A hard differential equation - where is the error in my logic?

In summary, the conversation discusses a hard differential equation with the attempt to solve it using various methods. The OP receives help from other users and realizes their mistake. The conversation also briefly mentions the topic of Bernoulli equations.
Nikitin
[SOLVED] A hard differential equation - where is the error in my logic?

Homework Statement

2xyy' + y2, where y is a function of x

The Attempt at a Solution

2xyy' + y2 = 12x2 |*(1/x)
=> (y2)' + y2/x =12x |*ln(x), 2yy' = (y2)'
=> (y2ln(x))' = 12x*ln(x)
=> y2ln(x) = ∫12x*ln(x)
=> y2ln(x) = 6x2ln(x) -3x2 + C
=> y = ±sqrt[3x2(2-1/ln(x)) + c/ln(x)]

Well, my result is wrong. Can somebody tell me the error in my logic? HELP, my math exam is on the 4th of June...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nikitin said:

What is that on the R.H.S. with the vertical bar, etc? Your problem isn't clear.Assuming that your original ODE is: ##2xyy'+y^2=12x^2##
Re-arranging gives: [itex]y'+\frac{1}{2x}y=6xy^{-1}[/itex]. You get a Bernoulli equation.

Last edited:
Nikitin said:

Homework Statement

=> y2ln(x) = ∫12x*ln(x)

Well, my result is wrong. Can somebody tell me the error in my logic? HELP, my math exam is on the 4th of June...

(y^2)'*ln(X)+(y^2/x)*ln(x)=/=(y^2*ln(x))'
I believe

Oh crap, I'm such an idiot! thanks, TT. In addition, I found out how to solve this, so forget about this thread guys!

sharks: I have no idea what a bernoulli equation is, sorry. I haven't even started uni yet.

Nikitin said:

Homework Statement

=> y2ln(x) = ∫12x*ln(x)

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}(x y^2) = 2 x y y' + y^2.[/tex]

RGV

Nikitin said:
I have no idea what a bernoulli equation is

Then just find out!

1. What is a hard differential equation?

A hard differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves the derivatives of an unknown function. These equations are typically difficult to solve and require advanced mathematical techniques.

2. Why are hard differential equations important?

Hard differential equations have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and understand complex systems and phenomena.

3. What makes a differential equation hard?

A differential equation can be classified as hard if it cannot be solved using standard techniques or if it requires advanced mathematical concepts. These equations often involve non-linear functions or multiple variables, making them challenging to solve.

4. What are some strategies for solving hard differential equations?

Some strategies for solving hard differential equations include using numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods, or using transformation techniques, such as Laplace transforms or Fourier transforms. It is also important to have a strong understanding of calculus and differential equations to approach these problems.

5. Where is the error in my logic when solving a hard differential equation?

The error in solving a hard differential equation could come from a variety of sources, such as a mistake in the initial conditions, an error in the calculations, or an incorrect assumption about the equation. It is important to double-check all steps and assumptions when solving these types of equations.