Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A monatomic gas in a 2d Universe - multiplicity

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1

TFM

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a monatomic ideal gas that lives in a two-dimensional universe (“flatland”), occupying an area A instead of a volume V.

(a)

By following the logic of the derivation for the three-dimensional case, show that the multiplicity of this gas can be written:

[tex] \Omega = \frac{1}{N!}\frac{A^N}{h^{2N}}\frac{\pi^N}{N!}(2MU)^N [/tex]

(b)

Find an expression for the entropy of this two-dimensional gas. Express your result in terms of U, A and N.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I have practically finished part a, with one small exception. for the pi fraction, I have 2pi instead of pi???

Some of my working out:

The space multiplicity:

[tex] \Omega_{space} = (\frac{A}{(\Delta x)^2})^N [/tex]

The multiplicity of momentum:

[tex] \Omega_{mom} = (\frac{A_{hypercircle}}{(\Delta p_x)})^{2N} [/tex]

[tex] \Omega_{mom} = (\frac{A_{hypercircle} ^{2N}}{(\Delta p_x^{2N})}) [/tex]

The total multiplicity is the multiple:

[tex] \Omega = \Omega_{space}\Omega_{mom} [/tex]

[tex] \Omega = ((\frac{A}{(\Delta x)^2})^N )(\frac{A_{hypercircle} ^{2N}}{(\Delta p_x^{2N})} ) [/tex]

This can be rearranged, and using Heisenberg's Uncertainty princeple, [tex] \Delta x \Delta p_x \approx h [/tex]

this gives:
    [tex] \Omega = \frac{A^N A_{hypercircle}}{h^{2N}} [/tex]

For indistinguishable particles:

[tex] \Omega = \frac{1}{N!}\frac{A^N}{h^{2N}}A_{hypercircle} [/tex]

Area of hypercircle:

[tex] \frac{2\pi^N}{(N - 1)!}{\sqrt{2mu}^{2N-1}} [/tex]

and using approximations:

[tex] \Omega = \frac{1}{N!}\frac{A^N}{h^{2N}}\frac{2\pi^N}{N!}{2mu^N} [/tex]

As you can see, close, just that annoying 2...

Any ideas how to get rid of it???

Thanks in advanced,

TFM

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2

TFM

I have attached the entre workings out. any idewa how to get rid iof that pesky 2...?

TFM

Attached Files:

4. Oct 20, 2011 #3
    Sorry for 2 year late reply. You're probably graduated by now. But according to Schroeder's book, for part (a),

you can simply throw away the 2 because the multiplicity is very large compared to the 2, and thus it won't really make a difference. He then apologizes below for sloppy working. But... oh well that's what I just read.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook