How can I evaluate the Bose-Einstein integral for black body radiation?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for evaluating the value of the integral J= \int_{0}^{∞} \frac{x^{3}}{e^{x}-1}dx and suggests using Taylor series and series expansion techniques. One method involves splitting the integral into two parts, while another method uses the formulation of the Dirichlet eta function. The final result is J= \frac{\pi^4}{15}. There are some concerns about the approximation and errors at certain points.
ChrisVer
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am trying to evuluate the value of the integral:
[itex] J= \int_{0}^{∞} \frac{x^{3}}{e^{x}-1}dx[/itex]

Could you please supply me with the method used for that? I thought of breaking the integral from 0 to 1 and from 1 to infinity. That way I could expand the exponential to taylor series for the small values of x, while the second would drop the 1 from the denominator, so it would be like exp[-x]x^3...(am I correct in the idea?).. However with that idea I'm left with a singularity at point 0. Would that mean I need to expand to Laurent series?
(it's not "really" homework, I am just playing around with black body radiation and radiation energy density to show that p[rad]~T^4 which we were given in class).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There should be no singularity at x=0, as the numerator goes to 0 faster than the denominator. I don't see how you get exp[-x]x^3.

Hmm Let me write it in formula:
[itex] \int_{0}^{∞} \frac{x^3}{e^{x}-1} dx= \int_{0}^{1} \frac{x^3}{e^{x}-1} dx+\int_{1}^{∞} \frac{x^3}{e^{x}-1} dx[/itex]
so here I'm saying that the first integrand has a singular point at x=0 because the denominator vanishes... Of course you are right about it going slower to 0 for the nominator (I got confused by thinking that exp is a faster function that any power but I lost it hehe). In fact I would expand the exponential to taylor series:
[itex] e^{x} ≈1+x[/itex] and solve to get
[itex]\int_{0}^{1} \frac{x^3}{x}dx= \frac{x^{3}}{3}|^{1}_{0}=1/3[/itex]
then I would try to say that the 2nd integrand, for x>1 the denominator is dominated by the exponential rather than the "-1" term... Or in other words I would write:
[itex]\int_{1}^{∞} \frac{x^3}{e^{x}-1} dx =\int_{1}^{∞} \frac{x^3}{e^{x}} dx=\int_{1}^{∞} e^{-x}x^3 dx[/itex]

Unfortunately I don't think that this approach can give me the correct result, since the correct result needs π factors... probably numerically I might be close to the correct answer, since I guess it is a game of approximations I use, against a strict result (?)

Last edited:
ChrisVer said:

Homework Statement

Could you please supply me with the method used for that? I thought of breaking the integral from 0 to 1 and from 1 to infinity. That way I could expand the exponential to taylor series for the small values of x, while the second would drop the 1 from the denominator, so it would be like exp[-x]x^3...(am I correct in the idea?).. However with that idea I'm left with a singularity at point 0. Would that mean I need to expand to Laurent series?
(it's not "really" homework, I am just playing around with black body radiation and radiation energy density to show that p[rad]~T^4 which we were given in class).

Write
[tex] f(x) = \frac{x^3}{e^x-1} = x^3 e^{-x} \frac{1}{1 - e^{-x}}
= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} x^3 e^{-nx} [/tex]
Integrate term-by-term. You will get an infinite series with a known sum.

Likes 1 person
ChrisVer said:

Homework Statement

You do have the right idea about using the taylor series but splitting the integral won't be a very good idea.

$$J=\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^3}{e^x-1}=\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^3e^{-x}}{1-e^{-x}}\,dx$$

Now, from the following series expansion,
$$\frac{1}{1-x}=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} x^k\,\,\,\,\,\, (|x|<1)$$
we can write:
$$\frac{1}{1-e^{-x}}=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} e^{-kx}$$
Hence,
$$J=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \int_0^{\infty} x^3e^{-(k+1)x}\,dx$$

Using integration by parts, you can eliminate ##x^3##. I hope this helps.

Likes Sunnyocean and ChrisVer
I think I found another method which doesn't involve the use of series expansions.

