Choosing a Laptop: Advice Needed ($1500 Budget)

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's search for a new laptop, with a budget of $1500. They are seeking advice, specifically about HP laptops which were recommended by a friend. However, the speaker's friend will be buying an IBM laptop for $1800, and they mention that HP laptops are not as good as IBM's. The speaker is advised to make sure the laptop has certain specifications such as a processor other than Celeron, DVD-RW, large monitor, and a durable battery. The conversation ends with a suggestion to consider an iBook or an Apple laptop, as the desired specifications will cost around $2200.
no name
i am thinking of buying a new laptop ...
and since i don't no much about computers ... i would like to have ur advice about the best laptops ( a friend recommended hp )... the budget is around $ 1500 ...
any advice would be highly appreciated ...
cheeeeeerz

Computer science news on Phys.org
umm?, i think my friend will buy ibm's, $1800
hp's is not so good as ibm's. hp's is bigger and heavyer.
Some friends of mine sometimes joke hp means hot pig.

$1500 are quite enough budget to buy a very good laptop. For that price, or somewhat less, make sure that the processor is not Celeron, but a Centrino, P4, or better an AMD 64bit. It should have a DVD-RW, HD > = 80GB, RAM >= 512 MB, Graphics Card >= 128MB, a pretty large monitor, should be pretty light, and last but not least a durable battery.

ramollari said:
$1500 are quite enough budget to buy a very good laptop. For that price, or somewhat less, make sure that the processor is not Celeron, but a Centrino, P4, or better an AMD 64bit. It should have a DVD-RW, HD > = 80GB, RAM >= 512 MB, Graphics Card >= 128MB, a pretty large monitor, should be pretty light, and last but not least a durable battery.
No, a notebook like what you describe will be around $2200.

You can get an iBook.

Definitely Apple.

1. What are the most important features to consider when choosing a laptop within a $1500 budget?

Some important features to consider when choosing a laptop within a $1500 budget include the processor speed, RAM, storage capacity, display resolution, and battery life. These factors will determine the overall performance and usability of the laptop.

2. Should I prioritize a higher RAM or a faster processor for my budget?

It depends on your specific needs. If you will be using your laptop for tasks that require a lot of multitasking or running multiple programs at once, it would be beneficial to prioritize a higher RAM. However, if you will be using your laptop for tasks that require a lot of processing power, such as video editing or gaming, a faster processor would be a better choice.

3. Is it worth investing in a touchscreen display within a $1500 budget?

This ultimately depends on your personal preference and how you plan to use your laptop. If you will be using your laptop primarily for work or school, a touchscreen display may not be necessary. However, if you will be using your laptop for creative tasks like graphic design or photo editing, a touchscreen display could be beneficial.

4. What is the ideal storage capacity for a laptop within a $1500 budget?

Again, this depends on your specific needs. For basic tasks like web browsing and document editing, a storage capacity of 256GB should suffice. However, if you will be storing large files or installing multiple programs, a storage capacity of 512GB or higher would be more suitable.

5. Are there any additional features or specs I should consider when choosing a laptop within a $1500 budget?

Some additional features to consider include the graphics card, keyboard and touchpad quality, and overall build quality. If you plan on using your laptop for gaming or graphic design, a dedicated graphics card would be beneficial. A high-quality keyboard and touchpad can also greatly impact the usability of a laptop. It is also important to ensure that the laptop is well-built and durable.