Solving Basic Physics Problems: A Dive off a 200m Cliff in Mexico

• Thread starter highcontrast
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student taking an introductory physics course and seeking assistance with a homework problem involving a diver jumping off a cliff. The student provides their attempted solutions to the problem and asks for help understanding the horizontal and vertical components of the diver's velocity as he enters the water. Another person responds by explaining how to find these components using trigonometry and the kinetic equations for projectile motion. They also provide a correction for a small error in the student's calculation.
highcontrast
I am taking an introductry physics course at the moment. I feel I have a grasp on the concepts. I was just wondering if anyone would care to check my work, and ensure I have the right answers.

Thanks

Homework Statement

4. A diver in mexico drives off the top edge of a cliff 200m above, with a speed of 3m/s horiztonally. A) how long will it be before he hits the water below? b) where is the horiztonal distance from the foot of the cliff to the point where he enters the water? c) what are the horiztonal and vertical components of the divers velocity just as he enters the water?

All questions use 10m/s/s for gravitational accleration, except for #3, which uses 9.8m/s

Homework Equations

As stated in attempts.

The Attempt at a Solution

4 a) t^2 = d / 1/2A = 200 / 5 = 40 = root = 6.32S
b) 3m/s X 6.2s = 18.6M
c) I am not exactly sure what are the horizontal and vertical components, could anyone care to explain? i know triangles must be used. but I am having a difficult time understanding exactly what the question is asking for.. an angle? a speed? a distance?

Thank you again

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check everything, I'm on my way to bed. However on problem 2 part b they are asking for the distance at 3 seconds. In your equations you plugged in 4 seconds. An easy fix. Everything in part 1 is fine.

Haven't checked 3 or 4.

I have fixed the error, and confirmed that my answers are right for the other questions. However, I am still struggling with the horiztonal and vertical components question.

on part b, you used 6.2 secs even though you calculated 6.32... why not use 6.32? or at least 6.3? Its erroneous to round down so far.

If I remember right all of your questions have had either horizontal or vertical initial velocities. Let's take for instance the case that we did not have such a convenient velocity. Instead the vector of velocity is "theta" degrees above the horizontal. Given this initial velocity and the angle, using trigonometry we can find the "x & y components" of that velocity. (See my sloppy picture I attached.)

These components of velocity is what we plug into our kinetic equations within projectile motion.

Now on to finding your components of velocity. The x component of velocity in this case is very easy to find. Since there is no acceleration in the x direction... the final velocity in the x component is equal to your initial (3 m/s).

Now plugging in your y components we can can find your y component of final velocity this is probably found most easily with the equation [tex]v^{2} = v_{0}^{2} + 2a(x-x_{0})[/tex]

This gives us [tex] v=\sqrt{2*g*(200m)} [/tex]
since your initial velocity in the y component is zero.

Hope I explained this enough, let me know if there's any more questions.

Also I just realized I used the terms "x & y" components when your question used horizontal and vertical. Hopefully this doesn't cause any confusion.

Attachments

• velocity.jpg
    velocity.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 354

Related to Solving Basic Physics Problems: A Dive off a 200m Cliff in Mexico

1. What are "A few simple problems"?

"A few simple problems" refers to a set of basic scientific problems that are often used as examples to demonstrate key concepts and principles in various fields of study.

2. Why are these problems considered simple?

These problems are considered simple because they can be easily understood and solved with basic scientific knowledge and techniques.

3. What are some examples of "A few simple problems"?

Examples of "A few simple problems" include the pendulum problem in physics, the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium problem in biology, and the ideal gas law problem in chemistry.

4. How are these problems useful to scientists?

These problems are useful to scientists as they provide a starting point for understanding more complex scientific phenomena and can be used to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

5. Can these problems be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, these problems can be applied to real-world situations as they are often based on real-life scenarios and can help scientists make predictions and solve practical problems.