1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A petite observation about logarithms

1. Nov 15, 2005 #1
    Here's something cute:

Consider the graph of ln(x^2) and then consider the graph of 2ln(x), missing anything?

I was momentarily caught off guard by this until I realized that when we derive the property: ln(x^a)=aln(x), we choose the positive root.

Has anyone ever run into a situation where it was better to say that ln(x^2)=2ln|x| ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2005 #2
    Well, consider the case x < 0. Then ln(x^2) is real, but 2ln(x) has a non-zero imaginary part, so clearly they can't be equal.

4. Nov 15, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's a very good point.

Solving the equation ln(x^2)= 0 is NOT the same as solving 2ln(x)= 0 and, yes, it is better to write ln(x^2)= 2ln(|x|).

5. Nov 20, 2005 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

On most computers it is not better to write ln(x^2) instead of 2ln(|x|) in a computer program.

6. Nov 20, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm sorry, what does that have to do with my response? My point was NOT that it was better to write ln(x^2) rather than 2ln(|x|) but rather that it was better to write ln(x^2)= 2ln(|x|) rather than ln(x^2)= 2ln(x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?