Should I Use College Physics for Self-Studying: Algebra or Calculus Based?

In summary, Davez said that he is tempted to start calculus alongside the book he is currently using, but he is unsure if he can edit it to fit the style of calculus problems. He also said that he is not disagreeing with the importance of pre-calculus, but he is using the book now because it was free. Van said that pre-calculus is important, but that calculus is better for more precision.
InebriatedScientist
Hi, my name is "Bob" I have a particular question about a specific book.

Preface...
It has been a while since I formally studied Physics. The type of Physics book I remember using last was I believe, Algebra-based. This was in high school. Based on my degree, I studied Algebra and Trigonometry.

Since I was being cheap, I asked a friend for her physics book She gave me...

"College Physics (7th Edition)Sears, Francis W.; Zemansky, Mark W.; Young, Hugh D. "

which to me seems like an outdated book and I think it is Algebra-based.

My question...
Do I continue with this book, or should I get one specifically Calculus-Based? If so what one?

Because I really like the challenge questions it asks at the end of every concept it covers per chapter.

Also a note: I have not taken Calculus. However, I plan on doing Calculus alongside a Calculus-based Physics book. This is also not for any school but purely for my knowledge. However, just in case I take some accredited class I would like to be well informed.

EDIT:

I think I should have made it clear.

I do not know if this book IS Algebra-based.
It seems to be using delta change. However, it also uses none linear motion. I don't remember any none linear motion equations used in Physics I took in high school. Which I think was Algebra-based.

So my question is not "algebra or calculus" based physics. My question was does anyone know ANYTHING about this book?

That is why I said "Specific" book. I think it was written in 1992-97.

Should I use this book based on this date? Is it outdated?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SZY is a very well known text. I wouldn't worry about the book being outdated. There have been no great advances in Freshman Physics in the past 60 years. In fact, I have some of Sears books from the 1950s that are great. If you like the book, stick with it.

Daverz said:
SZY is a very well known text. I wouldn't worry about the book being outdated. There have been no great advances in Freshman Physics in the past 60 years. In fact, I have some of Sears books from the 1950s that are great. If you like the book, stick with it.

Hey Davez, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the more I am reading it the more it is becoming interesting. Oddly enough they are using trigonometry and algebra in this but I suppose that is basic for an intro to physics. Which is a plus to me because I don't remember that much of trigonometry. This helps me review a lot of it. I did not think I would understand it, but I am understanding it just fine. I really like the examples they give.

I am tempted to start calculus alongside it. I might just do an equation in algebra and calculus. But I would have to modify the question to fit calculus style problem. Well, we will see how this goes.

EDIT:
I also want to point out that the title question for this thread is incorrect.

I am not asking about college physics. I am asking about a specific book. It so happens that the title of the books was "College Physics"

This is also not a question for if "should do algebra or calculus based". I just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about the specific book I mentioned and if so, what is it based on?

Unfortunately, I do not know if I can edit it.

Last edited:
No matter what, you should definitely use a calculus based textbook. It's not by chance that Newton discovered calculus before he made is great discoveries in physics (although for him these were only side subjects, and Haley had to beat him to publish his master piece, the Principia). It's much better to learn calculus with a little effort than trying to understand physics without it since this is impossible anyway!

vanhees71 said:
No matter what, you should definitely use a calculus-based textbook. It's not by chance that Newton discovered calculus before he made is great discoveries in physics (although for him these were only side subjects, and Haley had to beat him to publish his master piece, the Principia). It's much better to learn calculus with a little effort than trying to understand physics without it since this is impossible anyway!

Yeah, I know where you are coming from.

However, I am sure there were great discoveries before calculus. I am not disagreeing, but I have this book here and now so I might as well use it. Besides, it was free.

I still plan on doing calculus-based physics for more precision.

Thanks for the comment Van.

1. What is the difference between algebra-based and calculus-based college physics?

Algebra-based college physics focuses on the application of algebraic principles to solve problems and understand concepts in physics. Calculus-based college physics, on the other hand, uses calculus to analyze and explain physical phenomena. This means that calculus-based physics courses may cover more advanced topics and require a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.

2. Which type of college physics should I take for self-studying?

This depends on your background and level of comfort with mathematics. If you are comfortable with algebra and geometry, you can start with algebra-based college physics. If you have a strong foundation in calculus, you may want to challenge yourself with a calculus-based course. It is important to choose a course that is appropriate for your skill level to ensure a successful self-study experience.

3. Do I need to have prior knowledge of algebra/calculus to study college physics?

Yes, a basic understanding of algebra and geometry is necessary for algebra-based college physics, while a solid understanding of calculus is required for calculus-based college physics. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in trigonometry and basic mathematical principles.

4. Can I switch from algebra-based to calculus-based college physics or vice versa?

It is possible to switch between the two types of college physics, but it may require some additional effort and catching up. If you are considering switching, it is important to consult with your instructor or academic advisor to make sure it is the right decision for you.

5. What resources are available for self-studying college physics?

There are many online resources available for self-studying college physics, such as textbooks, lecture notes, practice problems, and video tutorials. You can also join online study groups or forums to connect with other self-studiers and ask questions. It is important to research and choose reputable resources that align with the specific course you are studying.