1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A challenge for professionals

1. Nov 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

metal rod 30cm long expands by 0.075cm when its temp. is raised from 0C to 100C. A rod of diff. metal of the same length expands by 0.045cm for the same rise in temp. A third rod, also 30cm long is made up of pices of each of the above metals placed end-to-end expands 0.065cm between 0C to 100C.

What is the length of EACH composite bar.

3. The attempt at a solution

deltaL=initial L x coefficient of thermal expansion.

That formula was the similar from some of my friends. I tried it but still i found it out complicated. Thanks in advance to those who helped. God bless
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The coefficient of thermal expansion is what fraction of it's original length a material expands for each 1deg change in temperature.
    You can find this value for materials A and B from the numbers you are given.

Your equation isn't quiet correct, it should be: deltaL=initial L x coefficient of thermal expansion x CHANGE IN TEMPERATURE
  4. Nov 25, 2008 #3
    please state your help in equation with explanations. I was able to find the answer but not sure. in my computation the answer 20. I just need a justification in this answer.

5. Nov 25, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This site is to teach people how to answer science questions and help them when they go wrong - we don't just supply answers.
    I suggest you post your calculations of the coeff for the two materials.
    Then we will explain how to do part 2.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?