A natural log inequality with absolute value

Just one small correction: for part (d), the answer should be (-e^(2/3), 0) U (e^(2/3), inf) since the sign is positive for x > 0 and x > e^(2/3). Other than that, everything else looks correct. Great job! In summary, the expression F(x) = (8-12ln|x|)/(x^4) is defined for all values of x except 0, and is equal to 0 at x = e^(2/3) and x = -e^(2/3). The set of all real numbers x for which F(x) is defined and non-zero can be written as the union of the intervals (-
gabrooo

Homework Statement

F(x) = (8-12ln|x|)/(x^4) > 0

(a) For what values of x is the expression F(x) defined?
Write your answer in interval notation.

(b) At what value(s) of x is the expression F(x) equal to zero?
If there is more than one answer separate them by commas.

(c) The set of all real numbers x for which the expression
F(x) is defined and non-zero can be written as the union of several
mutually disjoint open intervals. Find this set and express
it as such union.

(d) By analyzing the sign of F(x) on the above open intervals,
solve the inequality expressing your answer in interval notation.

2. The attempt at a solution

now for (a), i guess since we have |x|, so the domain would be (-inf,0)U(0,inf)
for (b), i got ln|x| = 2/3 or |x| = e^(2/3) how to get rid of ||?
(c) .. no idea. and (d) is based on (c).

Please HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
About the point

[tex]
\ln |x| = \frac 2 3
[/tex]

The positive number whose logarithm is [tex] 2/3 [/tex] is

[tex]
e^{2/3}
[/tex]

As a hint to answering your question: this fact means that the [tex] x [/tex] values you seek solve

[tex]
|x| = e^{2/3}
[/tex]

To answer 'c', use the two numbers found above, together with [tex] x = 0 [/tex], to find the three intervals mentioned in part 'c'. Once you know the sign of [tex] F [/tex] at a single spot on each interval, it has that sign throughout, so you can answer the main question.

first of all thanks for ure help. i didnt get any examples involving ln|x| inequalities anywhere. if u can tell me whre to see such examples, tht wud be nice
anywys.. here's wht i did:

b)
so, if |x| = e^(2/3)
then x = e^(2/3), -e^(2/3)
these will be values which make F(x) = 0. right?

c)so my intervals for which F(x) is "defined and non-zero" wud be (-inf, -e^(2/3)) U (-e^(2/3), 0) U (0, e^(2/3)) U (e^(2/3), inf)

d) signs wud be - + + -
and i will choose + signs because F(x) > 0. so answer is (-e^(2/3), 0) U (0, e^(2/3))

it wud be nice if u can confirm it! :)
THANKS AGAIN!

Looks good.

1. What is a natural log inequality with absolute value?

A natural log inequality with absolute value is an equation involving a logarithmic function and an absolute value function. It typically takes the form of ln|x| < or > a, where a is a constant. This type of inequality is often used in calculus and applied mathematics.

2. How do I solve a natural log inequality with absolute value?

To solve a natural log inequality with absolute value, you first need to isolate the absolute value expression by using appropriate algebraic operations. Then, you can split the inequality into two separate inequalities, one with a positive value for the absolute value and one with a negative value. Finally, you can solve each inequality separately and combine the solutions to find the final solution set.

3. What is the domain of a natural log inequality with absolute value?

The domain of a natural log inequality with absolute value is all real numbers except for the values that make the argument inside the logarithm equal to zero. In other words, the domain is all real numbers except for x = 0.

4. What is the significance of the absolute value in a natural log inequality?

The absolute value in a natural log inequality is significant because it allows for both positive and negative values of the logarithm's argument to be considered. This is important because the logarithm function is not defined for negative values, so the absolute value ensures that all possible values are included in the solution set.

5. Can a natural log inequality with absolute value have multiple solutions?

Yes, a natural log inequality with absolute value can have multiple solutions. This is because the absolute value function can have different values for the same input depending on whether the input is positive or negative. So, when solving the inequality, both the positive and negative values of the absolute value must be considered, leading to multiple solutions.