1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A kinematics problem

1. Apr 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Displacement of a particle moving in a straight line is
    s= 6 + 12t - 2t^2
    find the distance traveled till t=5.

2. Relevant equations

firstly i am having confusion in correctly interpreting the equation. The equation gives us the displacement in 't' th second.(correct?)
    if i put t=0 in the eq i get s=0....now what does that mean? the particle is at x=6 at t=0?

at t=6.5 s=0 and before that s always comes out to be positive
    as the particle is moving in straight line we can just add up the displacements till t=5 to get distance covered till t=5

3. The attempt at a solution

but how to add up displacments. the equation gives the displacement in t th sec.
    like if i put t=5 in the equation i get s=16 but this is the displacement in 5th second only..i need the displacements in all time b/w 0 to 5 seconds
    i also referred to the solution provided in the book which goes as follows:
    ds/dt = v= 12-4t
    ( now i dont agree ds/dt would be the velocity...plz explain)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I suspect that by "displacement" they mean "distance from the origin". Then the equation

s= 6 + 12t - 2t^2

would in fact be the position of the particle with respect to time, and ds/dt would indeed be its velocity.

4. Apr 4, 2012 #3
    assuming that the answer comes correct.....thanks.......but i want to kill the author....it discourages if one cant solve a prob even after studying deeply :((

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook