A little bit of history about cells

In summary, stem cells, also known as "cellules souches" in French, were first discovered in 1968 with the successful use of bone marrow transplant for the treatment of SCID. In 1981, mouse embryonic stem cells were first isolated, and in 1998, human embryonic stem cells were first characterized. The term "stem cells" was coined by Gail Martin, a developmental biologist, in 1981 during her studies on mouse cells.
Vanity
Hey Everyone :)

I'm trying to find out the year on which ~stocks cells~ has been discovered? I'm really not sure about the english word... but in french we call them "cellules souches". I've search a bit on google but couldn't find anything.

Edit: Okay I found the correct english word, they are call Stem Cells. :tongue2:

Thanks!
- Alex

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Monique said:
In 1968 the first bone marrow transplant was successfulling used for the treatment of SCID. In 1981 mouse embryonic stem cells were first isolated, in 1998 human embryonic stem cells were first characterized.
Hope this may help. It was posted by Monique for a previous thread.

Bone marrow may be described as somatic stem cells. The person who first coined the term http://www.ucsf.edu/research/stem_cells.html was Gail Martin, a developmental biologist at Univ of Cal - San Francisco, she co-discivered them in cell mouse studies in 1981.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Alex!

Cells have been studied and observed for centuries, dating back to the 17th century when Robert Hooke first observed and named the "cells" in cork. However, the concept of stem cells, or "cellules souches" in French, was not discovered until much later. In 1868, German biologist Ernst Haeckel first proposed the idea of stem cells during his research on embryonic development. It wasn't until the mid-20th century that scientists began to understand and study stem cells more closely, leading to groundbreaking research and advancements in the field. So while the term "stem cells" may be relatively new, the concept has been around for over 150 years. I hope this helps!

1. What is a cell?

A cell is the basic unit of structure and function in all living organisms. It is the smallest unit of life and is responsible for carrying out all the processes necessary for an organism to survive.

2. When were cells first discovered?

Cells were first discovered in 1665 by English scientist Robert Hooke, who used a microscope to observe thin slices of cork and noticed tiny empty chambers, which he called "cells."

3. How are cells structured?

Cells are typically composed of a cell membrane, cytoplasm, and genetic material (DNA or RNA). In addition, some cells may also contain organelles, such as mitochondria, nucleus, and ribosomes, which have specialized functions.

4. What are the different types of cells?

There are two main types of cells: prokaryotic and eukaryotic. Prokaryotic cells, such as bacteria, are simple and do not have a defined nucleus. Eukaryotic cells, on the other hand, have a defined nucleus and are found in all other living organisms, including plants, animals, and fungi.

5. How do cells reproduce?

Cells can reproduce through a process called cell division. In this process, a single cell divides into two daughter cells, each with identical genetic material. This is how organisms grow and repair damaged tissue.