A block on a frictionless circular ramp

In summary, the problem deals with a block with a mass of 5kg moving down a frictionless circular ramp with an initial velocity of 2m/s at position A. It then encounters a rough, flat surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.25 at positions B and C, before reaching position D where it compresses an uncompressed spring with a spring constant of 1250N/m. The goal is to use conservation of energy to calculate the block's velocity and distance traveled at each position. The equations to be used are provided, but the specifics of solving them are not given. The height or length of the ramp is unknown and needs to be calculated.
killthelights1
1. The problem statement, ramp. variables and given/known data
A block with mass m=5kg is placed at position A and given an initial velocity Va=2m/s Down a frictionless circular ramp. Between positions B and C it travels over a flat rough surface having a coefficient of kinetic friction Mk=.25. Finally it travels over a flat frictionless surface and contacts am uncompressed so spring with spring constant k=1250N/m. The block comresses the spring at distance Delta (X) and comes to rest at position D.

Homework Equations

A) beginning at position A use conservation of energy to calculate the blocks velocity when it reaches position B

B) begimning at position B use conservation of energy to calculate the block's velocity when it reaches position C . Don't forget friction!

C) beginning at position C use conservation of energy to calculate the distance Delta(X) that the spring is compressed when the block reaches position D

D) starting over at position A use conservation of energy directly between positions A and D and show that you get the same distance Delta(X) as part c) without having to calculate the velocities at position B and C

3.Please I'm super lost and have tried everything can someone solve and show me?!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
how tall (or long with angle) is the ramp?
CoE:
A)[itex]\frac{1}{2} mv_{initial}^2 +mg\Delta h = \frac{1}{2} mv_{final}^2[/itex] where h is either given or = [itex]dsin(\theta)[/itex]
B) do the same thing, but include friction as part of the work term [itex]W = mg\Delta h - \mu N\Delta x[/itex]
C) again, do the same thing, I'm assuming flat means level? so
[itex]\frac{1}{2}mv_{InitialAfterC}^2 = \frac{1}{2}k\Delta x^2[/itex] W=0, no friction, and mg sin theta = 0, so all kinetic energy goes into compressing the spring (potential)
i'm not crunching the numbers for you, but that should work, give it a shot.

Last edited:
Ramp is 3m!

Can you please since it I have no ideas how to change the formula to get velocity final

what do you mean? i gave you the equation. plug in 1/2, plug in m, plug in initial velocity. that gives you the first term, which is a number. then plug in m, plug in g, plug in h. that gives you the second term which is a number. then plug in 1/2, plug in m, and keep v final ^2 which gives you some number times v final^2.

you get some number = some number times v final^2 . plug it into your calulator, its a 16 =4x^2 type equation, and I'm confident you can solve it. once you get v final for A), use that for v inital for B) and so on.

this forum is for homework help not for us to give you the answers, which i pretty much did already.

I tried I got stuck help me :(

1. What is a block on a frictionless circular ramp?

A block on a frictionless circular ramp is a common physics problem that involves a block or object moving in a circular motion on a ramp with no friction. The block is usually acted upon by gravity and centripetal force, and the goal is to determine the block's speed, acceleration, or other related quantities.

2. What is the significance of a frictionless circular ramp in physics?

A frictionless circular ramp is a simplified scenario used in physics to study the fundamental principles of circular motion. It allows for the isolation of specific variables, such as friction, so that the effects of other forces can be accurately measured and understood.

3. How do you calculate the speed of a block on a frictionless circular ramp?

The speed of a block on a frictionless circular ramp can be calculated using the equation v = √(rg), where v is the speed, r is the radius of the ramp, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes that the block is moving in a circular path with a constant speed and does not take into account any external forces.

4. Is a block on a frictionless circular ramp a realistic scenario?

No, a block on a frictionless circular ramp is not a realistic scenario as there will always be some amount of friction present in real-world situations. However, it is a useful concept in physics for understanding the principles of circular motion and can be applied to more complex scenarios with friction present.

5. How does the angle of the ramp affect a block's motion on a frictionless circular ramp?

The angle of the ramp affects a block's motion on a frictionless circular ramp by changing the magnitude of the centripetal force acting on the block. The steeper the ramp, the greater the centripetal force required to keep the block in circular motion, resulting in a higher speed. This relationship can be described by the equation v = √(rgcosθ), where θ is the angle of the ramp.