A charge inside a non conducting spherical shell uniformly charged

In summary, the charge within a charged spherical shell does not feel any force from the charges of the shell. This is due to the cancellation of the shell's charges at the point where the inside charge is located.
tmn50
This problem is driving me mad
suppose that we have a positive charge inside a non conducting spherical shell uniformly charged
the charge is at a random place inside the shell but not in the center
the textbook says the charge will feel no force from the charges of the shell and the argument is based on gauss law when there's no charge inside the shell
this is true but when we put the charge inside everything changes
if we apply gauss law
we choose a gaussian surface that has the same center as the shell with a radius that's big enought to contain only the emptiness before the charges of the shell (if we can say that)
so there will be an electric field that will act on the charges
so either the charge moves or the shell moves
this is what i could conclude
please tell me where did i go wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
I apologize for not following the pattern cause this isn't really a problem just a case that was mentioned in the lecture and i didn't understand

tmn50 said:
This problem is driving me mad
suppose that we have a positive charge inside a non conducting spherical shell uniformly charged
the charge is at a random place inside the shell but not in the center
the textbook says the charge will feel no force from the charges of the shell and the argument is based on gauss law when there's no charge inside the shell
this is true but when we put the charge inside everything changes
if we apply gauss law
we choose a gaussian surface that has the same center as the shell with a radius that's big enought to contain only the emptiness before the charges of the shell (if we can say that)
so there will be an electric field that will act on the charges
so either the charge moves or the shell moves
this is what i could conclude
please tell me where did i go wrong

I'm confused as to what the situation is.

If there is only 1 charge inside the charged shell, the force on that point charge is zero, since the shell charges' effects cancel each other at the inside charge no matter where that charge is located. This is what your problem seems to state.

What you say after that I can't follow. If you assume two (or more) charges within the charged shell then those inside charges will attract or repel each other but still none of those inside charges will be affected by the charged shell.

It's no different than the fact that a uniformly dense spherical shell does not generate a gravitational force inside the shell. The shell simply does not exist as far as masses inside the shell are concerned. And it's exactly the same situation with the charges, since electrostatic and gravitational forces both vary inversely as the square of the distance.

1. What is the electric field inside a non conducting spherical shell uniformly charged?

The electric field inside a non conducting spherical shell uniformly charged is zero. This is because the charges on the surface of the shell cancel out the electric field inside.

2. How does the electric field change if a point charge is placed inside the non conducting spherical shell?

The electric field inside the non conducting spherical shell remains zero. The charges on the surface of the shell redistribute to cancel out the electric field created by the point charge.

3. What is the electric potential inside a non conducting spherical shell uniformly charged?

The electric potential inside a non conducting spherical shell uniformly charged is constant. This is because the electric potential is proportional to the electric field, which is zero inside the shell.

4. Can the electric field inside a non conducting spherical shell be non-zero?

No, the electric field inside a non conducting spherical shell cannot be non-zero. This is a result of the electric charges on the surface of the shell redistributing to cancel out the electric field inside.

5. How does the electric field inside a non conducting spherical shell compare to that of a conducting spherical shell?

The electric field inside a non conducting spherical shell is zero, while the electric field inside a conducting spherical shell is non-zero. This is because the charges on the surface of a conducting shell redistribute to create a non-zero electric field inside.