.

6. Nov 8, 2015 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

No, the Method of Frobenius is the correct method. Restriction to [itex](0, \infty)[/itex] guarantees that [itex]x^{n+r}[/itex] will actually be real, whatever [itex]r[/itex] is.

7. Nov 8, 2015 #6
    So I'm definitely overthinking this simple problem. The problem says to find general solutions on (0, infinity). (multiple problems/thats where the find general solutions came from). Since I am not including x=0 (i think), I can ignore the singular point and solve using regular power series solutions. If I do it this way, I get one solution. If i use Method of Frobenius, I get 2 solutions that are linearly independent. I'm basically teaching myself :/.

I know that x=0, a singular point. However, I was reading my differential book, Zill: A first course in differential, p. 254/example 3.

The DE given is:

2xy'' + (1+x)y' + y = 0. They list no interval where we have to find solution.

On the bottom of the page, this is what is listed.

The series converges for x≥0; as given, the series is not defined for negative values of x because of the presence of x^1/2. For r2=0, a second solution is....

Now this is the part that made me question myself.

On the interval (0,infinity) the general solution is y=C1y1(x) + C2y2(x).

For this example, the author used Method of Frobenius. If i used regular power series, 1 solution disappears.

From this, can I make the assumption that I have to use Method of Frobenius, when I need solutions on the interval (0, infinity)?

Thanks for everyone that replied.

8. Nov 8, 2015 #7
    Also, I encountered something that was different in every other problem I did so far. This is a separate problem.

When I have a singular point, and i am told to find the solution at this point, in this case the singular point happens at x=0. For my Indicial Equation, I get r=0, with multiplicity 2.
    This is the only r I get. I know that by the Frobenius Theorem, I am guaranteed atleast 1 solution. However, the r=0 with multiplicity 2. Does this follow the same idea of the Cauchy Euler Differential Equations, when the roots of the auxiliary equations are equal?

Do i just multiply my first answer by a logarithm?

9. Nov 8, 2015 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

While x=0 may not be in the domain of the solution, you're expressing the solution as a series expanded about x=0, a regular singular point, so you need to use the method of Frobenius.

10. Nov 8, 2015 #9
    Thanks Vela, I consulted the ODE book by Coddington. It was exactly what you were talking about.

I also found something very interesting. When using the method of Frobenious, if we get an r that has multiplicity greater than 1, then our second solution will have a logarithmic term. It is in the style of solving a Cauchy-Euler ODE with repeated roots.

Really exciting how such a simple problem, can make you learn so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted