A petite observation about logarithms

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation ln(x^2)=2ln(x) and the importance of choosing the positive root when using the property ln(x^a)=aln(x). It is also noted that it is better to write ln(x^2)=2ln(|x|) instead of ln(x^2)=2ln(x). The relevance to computer programming is also mentioned.
homology
Here's something cute:

Consider the graph of ln(x^2) and then consider the graph of 2ln(x), missing anything?

I was momentarily caught off guard by this until I realized that when we derive the property: ln(x^a)=aln(x), we choose the positive root.

Has anyone ever run into a situation where it was better to say that ln(x^2)=2ln|x| ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, consider the case x < 0. Then ln(x^2) is real, but 2ln(x) has a non-zero imaginary part, so clearly they can't be equal.

Yes, that's a very good point.

Solving the equation ln(x^2)= 0 is NOT the same as solving 2ln(x)= 0 and, yes, it is better to write ln(x^2)= 2ln(|x|).

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, that's a very good point.
Solving the equation ln(x^2)= 0 is NOT the same as solving 2ln(x)= 0 and, yes, it is better to write ln(x^2)= 2ln(|x|).

On most computers it is not better to write ln(x^2) instead of 2ln(|x|) in a computer program.

D H said:
On most computers it is not better to write ln(x^2) instead of 2ln(|x|) in a computer program.

I'm sorry, what does that have to do with my response? My point was NOT that it was better to write ln(x^2) rather than 2ln(|x|) but rather that it was better to write ln(x^2)= 2ln(|x|) rather than ln(x^2)= 2ln(x).

What are logarithms?

Logarithms are mathematical functions that are used to solve exponential equations. They tell us the power to which a base number must be raised to get a given number.

Why are logarithms useful?

Logarithms are useful because they allow us to simplify complex mathematical calculations. They also help us understand and analyze exponential growth and decay.

What is the base of a logarithm?

The base of a logarithm is the number that is raised to a power in order to get a given number. In the notation "logb(x)", b is the base.

How are logarithms related to exponents?

Logarithms and exponents are inverse functions of each other. This means that if we take the logarithm of a number, we can find the exponent that was used to generate that number, and vice versa.

What are some real-world applications of logarithms?

Logarithms are used in various fields such as finance, science, and engineering. They are used to solve exponential growth and decay problems, analyze data, and make predictions. They are also used in sound and earthquake measurement scales, as well as in pH and Richter scales.