Solving Physics Question: Frequency & Period, Time to Reach 8A

• Thread starter salvatorecaine
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a practical and slightly advanced physics question regarding a sinusoidal current represented by the equation i = 10sin 942.5tamperes. The participants are discussing how to determine the frequency and period of the waveform, as well as the time taken for the current to reach a specific value. They also mention the topic of alternating currents and suggest determining the parameters given in the equation to find the answers.
salvatorecaine
Here is a practical but slightly advanced physics question. i just need some help solving it.Well here goes

The instantaneous value, i, of a sinusoidal current may be
represented by the equation

i = 10sin 942.5tamperes

(a) Determine the frequency and the period of the waveform.

(b) Determine the time taken from t = 0 for the current to reach a value of 8 amperes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show us what you have done?

Do you know the standard form for a sin function?

I haven't started working on it, i was hoping someone could give me a hand.
If its any help it under the Topic Alternating Currents.

salvatorecaine said:
I haven't started working on it, i was hoping someone could give me a hand.
If its any help it under the Topic Alternating Currents.

You should determine what the parameters given in
i = 10sin 942.5tamperes
stand for. Then you can easily find the answers you are looking for.

1. What is frequency and period in physics?

Frequency refers to the number of occurrences of a repeating event per unit of time. In physics, it is often measured in Hertz (Hz). Period, on the other hand, is the time it takes for one complete cycle of a repeating event. It is usually measured in seconds (s).

2. How do you calculate frequency and period?

Frequency can be calculated by dividing the number of cycles by the total time it took to complete those cycles. Period can be calculated by dividing the total time by the number of cycles. Both frequency and period can also be calculated using the equation f=1/T, where f is frequency and T is period.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and period?

The relationship between frequency and period can be described as inverse. This means that as frequency increases, period decreases, and vice versa. This relationship can be seen in the equation f=1/T, where an increase in frequency leads to a decrease in period and vice versa.

4. How do you convert frequency to period?

To convert frequency to period, you can use the formula T=1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency. For example, if the frequency is 8 Hz, the period would be 1/8 seconds, or 0.125 seconds.

5. How long does it take for a wave with a frequency of 8 Hz to complete 8 cycles?

To solve this question, we can use the equation T=1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency. Since we want to find the time it takes for 8 cycles, we can simply plug in 8 for f to get T=1/8 seconds. Therefore, it would take 1/8 seconds for a wave with a frequency of 8 Hz to complete 8 cycles.