A Problem with Lippmann-Schwinger Equation

• Thread starter Hyperreality
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding explicit solutions for the 'in' and 'out' state and the S-matrix using the Lippmann-Schwinger equation. The interaction is given by a separable form with a real coupling constant g and a set of complex quantities u_alpha satisfying a normalization condition. The conversation also mentions that there may be no solutions at the first order of g and that the speaker has solved the problem up to the second order. They are wondering if there are any non-approximate exact solutions and if anyone has done similar problems. Another participant in the conversation shares that they are facing a similar problem and have also found no contribution to the S-matrix at O(g). They are also curious about the existence of
Hyperreality
I am doing Problem 3.1 from Quantum Theory of Fields by Steven Weinberg regaring the Lippmann-Schwinger Equation. The problem states,

Given a separable interaction,

[tex]\langle \alpha_{0}|V|\beta_{0}\rangle=g u_{\alpha}u_{\beta}^{*}[/tex]

where [tex]g[/tex] is a real coupling constant, and [tex]u_{\alpha}[/tex] is a set of complex quantities with

[tex]\sum_{\alpha}|u_{\alpha}|^{2}=1[/tex]

Use the Lippmann-Schwinger equation to find explicit solutions for the 'in' and 'out' state and the S-matrix.

I believe I have solved this to the second order in [tex]g[/tex], but I'm not sure if it is correct since there are no solutions. What I found puzzling is that my S-matrix has 0 contribution for the first order [tex]g[/tex]. Is this suppose to happen? I do not want to show the working since it is too much mathematics. I am just wondering if there are anyone who has done similar problems.

Any comment is appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hyperreality said:
I believe I have solved this to the second order in [tex]g[/tex], but I'm not sure if it is correct since there are no solutions. What I found puzzling is that my S-matrix has 0 contribution for the first order [tex]g[/tex]. Is this suppose to happen? I do not want to show the working since it is too much mathematics. I am just wondering if there are anyone who has done similar problems.

Any comment is appreciated!
I am facing a similar problem too. I solved it up to 2nd order, and there was no contribution to the S-matrix at [tex]O(g)[/tex] Also, I was wondering if there are non-approximate exact solutions. Did you find anything else?

Related to A Problem with Lippmann-Schwinger Equation

What is the Lippmann-Schwinger equation?

The Lippmann-Schwinger equation is a mathematical equation used in quantum mechanics to describe the scattering of particles off of a potential. It allows for the calculation of the scattering amplitude, which gives information about the probability of a particle being scattered at a certain angle.

What is the problem with the Lippmann-Schwinger equation?

The main problem with the Lippmann-Schwinger equation is that it is an integral equation, meaning it can be difficult to solve analytically. This can lead to complicated and time-consuming calculations, especially for more complex systems.

What methods are used to solve the Lippmann-Schwinger equation?

There are several methods used to solve the Lippmann-Schwinger equation, including perturbation theory, numerical methods, and variational methods. Each method has its strengths and weaknesses, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem being studied.

How does the Lippmann-Schwinger equation relate to other equations in quantum mechanics?

The Lippmann-Schwinger equation is closely related to other equations in quantum mechanics, such as the Schrödinger equation and the Green's function equation. In fact, the Lippmann-Schwinger equation can be derived from these other equations, making it an important tool in understanding scattering processes.

What are some applications of the Lippmann-Schwinger equation?

The Lippmann-Schwinger equation has a wide range of applications in physics, including nuclear physics, solid state physics, and quantum chemistry. It is used to study the scattering of particles in various systems, and has been successful in predicting experimental results in many cases.