1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A lame Laplace transform

1. May 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2y'' + y' + 4y = ∂(t-π/6)sin(t); y(0)=0, y'(0)=1/2.

2. Relevant equations

Dunno

3. The attempt at a solution

The left side of the equation is what's tripping me up. There's nothing on my Elementary Laplace Transforms table that has the Dirac delta function multiplied by another function, or sin(at) multiplied by another function f(t). So what should I do?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2010 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

You mean the right side? The delta functions makes it very easy actually. Consider the value of the integral when [itex]t \neq \pi/6[/itex]. Now consider [itex]t = \pi/6[/itex].

4. May 20, 2010 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I think you meant the right-hand side. Anyway, just plug the RHS into the definition of the Laplace transform and evaluate the integral. The delta function makes it easy to do.

5. May 20, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One of the properties of the Dirac delta is that for any sufficiently smooth function [itex]f[/itex], [itex]\int f(x)\delta(x-a)dx=f(a)[/itex] if the integration interval includes the point [itex]x=a[/itex], and the integral is zero otherwise. Use that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook