Struggling with a Limit Question? Find a Solution with This Step-By-Step Guide!

• Thread starter life is maths
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Stuck
In summary, the user is asking for help with finding the limit of a function involving cosine and sine as x approaches 0. They suggest using L'Hospital's rule or derivatives, but are reminded that these methods are not allowed. Another user suggests factoring the function and using the limit of a trigonometric function. The original user then asks about the limit of cosine multiplied by another function and the second user confirms their approach. The summary also mentions the use of the Squeeze Theorem to solve the problem.
life is maths

Homework Statement

Hi, my question is
lim[itex]_{x\rightarrow0}[/itex]x2[itex]\frac{cos(cot(x))}{sinx}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought maybe I could make [itex]\frac{cos(cot(x))}{sinx}[/itex] similar to [itex]\frac{sinx}{x}[/itex], but couldn't find a proper way for it. Dividing sinx by cosx and multiplying does not take me anywhere, neither does trying to manipulate cotx. Is there something I need to see but cannot see?
L'Hospital and derivatives are not valid solutions since we haven't learned them yet.Could you please help me find a way? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It will help if you factor the function's expression first to break this into limits you do know how to work with:

[tex]( \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{x}{\sin x} ) \cdot ( \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} x \cos (\cot x) ) [/tex]

For the second limit, you will need to consider how cotangent behaves and what the cosine of that value is if it were treated as an angle. (Plot cos(cot x) to check on this.) As x approaches zero, it behaves in a crazy way, but one which you may have seen before. What happens when you multiply that by x ? What limit method do you know for dealing with something like that?

Thanks a lot dynamicsolo.

The first part of the limit goes to 1, right? As for lim[itex]_{x\rightarrow0}[/itex](cos(cot(x)), since cosx is always between -1 and 1, and since x goes to zero, when I multiply them, I get 0. Is it true?

^Yes that is true.

life is maths said:
Thanks a lot dynamicsolo.

The first part of the limit goes to 1, right? As for lim[itex]_{x\rightarrow0}[/itex](cos(cot(x)), since cosx is always between -1 and 1, and since x goes to zero, when I multiply them, I get 0. Is it true?

Yes, you get to use a trigonometric limit and the "Squeeze Theorem" in the same problem!

1. What is a "limit question" in scientific terms?

A limit question refers to a mathematical concept in calculus where the value of a function is approached as the input variable approaches a specific value. In simpler terms, it is a way to find the value of a function at a certain point by looking at its behavior around that point.

2. Why do scientists struggle with limit questions?

Limit questions can be tricky because they require a combination of algebraic manipulation and understanding of mathematical concepts, such as limits and continuity. They also often involve complex equations and multiple steps, making them challenging to solve.

3. How can this step-by-step guide help with solving limit questions?

This step-by-step guide provides a structured approach to solving limit questions, breaking down the process into smaller, more manageable steps. It also includes explanations and examples to help with understanding the concepts behind limit questions.

4. Are there any specific strategies or techniques for solving limit questions?

Yes, there are several strategies and techniques that can be helpful in solving limit questions. These include using algebraic manipulation, substitution, and L'Hopital's rule. The step-by-step guide also discusses these techniques in detail.

5. Can beginners or non-mathematicians benefit from this guide?

Absolutely! This guide is designed to be accessible to all levels of mathematicians, including beginners and non-mathematicians. It provides clear explanations and examples to help anyone understand and solve limit questions.