A generic quantum state and the charge of an electron

In summary, the professor is discussing generic quantum states, represented by the notation |\psi>. He explains that this state can represent anything and gives examples such as the polarization and path of a photon, and the spin of an electron. However, he also mentions that the charge of an electron can be represented by this generic state. This concept may be confusing as the charge of an electron is always a fixed value, but the professor suggests that a superposition of states could be used to represent it. It is unclear how this would look, as the charge of an electron is typically a whole number and cannot be fractional.
eprparadox
I'm watching a lecture and the professor is talking about generic quantum states as

[tex] |\psi> [/tex]

He's making the point that this state is very generic. It can represent anything. He references some examples like the polarization of a photon and the path of a photon and the spin of an electron. Those (I think) make sense to me as quantum states.

But then he says that the "charge on an electron" could be represented by this generic state, ## |\psi> ##.

This example I didn't understand. How could talking about the charge of an electron by itself by represented by ## |\psi> ##. For one, what would a superposition of states look like in this case? The charge can't be fractional or be 2e or 3e. It's just e. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write exactly what he says, word for word, in context?

Likes Dale
eprparadox said:
I'm watching a lecture
Can you post a link?

I'd rather he post the text than "here's an hour long video and somewhere in it he says this".

1. What is a generic quantum state?

A generic quantum state refers to the state of a quantum system that is described by a superposition of all possible states. This means that the state is not defined until it is measured, and it can exist in multiple states simultaneously until it is observed.

2. How is the charge of an electron related to quantum states?

The charge of an electron is a fundamental property of the particle, and it is a part of its quantum state. The charge of an electron can be either positive or negative, and it is an important factor in determining the behavior of the electron in a quantum system.

3. Can the charge of an electron be changed?

No, the charge of an electron is a constant value that cannot be changed. This is a fundamental property of the electron and is a result of its interactions with other particles in the quantum world.

4. How is the charge of an electron measured?

The charge of an electron can be measured using various techniques, including the Millikan oil drop experiment and the electron gun experiment. These experiments use the properties of electric and magnetic fields to determine the charge of an electron.

5. What is the significance of the charge of an electron in quantum mechanics?

The charge of an electron plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics, as it influences the behavior of the electron in a quantum system. It is also a determining factor in the interactions between particles and is essential in understanding the properties and behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic level.