Calculating Tension in a Horizontal Rope | Car A Towing Car B

• Thread starter harmeet_angel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, for a car A towing a car B with the same mass and a four-wheel drive, with a static coefficient of friction of 1.00, and ignoring any friction force on car B, the tension in the horizontal rope connecting the cars can be calculated by finding the net force on car B, which is 1000 N due to the acceleration of 1m/s/s. This means that the tension in the rope is also 1000 N. Some irrelevant information was given, but it was correctly ignored in solving the problem.
harmeet_angel
1. Homework Statement

Car A is towing car B. Both cars have the same mass ma = mb = 1000 kg. Car A has four-wheel drive, and the static coefficient of friction between its tires and the road is µs = 1.00 Neglect any friction force acting on car B. Car A is accelerating at 1m/s/s. Calculate the tension in the horizontal rope connecting the cars.

2. Homework Equations :
F = ma
and Friction = W. coefficient of friction

3. The Attempt at a Solution

So, First I found the net force that is being applied on the car B, that equals to 1000 x 1 = 1000 N. And so Tension = 1000 N

I am wondering if this is correct? I am confused since I have ignored many other given information

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct.

I am confused since I have ignored many other given information
As you get better at solving physics problems, you can gauge your skills based how easily you can identify exactly what information you need to get the answer. This skill makes labs and experiments much easier, because you know from the start precisely what you need to finish.

In this case, that means realizing that much of the given information is irrelevant to the problem.

Before you fall into the trap of "but I didn't use this bit of information!" remember that a right answer is a right answer, regardless of how much other material the problem throws at you.

First of all Weight x coeff. Friction, is right, but the weight ain't 1000Kg ! it's mass x gravity remember ?? Btw if you draw a Free Body Diagram for your system u'll realize that u really misused the information given to you, for example not all the force exerted by car A is going to the rope and to car B, some of it is lost, u know where?. Draw a F.B.D and suddenly you'll see what i mean.

eaboujaoudeh said:
First of all Weight x coeff. Friction, is right, but the weight ain't 1000Kg ! it's mass x gravity remember ?? Btw if you draw a Free Body Diagram for your system u'll realize that u really misused the information given to you, for example not all the force exerted by car A is going to the rope and to car B, some of it is lost, u know where?. Draw a F.B.D and suddenly you'll see what i mean.
Nonsense! harmeet_angel has solved the problem correctly and used the given information properly. For the specific question asked--finding the tension in the tow rope--and the information given, the friction force exerted on car A is irrelevant.

By the way, [itex]\mu N = \mu mg[/itex] gives the maximum value of static friction. If you were asked to find the amount of static friction pulling car A, you would not just plug the numbers into that formula. Instead, you would need to analyze the forces on car A and apply Newton's 2nd law--just like the OP did for car B.

ok wait i didn't pay attention that the acceleration is the force pulling after friction has been taken into account.sorry my bad

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate or change its motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What are the different types of forces?

There are four fundamental forces in nature: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong, and weak. Other types of forces include friction, tension, and normal force.

3. How is force measured?

Force is measured in Newtons (N) using a spring balance or a force meter. One Newton is equal to the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram by one meter per second squared.

4. What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal but opposite force on the first object.

5. How does force affect motion?

Force is directly related to an object's acceleration. The greater the force applied, the greater the acceleration. Additionally, the direction of the force determines the direction of the acceleration.