How can I apply tensor to reality?

• Thread starter Will_C
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary, a physics graduate student from Hong Kong is excited to be able to share their thoughts on a global forum. They are struggling with understanding the application of tensors in reality and are seeking guidance. Other forum members suggest looking into examples such as the energy and momentum tensors and mention the use of tensors in general relativity and differential geometry.
Will_C
Hello all,
I am a physics graduate student, come from a small city of China, Hong Kong. This is my first post. And there is a little bit excited for me, because my thought can be shared with anyone around the world. This is a very nice forum for me and for the human. Thank you for the co-founder of the stie. Maybe I should stop my poor intro and return to the question.

I have read few materials about tensor: Quick Introduction to Tensor.pdf by R.A. Sharipov, Introduction to Tensor of Physics and Engineering.pdf by Joseph C. Kolecki and Vector Analysis by M.R. Spiegel. Also the chapters about tensor in few mathematical books.
But the problem for me is I don't know how to use tensor or how to apply tensor to the reality. I know the elementary operation of tensor, but it is more important for me to know the application.

Now I am like a monkey, is explained and introducted different parts of a car. Unfortunlately the monkey still don't know how to drive the car.
Is it the basic knowledge does not enough for me? Or the ability of monkey is not able to drive?
Would anyone can show me the way for summit of tensor?
Thank You!

Will.

We have no freedom, but we have choice. And I choose "NO WAR".

Physics news on Phys.org
Will, Have you read the other posts here on tensors? there seem to be some very useful stuff, including references to examples like the energy tensor and the momentum tensor.

Thanks mathwonk,
I do have read some of posts.
May I ask you that do you have any experience on formulating some of the physical natures into tensor? Or to build up a theory on tensor?
How do you start?

Will.
We have no freedom, but we have choice. And I choose "NO WAR".

Hi Will

Welcome to the forum. The most common place that I've found use of tensors is in general relativity and differential geometry.

Pete

1. What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object that describes the relationships between different sets of data. It is a multidimensional array that can store and manipulate large amounts of data efficiently.

2. How does a monkey learn tensor?

A monkey can learn tensor through training and reinforcement. By using a reward system, the monkey can learn to associate specific inputs and outputs and understand the relationships between them.

3. What are the real-world applications of a monkey learning tensor?

A monkey learning tensor can have various applications, such as in neuroscience research, where it can help understand the brain's complex neural connections. It can also be used in robotics and artificial intelligence to improve machine learning algorithms.

4. Can a monkey learn tensor without human intervention?

While monkeys possess high cognitive abilities, they cannot learn tensor without human intervention. They require training and guidance from humans to understand and use tensor effectively.

5. How is a monkey's ability to learn tensor different from a human's?

A monkey's ability to learn tensor is limited compared to that of a human. While they can understand and use tensor in specific tasks, they lack the higher cognitive abilities and abstract thinking that humans possess to apply tensor in more complex scenarios.