A conducting loop around a magnetic field

In summary, a conducting loop around a magnetic field contains two light bulbs. The wires connecting the bulbs are ideal and the magnetic field is increasing rapidly. Initially, there was confusion about whether the bulbs would glow due to the changing magnetic field. However, it was confirmed that the bulbs would indeed light up because the magnetic flux through the loop of wire was changing, causing an induced current. It was also assumed that the bulbs would have equal brightness, as there was no mention of one having more resistance than the other.
Xaspire88
A conducting loop around a magnetic field contains two light bulbs. as shown int the figure. The wires connecting the bulbs are ideal. The magnetic field is increasing rapidly.

A. Do the bulbs glow? why or why not?
B. If they glow, which bulb is brighter? or are they equally bright? explain.

at first i thought that they would glow because the B-field was changing. but then i though yes it is changing in strength but not in position relative to the loop. So then that led me to believe that there would be no induced current and the bulbs would not glow. Just trying to confirm if I'm correct or not. Thank you

link to the diagram <http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/9750/conductingloopzc9.jpg>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Xaspire88 said:
at first i thought that they would glow because the B-field was changing. but then i though yes it is changing in strength but not in position relative to the loop.

Is the magnetic flux through the loop of wire with the bulbs changing? If so, then a current goes through that wire...

So even though the field is not changing position relative to the wire there is still an induced current.. hm well the flux is changing.. it is increasing as the magnetic field increases. so yes the bulbs would light up(because of what you have said) and i would assume that they would be of the same brightness. Nothing says whether or not one has more resistance than the other.

Xaspire88 said:
So even though the field is not changing position relative to the wire there is still an induced current.. hm well the flux is changing.. it is increasing as the magnetic field increases. so yes the bulbs would light up(because of what you have said) and i would assume that they would be of the same brightness. Nothing says whether or not one has more resistance than the other.

yeah, I agree. seems to me like the bulbs light up and they have the same brightness.

What is a conducting loop?

A conducting loop is a closed circuit made of a conducting material, such as metal, that allows for the flow of electricity. It can be in various shapes, such as circular or rectangular, and is often used in electrical circuits and devices.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force field generated by moving electric charges. It is represented by magnetic field lines and has both direction and strength. Magnets and electric currents create magnetic fields, which can interact with each other.

How does a conducting loop interact with a magnetic field?

When a conducting loop is placed within a magnetic field, the magnetic field induces an electric current in the loop. The direction of the current is determined by the direction of the magnetic field and the orientation of the loop. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction.

What are some applications of a conducting loop around a magnetic field?

Conducting loops around magnetic fields are used in various devices, such as generators, motors, and transformers, to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy and vice versa. They are also used in magnetic levitation systems, where the repelling force between a magnet and a conducting loop is utilized for levitation.

How can the strength of the induced current in a conducting loop be increased?

The strength of the induced current in a conducting loop can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic field, increasing the speed at which the loop moves through the field, or increasing the number of loops in the circuit. Additionally, using a more conductive material for the loop can also increase the induced current.