Composite Bar Length Calculation

• Thread starter eduardalcazar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Challenge
In summary, a 30cm metal rod expands by 0.075cm when its temperature is raised from 0C to 100C, while a rod of a different metal of the same length expands by 0.045cm for the same temperature change. When pieces of these two metals are placed end-to-end to create a third rod, also 30cm long, it expands by 0.065cm between 0C and 100C. To find the length of each composite bar, the change in length can be calculated using the formula deltaL=initial L x coefficient of thermal expansion x CHANGE IN TEMPERATURE. The coefficient of thermal expansion can be found using the given measurements, and the change in temperature is
eduardalcazar

Homework Statement

metal rod 30cm long expands by 0.075cm when its temp. is raised from 0C to 100C. A rod of diff. metal of the same length expands by 0.045cm for the same rise in temp. A third rod, also 30cm long is made up of pices of each of the above metals placed end-to-end expands 0.065cm between 0C to 100C.

What is the length of EACH composite bar.

The Attempt at a Solution

deltaL=initial L x coefficient of thermal expansion.

That formula was the similar from some of my friends. I tried it but still i found it out complicated. Thanks in advance to those who helped. God bless

Physics news on Phys.org
The coefficient of thermal expansion is what fraction of it's original length a material expands for each 1deg change in temperature.
You can find this value for materials A and B from the numbers you are given.

Your equation isn't quiet correct, it should be: deltaL=initial L x coefficient of thermal expansion x CHANGE IN TEMPERATURE

please state your help in equation with explanations. I was able to find the answer but not sure. in my computation the answer 20. I just need a justification in this answer.

Thanks..

This site is to teach people how to answer science questions and help them when they go wrong - we don't just supply answers.
I suggest you post your calculations of the coeff for the two materials.
Then we will explain how to do part 2.

1. What is the purpose of "A challenge for professionals"?

The purpose of "A challenge for professionals" is to provide a platform for professionals to showcase their skills, knowledge, and expertise in their respective fields. It also aims to encourage collaboration and innovation among professionals.

2. Who can participate in "A challenge for professionals"?

Any professional in any field can participate in "A challenge for professionals". This includes scientists, engineers, doctors, lawyers, artists, and many more.

3. How are winners selected in "A challenge for professionals"?

Winners in "A challenge for professionals" are selected based on their performance and achievements in the challenge. This can include factors such as creativity, problem-solving skills, and impact of their work.

4. Is there a fee to participate in "A challenge for professionals"?

No, there is no fee to participate in "A challenge for professionals". It is a free and open competition for professionals to showcase their talents.

5. Can teams participate in "A challenge for professionals"?

Yes, teams can participate in "A challenge for professionals". However, all team members must be professionals in their respective fields and must meet the eligibility criteria for the challenge.