1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A monatomic gas in a 2d Universe - multiplicity

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a monatomic ideal gas that lives in a two-dimensional universe (“flatland”), occupying an area A instead of a volume V.

By following the logic of the derivation for the three-dimensional case, show that the multiplicity of this gas can be written:

[tex] \Omega = \frac{1}{N!}\frac{A^N}{h^{2N}}\frac{\pi^N}{N!}(2MU)^N [/tex]

Find an expression for the entropy of this two-dimensional gas. Express your result in terms of U, A and N.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have practically finished part a, with one small exception. for the pi fraction, I have 2pi instead of pi???

Some of my working out:

The space multiplicity:

[tex] \Omega_{space} = (\frac{A}{(\Delta x)^2})^N [/tex]

The multiplicity of momentum:

[tex] \Omega_{mom} = (\frac{A_{hypercircle}}{(\Delta p_x)})^{2N} [/tex]

[tex] \Omega_{mom} = (\frac{A_{hypercircle} ^{2N}}{(\Delta p_x^{2N})}) [/tex]

The total multiplicity is the multiple:

[tex] \Omega = \Omega_{space}\Omega_{mom} [/tex]

[tex] \Omega = ((\frac{A}{(\Delta x)^2})^N )(\frac{A_{hypercircle} ^{2N}}{(\Delta p_x^{2N})} ) [/tex]

This can be rearranged, and using Heisenberg's Uncertainty princeple, [tex] \Delta x \Delta p_x \approx h [/tex]

this gives:
    [tex] \Omega = \frac{A^N A_{hypercircle}}{h^{2N}} [/tex]

For indistinguishable particles:

[tex] \Omega = \frac{1}{N!}\frac{A^N}{h^{2N}}A_{hypercircle} [/tex]

Area of hypercircle:

[tex] \frac{2\pi^N}{(N - 1)!}{\sqrt{2mu}^{2N-1}} [/tex]

and using approximations:

[tex] \Omega = \frac{1}{N!}\frac{A^N}{h^{2N}}\frac{2\pi^N}{N!}{2mu^N} [/tex]

As you can see, close, just that annoying 2...

Any ideas how to get rid of it???

Thanks in advanced,

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2

I have attached the entre workings out. any idewa how to get rid iof that pesky 2...?

Attached Files:

4. Oct 20, 2011 #3
    Sorry for 2 year late reply. You're probably graduated by now. But according to Schroeder's book, for part (a),

you can simply throw away the 2 because the multiplicity is very large compared to the 2, and thus it won't really make a difference. He then apologizes below for sloppy working. But... oh well that's what I just read.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?