Rewrite:
$$J=\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^3}{e^x-1}\,dx=\frac{1}{2}\left(\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^3}{e^{x/2}-1}\,dx-\frac{x^3}{e^{x/2}+1}\,dx\right)=\frac{1}{2}\left(I_1-I_2\right)$$

Proceeding with ##I_1## first, use the substitution ##x/2=t## to get:
$$I_1=\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^3}{e^{x/2}-1}\,dx=16\int_0^{\infty} \frac{t^3}{e^t-1}\,dt=16J$$
With ##I_2##, use the same substitution to get:
$$I_2=\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^3}{e^{x/2}+1}\,dx=16\int_0^{\infty} \frac{t^3}{e^t+1}\,dt$$
From the formulation of dirichilet eta function,
$$\eta(s)=\frac{1}{\Gamma(s)}\int_0^{\infty} \frac{t^{s-1}}{e^t+1}\,dt$$
$$\Rightarrow \eta(4)=\frac{1}{\Gamma(4)}\int_0^{\infty} \frac{t^3}{e^t+1}\,dt$$
$$\Rightarrow \int_0^{\infty} \frac{t^3}{e^t+1}\,dt =\eta(4)\Gamma(4)$$
Hence,
$$I_2=16\eta(4)\Gamma(4)$$
Therefore,
$$J=\frac{1}{2}\left(16J-16\eta(4)\Gamma(4)\right) \Rightarrow J=\frac{8}{7}\eta(4)\Gamma(4)$$
Since ##\eta(4)=7\pi^4/720## and ##\Gamma(4)=3!##, the final result is:
$$\boxed{J=\dfrac{\pi^4}{15}}$$

Likes Pham The Song, SammyS and ChrisVer
both, thanks for the answers.
Pranav, Could you also check Post #3? and give me your "complains"?
One complain I would state for that is the arbitrariness of the function as going from 0 to 1 (I mean exponential would need more powers to be closer to the needed one, like 2nd or 3rd order), the errors at that points ([itex]1^{-}[/itex]) would be over 100%...

ChrisVer said:
both, thanks for the answers.
Pranav, Could you also check Post #3? and give me your "complains"?
One complain I would state for that is the arbitrariness of the function as going from 0 to 1 (I mean exponential would need more powers to be closer to the needed one, like 2nd or 3rd order), the errors at that points ([itex]1^{-}[/itex]) would be over 100%...

I am not sure if I can help with that. I can solve the integrals but I am not very good at doing approximations. I hope someone else can help with that.

nevermind, thanks anyway Shino kun, and the 2nd way was really nice :)

ChrisVer said:
nevermind, thanks anyway Shino kun, and the 2nd way was really nice :)

Glad to help! :)

Well my approximation yields:
[itex]\frac{1}{3}+\frac{16}{e} \approx 6.219401 [/itex]
While the correct answer is:
[itex]\frac{\pi^{4}}{15} \approx 6.4939394[/itex]
So the error coming from the approximation is ~4.2%, so I guess it's not that bad...

What is a Bose-Einstein integral?

A Bose-Einstein integral is a mathematical formula used to describe the distribution of particles in a quantum system. It is named after Indian physicist Satyendra Nath Bose and German-American physicist Albert Einstein.

How is a Bose-Einstein integral derived?

The Bose-Einstein integral is derived from the Bose-Einstein statistics, which describe the behavior of identical particles with integer spin, such as photons, bosons, and certain types of atoms. It is derived using statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics principles.

What is the significance of the Bose-Einstein integral in physics?

The Bose-Einstein integral plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems. It helps explain phenomena such as Bose-Einstein condensation, which occurs when a large number of bosons occupy the same quantum state. This integral is also used in various fields such as solid-state physics, cosmology, and astrophysics.

What are the limitations of the Bose-Einstein integral?

While the Bose-Einstein integral has been successfully applied in various fields of physics, it does have some limitations. It does not accurately describe the behavior of particles with non-integer spin, such as fermions. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of gravity, which are significant in large-scale systems.

Are there any real-world applications of the Bose-Einstein integral?

Yes, the Bose-Einstein integral has many practical applications, such as in the development of lasers, superfluids, and superconductors. It also has applications in the study of ultracold atoms and in the field of quantum computing.